Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Fits and Starts

Well… I'm coming off a bittersweet week. I got to spend my birthday with almost my entire family, which is terrific, but the reason not so much. We buried my beloved Gram on Wednesday and, being in Ohio, the weather ran the gamut from rain to snow to a sleet / hail mixture. Finally, the sun came out toward the end of the day.

Television had a good week. Legends had a great episode even if I can't quite decide if I actually like Damian's campy antics or if I really hate them. It's pretty much a toss-up.

Tuesday's shows are on my list to catch up on. The draining day left me with little to no brain power to watch television. The same goes for Riverdale on Wednesday.

I did catch Arrow and, as always, I enjoyed the episode. I rather like how they keep changing up the versions of Laurel. And having Roy back is always kick ass. I've missed him. I'm also interested in seeing how things play out with Dinah and Oliver. In all honesty, I'm a little on the fence about the Dinah character. Her thirst for vengeance isn't one I bought into, but I'll finish watching to see what happens.

I need to catch up on Gotham also. Totally forgot it returned at the beginning of the month.

Watched a little more of season five of Chicago Fire and still love the show. Looking forward to another DVD this week to see what else happens.

Started Jessica Jones this weekend and season two feels like it's going to be a wild ride. Can't wait to see what else the show has in store for me.

I'll be playing catch up on Murdoch Mysteries again, but I did see episode fifteen and thoroughly enjoyed.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fits and Starts, a novella that got a writing community prompt start with the words "get out".

Here's the mini-blurb:

After escaping from a madman's clutches, Pru Stark can't quite find her footing again. She pushes her man, Dane Callaway, away and refuses to see the little girl she saved. Dane can give her space, but he won't stay on the sidelines, not when Pru needs him the most, even if she can't quite admit it.

And a snippety peek…

Dane slammed his hand on the desk. "It's been two weeks. Why the hell aren't we combing the district for her?" He glared at the phone, waiting on a response.
A room of twelve board members collectively cleared their throats.
Only one had the balls to verbally reply. "Given Stark's penchant for going off book, pulling resources to search for her isn't warranted. Not yet." Blaine Kudrow… it figured.
Pru's blunt style often annoyed others. And, of course, Blaine topped the list. Dammit.
Dane heaved a sigh. "Then when? The longer we wait the more damage control we could get into." Seriously… someone had to put a stop to the escalating break-ins, before word got out.
Nagy Harnish jumped into the conversation. "Look, Callaway, give it two more weeks. Unless the thefts escalate further." A general consensus sounded in the background.
Dane tamped a flash of anger down. "I'm going to commit everyone not on an active operation to trolling for intel. I trust no one's gonna have a problem approving the overtime." Considering he signed the paychecks, the board could kiss his ass if they did.
Kudrow snorted. "Like you'd care or let that stop you. By all means, use your people however you see fit. You certainly take advantage of having your lover as one of primary agents." The room hissed their disapproval of her blatant insult. "Fine, fine. I'll shut up now. If your people don't turn anything up within two weeks, we'll revisit allocating personnel from the other divisions."
Dane tersely thanked the group and cut the call before he threatened to blast the lot of them. His relationship with Pru rarely interfered with ongoing missions. Hell, he'd waited a full week before bringing his concerns to the board so he wouldn't be accused of playing favorites.
Sitting down at his desk, he drummed his fingers on the smooth surface. "Something isn't right. My gut's screaming Pru's in danger."

This one end up being moved to my science fiction romance pseudonym but I love how the story is coming together.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment