Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Feeling Alive

My incredible and awesome gram left the world at around 1AM this morning. She gave me the very best adventures while I grew up and I'm going to miss her something fierce. As she said the last time I had the chance to be with her, "It's no picnic getting old." But she aged with beauty and grace. Considering I'm pretty much the spitting image of her, I hope I have the same experience.

It was a pretty great week for television. Legends of Tomorrow had a great episode. I loved having Wally and Rip together for an adventure and the whole pirate scenario kicked ass. I'm always sad when the show gets nitpicked to death. That said, it's not perfect, but I like that it isn't.

I missed the new episode of The Flash, but I'll catch up soon. Black Lightning turned out a good hour. I like having more of the pieces and outing the new kid on the block to her parents ended up being way better than I expected.

Arrow broke my heart. This is still one of my very favorite shows and having the two teams battling each other kills me. I'm not sure where the whole Laurel storyline is going, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. I'm really excited to have Roy return even if he'll probably get tortured… again.

I'm almost finished with season four of Chicago Fire. Still pretty thrilled with the overall arcs of the characters and I loved Mouch and Trudy's wedding. I have a new DVD to watch tonight and then I think it's on to season five.

I finished the first season of The Punisher. Gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy I actively wanted to die at the end is still kicking but I'm okay with that. The other one I wanted to see die a horrible death got what he had coming, so there's that. Here's hoping there's a season two.

I have to play catch-up with Gotham's newest episode. I'm also getting a few of my foreign shows lined up. Murdoch Mysteries and Marcella are on tap when I can find a few spare hours. Looking forward to both!

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Feeling Alive, a novella featuring main characters that experience and emotional high together but have to face the hurdle of losing someone close to them.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Maddox loses her partner in a bomb explosion and shuts down emotionally. Wakefield arrives to interrogate Maddox about his brother's death, but she refuses to discuss the trauma. She ends up in another explosive situation and Wake finally breaks through Maddox's defenses, but he also opens the floodgates, which may get both killed.

And a snippety peek…

Wakefield Bigelow dragged his weary ass into the base camp and checked his weapon at the storage locker. He'd been in the field for two weeks and needed a shower, sleep, and whatever passed for food right now. A large deep dish pizza would invade his dreams but he'd settle for anything that didn't resemble an MRE. His quarters looked like home about now.
A bravo team member poked his head inside the barracks. "Yo, Bigs, the CO wants to see you ASAP. Something about your brother."
Wake went on alert. "Avery?" Why the hell would his brother contact him?
Jason quirked a brow. "Dude, you've only got one brother, right?"
A sick ball of dread dropped in Wake's stomach. "Shit. Yeah, just Avery." He nudged Jason out of the way and double-timed it to the CO's office.
Colonel Griffin Ames, retired military now heading up the civilian security operations, didn't demand strict discipline but he usually got it anyway. The man commanded a clean unit and garnered everyone's respect.
When Wake entered, the dread turned to anxious alarm. Colonel Ames's face delivered the news before he opened his mouth.
Wake gripped the back of the seat in front of the colonel's desk. "What happened?" His knuckles went white while waiting on the answer.
The colonel didn't pull his punches. "Your brother died in the line of duty a week ago. We received word this morning." He came around and clasped Wake's shoulder. "I'm sorry, Bigelow. I've arranged emergency leave for you. A military plane is standing by, waiting on your arrival. They'll fly you home so you can make arrangements for him." He directed Wake toward the exit.
Numb, Wake's feet moved but his brain took a moment to catch up. "He'll already be buried. We each left instructions with our folks' attorneys." Considering their professions, Avery had made the suggestion.
Almost like he assumed Wake wouldn't be around if something happened to his brother.
And he hadn't been.
Ames squeezed Wake's shoulder. "You have our condolences, Bigelow. Take whatever time you need. We're wrapping up here. I'll forward our new orders when I get them."
Wake blinked when he discovered the colonel had led him to the barracks. "Uh, yeah, thank you, sir." He entered quarters and grabbed his go bag.
Turning, he left and made his way to the waiting SUV. Food could wait. A shower could wait. He'd grab some sleep on the plane. Maybe when he woke up the nightmare of losing his brother would recede long enough for Wake to focus.
He wanted answers and he needed to be clear-headed when he started asking questions.

I'm rather happy with how this Wake scene came together. I wanted a specific tone and I feel like I got it the way I hoped for.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment