Sunday, December 17, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Camden General

Whew. What a crazy week. I'm still in the throes of trying to get the house cleaned up so we can decorate our tree. We usually wait until Christmas Eve to add the ornaments, which is a good thing because I've misplaced a package I bought to go along with our superhero theme this year.

I'm behind on my shows again. Between shopping, editing, and writing, I need about four more hours each day to get stuff done. LOL That said, I'm almost through the first season of Chicago Fire and, yeah, I really love the show. I'm going the DVD route because I never watch first run anything on NBC. I'm in about year twenty of a boycott and don't see that changing anytime soon.

I've also been enjoying holiday episodes of my favorite shows. There are so many classic television shows with themed episodes and I'm trying to build my collection. I also discovered a new to us channel on my local feeds and it shows a lot of old favorites. I won't complain. It's fun to revisit stuff I loved back in the day.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Camden General, a novella that explores what happens when a one-time hookup becomes way more personal.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Jayden and Whit, two of Camden General's best emergency department staff, come together after losing a patient. Trying to navigate the fallout becomes even more difficult when their one-time hookup turns into a very personal relationship.

And a snippety peek…

Dr. Jayden Betts entered the staff lounge and noticed a new face on the nursing board. She checked the roster and discovered the handsome image belonged to Whit Brackenreid. The name pinged but she couldn't place why.
Shrugging a shoulder, she turned, poured a mug of coffee, and tried to remember where she'd seen the surname. "Too many case files in too short a time." Probably stupid of her to go back through the last six months but she liked to get a feel for the types of cases she'd be dealing with.
Her transfer to Camden General a week ago still had her head in a whirl. "And I've still got that new Doc smell." She added a little creamer to her coffee and stirred.
"What's that, Doctor Betts?" Wendy popped into the room and opened the fridge.
Jayden shook her head. "We've got a new nurse? Does that mean I'm no longer the ED newbie?" She added a hopeful smile and waggled her eyebrows.
Wendy laughed. "Well… kind of but kind of not." She put her dinner in the microwave and moved closer to the table. "Whit's a very familiar face around here—to most of us." She leaned in. "He's a former paramedic making the transition to our side." She put air quotes around the "our side".
Jayden gave an exaggerated sigh. "Damn. That figures. I'm still the local new guy."
Wendy gave her a commiserating pat on the shoulder. "Sorry, Doc. Seems so." She got and retrieved her food. "You'll like Whit. He's smart, quick on his feet—he had to be when he was running squad—and, whoa boy, very easy on the eyes." She dropped down and vented the lid of her meal.
Jayden quirked an eyebrow. "Is there anything there… between you two?" Not really her business, but she didn't like to step on toes.
Wendy shook her head. "Nah. He's a total flirt but not inappropriate. And he's all business during a trauma." She tilted her head to one side. "At least he was when he ran on the fire department." Blowing across her fork, she popped the bite into her mouth.
Jayden nodded. "Good to know." She got up and drained her mug. "Hopefully, we'll have a light evening and I can remember everyone's names." Rinsing her cup, she put it in the strainer and waved to Wendy on the way out of the lounge.
She should have known voicing the desire for a light night would blow up in her face.

I'm truly happy with the possibilities here. If everything comes together for this story, I might have some additional ideas for follow-ups.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment