Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Anything Goes

October 8, 2017

And so the crazypants onslaught begins. October starts the official launch of "let's go Mach II with our hair on fire" season. Homecoming is this weekend and my daughter is hosting nine other couples for pictures and dinner. Then we slide into Halloween, followed by the fall sports banquet, Thanksgiving, Christmas, the New Year, and starting January 11, birthdays for all but one of my immediate family. LOL See… crazypants.

So, moving on to what calms me… television. The Last Ship proved, once again, it's never a good idea to mess with a wolf. Seriously, a few nice reveals were dropped and the episode let Fletch redeem himself… kind of. I'm probably in the minority but I'm not quite ready to forgive his transgressions yet.

Still need to watch Teen Wolf's finale. The past week got crazy busy so I didn't have time.

Finished up The Defenders and, yeah, I pretty much loved it. Looking forward to more from the individual series and also to The Punisher whenever it arrives. Heh, if it hasn't already because I'm that far behind right now.

Almost finished with Hawaii Five-0. Truly can't see how season eight is going to be decent without Chin or Kono. I guess I'll play it by ear.

I'm all caught up on Gotham and I love this show. The soft intro of Bruce's alter ego ended up being exactly perfect. Penguin raining havoc is a joy to watch. And poor Jim is getting ready for another round of the absolute wrong woman for him bingo. Falcone's daughter is probably not what the doctor ordered for the guy. Just saying.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Anything Goes, a novella that started as an exercise to write a story via flashback and keep it interesting.

Here's the mini-blurb:

On the eve of Olivia Barton and Luke Johnston's wedding, their friends and coworkers at the twelfth precinct throw a rehearsal 'roast' for the couple. Their unconventional courtship is chronicled for everyone to enjoy and none of the names are changed to protect anybody.

And a snippety peek…

Luke stopped by a cadet whose attention focused on the wall of academy records. She had her dark hair pulled back in a standard issue ponytail and her profile showed determination and a not a little arrogance. Her finger pointed to a name and tapped it.

He recognized the name.

She slid her gaze sideways, her hazel eyes intense. "This guy has the top score in every category." She pursed her lips then let a slow smirk cross her face. "But not for long."

Luke inclined his chin. "Really? Why is that?" He'd arrived at the shooting gallery for some practice and wore his civilian clothes.

She rocked back on her heels. "Because I intend to beat his record." Her voice oozed confidence.

Enough that Luke wanted to her to try, just to see if she could.

He tilted his head to one side. "You know, I'd like to see that. Mind if I join you in the range?" She narrowed her eyes and he quickly amended. "Just for fun on my part. Besides, you need someone to witness your achievement, don't you…" He glanced at her name tag. "Cadet Burton?" She filled out her uniform with a fit frame that had plenty of curves.

He couldn't wait to see how well she handled a weapon.

Cadet Burton nodded. "Actually, yeah. What's the point, if I don't have someone to back up my claim when I win?" She did a slow once-over of him from head to toe and a hint of heat filtered her gaze. "I think you'll do." Directing her head toward the end of the corridor, she motioned for him to precede her.

Luke bit back a bark of laughter. Cadet Burton didn't lack self-assurance and he'd give her props… especially if she beat the record-holder.

Then again… she had no idea Luke held the top score in every category.

I'm really having a great time with this one. Can't wait to see how everything comes together.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment