Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Rise and Shine

October 26, 2014

Gotta say, I'm fairly easy to entertain, but I love it when the shows I watch elevate my standards. Right now, just about all my faves are hitting one hundred percent satisfaction levels. Once again, The Walking Dead blew me away. My super hero shows, Arrow, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD and Gotham are amping up the tension. My batshit insane shows, Haven, Sleepy Hollow, and Sons of Anarchy keep getting a little crazier and that keeps me glued to the television.

I also like a good mystery and got to watch Inspector Lewis last week. I usually catch up on the series when it's available on DVD, but I couldn't sleep and PBS was showing it. I've also been watching previous seasons of The Murdoch Mysteries (also known as The Artful Detective) on Ovation. Why they changed the name for US television is beyond me, but it's a great, fun Canadian show.

Tonight's post is from Rise and Shine, a contemporary novella with fun characters.

Here's the tagline:

Abram Purdy sees the same barista, Whitney Boone, every day of the week. She always knows exactly what he needs to get his day started. He runs into her on a Saturday jog and discovers she's accepting a teaching position at the local university and Abram decides to see if she'll still make his morning coffee—at his place.

And a snippety peek…

Abram entered Rise and Shine, his gaze seeking his favorite barista. Sure enough, Whitney had a line about ten deep standing in front of her station. She glanced up and waved, nodding for him to take a spot at the end.
He flashed a smile and followed her prompt. He didn't wait long either. She moved through the order with efficient ease, chatting up her regulars, and getting to know two new customers. The woman had a way of putting people at ease, yet keeping the flow smooth and moving in fast order.
His turn arrived and she had his order ready before he even reached the counter.
Putting the lid on the cup, she grinned. "Strong, black, and hot. I love how easy you make my job." She slid the cup in his direction. "Did you have a nice weekend?"
He nodded. "Not bad. Got started on a couple of new projects and ran errands. How did your weekend go?"
She waggled her eyebrows. "I had a hot date with my favorite guy."
His lips twitched. "And did Emory behave himself or did he try to mount all the female golden doodles again?"
Whitney laughed. "He controlled himself this time." She leaned in. "I told my sister if she wanted me to keep dog sitting when she goes out of town, she had to get him neutered." She shook her head. "I never want another owner chasing me down the sidewalk again."
Abram chuckled. "I don't blame you." He moved toward the checkout area. "See you tomorrow."
She waved and started mixing the next order.
These two have been so much fun to write. And yes, I know I say that all the time. LOL



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment