Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Feeling Alive

Okay, lots of TV stuff to talk about. Gotham is truly upping the stakes and I love the way they're doing it. Gordon is so focused on the crazy sibling duo he's completely missing the trouble brewing with Cobblepot and Nygma. I can't wait to see what happens next. Sleepy Hollow had a decent fall finale. I've missed a bunch of important stuff and need to get caught up.

The Flash is coming along nicely. I'm excited to see where things go, leading up to the Legends of Tomorrow premiere. The same goes for Arrow. This season, between the two shows, there's been a great combo of moving the standard story arcs along with laying great groundwork for the spinoff getting ready to debut. Way to go shows!

Agents of SHIELD keeps throwing interesting twists and turns into the story and I love it. I'm excited to see where things go.

Haven is winding down and I'll be sad to see the show end. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the adventures of Nathan, Audrey, and Duke. I'm also hoping Syfy fills the void with something good, but I won't hold my breath.

I'm looking forward to The Walking Dead's newest episode. Again, I'm so thrilled with the way this season is unfolding. The balance of total batshit insanity, intense encapsulation, and little seeds being planted is a thing of beauty.

A quick rundown of some other shows. I'm loving the new season of The Librarians. This show makes me happy. I'm also totally in for Agent X. TNT is bringing some great stuff to the screen. Murdoch Mysteries is also coming up with great storylines, which after almost ten years, is so awesome.

Last but not least, I can safely say the most recent episode of Doctor Who hit a home run, even though I'm still not a big fan of Ishieldr / Me. I'm seriously hoping we won't see her as a companion, but I won't hold my breath. *sigh*

And that's it for this week's television roundup.

Tonight's post is from Feeling Alive, a novella where my characters find love through the purging of their grief.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Maddox loses her partner in a bomb explosion and shuts down emotionally. Wakefield arrives to interrogate Maddox about his brother's death, but she refuses to discuss the trauma. She ends up in another explosive situation and Wake finally breaks through Maddox's defenses, but he also opens the floodgates, which may get both killed.

And a snippety peek…

Maddox Reed sat in a corner of the room, well away from everyone else attending the funeral. She heard the whispers. Everyone blamed her for Avery Bigelow's death. And maybe they should. If she'd waited for backup instead of rushing headlong into the warehouse, Avery might not have gone around to the rear of the building. She heard the whine of the IED when she entered through the door and only a quick retreat saved her.
But the blast took out most of the north wall, which happened to be the section Avery crouched behind.
So, yeah, everyone held her responsible and couldn't resist buzzing about it, even at the funeral.
Maddox didn't care. The biggest part of her, her heart, died with Avery. Not in a they were so hot for each lover kind of way. No. Avery acted as Maddox's checks and balances. He kept her from doing stupid things. Listened to her when she tried to sort out her life. Made her human. Without him, she didn't know how to function.
But she'd have to figure it out, because she refused to let anyone else deliver Avery's eulogy. The task should have fallen to his brother, Wakefield, since their parents died over a decade ago. But Wakefield couldn't make it, deployed on some super-secret military mission, and Maddox owed it to Avery to make sure his friends and coworkers knew what a great man he'd been.
Like they didn't already, but Maddox needed to speak the words. If for no other reason than to feel like she'd given him a proper send off.
The funeral director placed a hand on Maddox's shoulder. "It's time, Detective Reed."
Maddox rose and met the man's sympathetic gaze. No doubt he'd heard the rumble of opinion regarding her role in Avery's death. Giving the guy a curt nod, she slowly made her way to the podium next to Avery's casket.
Bracing her hands on either side of the structure, she looked out over the room before clearing her throat. "Avery Bigelow lived life to the fullest and made me a better person…"

I have a feeling this one is going to come together nicely. My characters are a joy to write.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment