Sunday, July 2, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Wind It Up

Welcome to July, meaning half the year is gone and I have no idea where it went. LOL

This has been a crazy week. I'm so far behind on my fave shows. I missed the premiere of Killjoys and I'm carving, carving time out Monday to make sure I don't get too far behind.

I did get to catch most of Dark Matter and Wynonna Earp. I really do like where things are going with both shows.

I've decided I'll probably end up binge watching Orphan Black. I haven't had the time to catch up on my missed episodes. As for Doctor Who… I'm just so disgusted with this season I don't even care how it ended. This makes me sad. Considering some of my very favorite episodes were written by Moffat—oddly, all before he became showrunner—I'm truly discouraged with how much he's destroyed the joy of watching the show for me. Here's looking forward to Chris Chibnall's tenure. May he bring back my love for the show.

Finished up my rewatch of City Homicide and think I'll be moving on to Sense8 for my next binge marathon. Also caught another episode or two of Young Justice. Almost through the first season and I like the setup for what I think is coming.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Wind It Up, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "that's it".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Garner Mason enlists in the military and leaves Rae Manilow behind—breaking her heart. Rae meets Sheriff Felix Reynolds and falls hard, settling down with him in his mountain cabin. When Garner rolls into town intent on making amends with Rae, she's trapped between two men she deeply loves and can't see a way out of her predicament.

And a snippety peek…

Rae stood beside the plot where her dad had been laid to rest. "I'll miss you, old man." She nodded and the caretaker started filling in the grave.
Muffled footsteps sounded. "Can I give you a lift, Rae?" Felix Reynolds stopped beside her, blocking some of the wind gusting through the trees.
Rae's lips curved upward. "Going above and beyond the call of duty, sheriff?" He'd taken over after his dad died in the line of duty—a short six months ago.
Felix wrapped an arm around her. "If you need a shoulder, I'm here. The hard part is coming."
Rae tilted her face to meet his gaze. "I know. And you had more to deal with, leaving the police department, moving here to take over for your dad." She laced her fingers with his. "Thanks for the offer." Different circumstances, her dad lost his battle with pancreatic cancer, but the grief remained the same.
Rae turned to leave but paused. She'd closed her business, Good Stuff, a combination coffee shop, tea room, eat-in and carryout diner, and gift emporium. She had nowhere to go except home.
Alone.
Swinging back, she flashed a tentative smile. "Would you like to have dinner with me?"
His eyes widened and he swallowed, tilting his head to one side. She'd caught him off-guard with the invitation. A welcome swirl of amusement licked through her. They'd hit it off almost immediately—he'd stopped by frequently to get the lay of the land from her dad, a dispatcher with the sheriff's department—but had yet to spend any time alone together.
She wouldn't mind changing the dynamic, but… while he'd settled in and found his footing, he'd kept some distance. Something she understood completely. After Garner left, Rae avoided anything long-term. Felix might be single, but he could have baggage like she did.
Felix nodded. "I'd like that. Should I meet you at Good Stuff?" He fished his keys out of his pocket. "Or can I give you a lift?" His gaze scanned the grounds for her car.
Rae linked her arm around his elbow. "I'd love a ride, but back to the house instead of the shop." She slid her gaze to meet his. "I have so many condolence packages from my dad's harem ladies, and everyone else, I'll never be able to eat everything by myself." Most of the food came from her business, which amused and touched her.
Felix's lips quirked. "He had quite the following, didn't he?" He guided her to his SUV, parked under a huge oak tree.
Rae laughed. "An understatement. His social calendar put mine to shame." Gah! Overshare much, Rae?
Felix opened her door and stood back while she settled into the passenger seat. "There's a lot to be said for keeping things interesting and your dad had it down to a science." He shut the chilly air out and crossed in front of the vehicle, hunching his shoulders against a gust of wind before sliding into the driver's side. "I gotta give your old man credit for keeping, what… a dozen women… happy for over a decade." Starting the SUV, he pulled away from the tree and followed the lane to the exit.
Rae chuckled. "It was ten. Ada, Cora, Ellen, Gretchen, Ivy, Kelly, Mona, Olivia, Quinn, and Susie." She blew out a breath. "I'm pretty sure they're all figuring out who to vie for next." Not that she blamed them. They were all good women and deserved to find someone else to shower attention on.
Felix drove through town, heading toward the house she'd shared with her dad. "Did he have any favorites? We used to talk a lot when he was on duty and he never mentioned one woman's name more than the others." Turning onto her street, he slowed to adjust for the speed limit.
Rae lifted a shoulder. "I don't think he did. He was only intimate with a few, but he didn't spend more time with any one over another." She shook her head. "I think each one had a trait he loved but none had exactly what he wanted." She'd given up trying to figure her dad's dating habits out a long time ago.
Felix pulled into her drive and shut off the engine. "Maybe your mom was a hard act to follow."
Rae blinked, surprised by the astute statement. "True. They had ten years together and losing her hit him hard." She popped the door open and Felix followed suit. "At least I think it did. He didn't talk about Mom much." Rae never pressed him, assuming he found talking about her painful.
Felix followed her to the front porch and laid a hand on hers when she slid the key into the lock. "I'm sorry. Feels like I've kicked up a ghost or two."
She turned after twisting the knob. "Not really. But I'm glad you're here." She nodded toward the interior. "I'm not used to the quiet yet. Keep expecting to hear Dad's booming voice when I get home." She glanced away, blinking tears back.
Felix cupped her cheek, his thumb stroking a stray teardrop. "I'll stay as long as you'd like. The first night, from what I’m told, is the hardest… but it does get better and easier." His hand dropped and he gave her some space.
She backed into the house and stepped to the side, grabbing hold of the heavy oak for support. The gentle touch of Felix's palm lingered on her face and a slow burn started deep in her core. Long dormant synapses fired in her brain and instead of fighting the potential possibilities, Rae welcomed the future of "what if" with Felix Reynolds.
Hopefully, he'd be open to exploring the unknown prospects they might discover together.

Looking forward to really diving into this one. It's all plotted out and brainstormed.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment