Sunday, May 13, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Going All Out

May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Whether you have offspring, fur babies, or play a surrogate parent role for someone, you're awesome!

My weekly television roundup is kind of jammed with goodness. I caught two episodes of Krypton and I'm completely sold on this show. I'm hoping it gets another season.

Also caught two episodes of Endeavor. Finished up the first series and started the second. I rather enjoy this show and really like the actor in the lead role of Endeavor Morse.

My DVDs this week were movies. Blackhat and Red Dawn. I didn't finish Red Dawn but I'll catch it at another time. For me, the original Red Dawn is going to be hard to top.

Finished up the first arc of Classic Who with "An Unearthly Child". I also started "The Daleks" and watched about half of the first episode. Over on CW Seed, I started the live action version of Constantine and enjoyed the first episode. I'm hoping to get through the whole season before new episodes of Legends of Tomorrow begin.

I still love Gotham. The totally batshit craziness brings me a ton of joy with each episode. I'm so happy this show truly found its footing and delivers great viewing with each new week.

Also caught some additional season six episodes of Chicago Fire and another from season five of Chicago PD. I'm a little miffed they're making a mole of one of my fave characters but I'll see how it all plays out. I truly hate Woods though. Just saying.

Arrow and The Flash both had great episodes. I like seeing the two couples work through their roadblocks. That said, I honestly can't wait to see both villains go down. I'm pretty much done with being patient.

Riverdale brought more crazy and I'm still an episode behind. I do like how much tension simmers below the surface and how quickly alliances have to be made and discarded. Kudos to Mark Consuelos. He makes me totally hate Hiram. I also have a small suspicion about who fired the shots at the mayoral debate but I'll refrain from saying… in case I'm completely off my guess. LOL

I got another episode of Blindspot in and, well, I'm trying to figure out Roman's goal. I really don't want him to be another Shepherd so here's hoping that's not the direction they're going in.

Quick mention for Ghost Squad. Caught two more episodes and seriously enjoy the hell out of this show. The emotional toll is interesting to watch and the slow erosion of trust in anything also packs a punch. Great stuff.

Brief shout out for The Sarah Conner Chronicles. Rewatched the pilot episode and, damn, I forgot how awesome that was.

Last but not least… some thoughts on Jessica Jones. I finished the second season and honestly hate Trish with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I have no idea where they'll take her if the show has a third season, but off a tall building in Manhattan wouldn't bother me one damn bit. If they can redeem her, I'd be on board, but I'm honestly not all that interested in seeing a redemption arc for her. I hate her that much right now. I do hope Malcolm and Jessica end up back on good terms and I was happy to see Jessica stop by to see Oscar and the kid. I'd welcome a third season if we get one.

And that's it for my jam-packed week in television. Tonight's post is from Going All Out, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of show the first real date of your main couple.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Lance and Xola work together and have a solid friendship, but there's always a little something more between them. Lance proposes a date, something other than a movie or grabbing a bite to eat at the same time. Xola accepts and the fun—and nervous tension—begins.

And a snippety peek…

Xola Wayne ducked into the corner coffee shop after putting in a solid workout. Taking her spot in the line to order, she caught sight of a fellow firefighter two spots ahead of her. Lance Silvermane. Yum on a stick… in or out of uniform, which he currently wore. Probably getting off shift and grabbing his morning java before heading to teach a class.
The queue moved forward, putting Lance at the counter.
He smiled at the barista. "Americano."
She gave him a flirty grin, took his cash, and nodded toward the pickup area.
Xola rolled her eyes. He's got 'em falling at his feet. While he waited for his coffee, he glanced around and met Xola's gaze. A small smirk played at his lips.
He got his order and moved off to the side when Xola stepped up to place hers.
The barista gave her a bored stare. "What can I get for you?"
Xola laughed. "Large dark roast with two sweeteners." She paid with exact change and moved on to wait for her jumpstart to the day.
Notice how she didn't give me a flirty grin.
Xola picked her cup up and turned around to bump into Lance.
He chuckled. "We've gotta quit meeting like this." He fell into step beside her. "What is it? Three times this week?"
Xola flashed a smile. "Yep. Sounds about right." A table opened up and she made a beeline for it. "Wanna join me?" She dropped into an empty chair.
Lance checked the time and nodded. "Sure. I've got the late class at the academy this morning." He settled across from her, stretching his legs out.
Xola took a sip of the hot drink and winced when she burned her tongue. "Gah. I gotta stop doing that." She popped the lid off and blew across the top. "You'd think I remember, right?" She shook her head.
Lance lifted a shoulder. "Eh, usually you're dashing back outside and the coffee has time to cool before you take a drink." He waited a beat. "At least I assume so. Today's the first I've seen you take a seat to enjoy your brew."
Xola quirked an eyebrow. "Been keeping tabs, have you?"
He sputtered on the sip he'd taken. "Uh, no. Not really." He wiped the droplets from the table. "Wait, you're messing with me, aren't you." He made it a statement.
Because of course she had been.
Xola laughed. "Pretty much. Nice to see you using your keen observational skills, though." She took a tentative drink and found the coffee cool enough to get a good gulp. "Except maybe when the barista is flirting up a storm." Her lips curved in a smile.
Lance rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I'm trying not to encourage her." He flicked a quick glance toward the woman manning the counter and sank lower in the seat.
Xola smirked. "Good luck with that." She waggled her eyebrows. "I think she's crushing pretty hard on you."
Lance lifted a shoulder. "Eh, maybe. Too bad she's not my type."
Okay, she couldn't let that tidbit slide. "Oh, yeah? Sexy curves and a perky ponytail don't cut it?" She leaned forward a little. "What is your type, Lance?" Bantering with him shouldn't be so much fun.
Lance quirked an eyebrow. "You mean you don't know?" He brought his cup up to his lips and took a long drink. "Come on… not even a guess?"
The wicked little smile playing at mouth should've been a warning.
But, no… instead, she narrowed her gaze and played it safe. "I could hazard a guess, but you'll be late for your class if we play that game."
Lance glanced at the clock and nodded. "Good point." He got up, giving her a long, slow once-over. "I'd say you're pretty damn close to being my type." He flashed a grin and headed for the door with a teasing glint in his eyes.
Xola barked out a laugh. "Touché, my friend." Draining her cup, she stood and hit the trash can on her way out.
Strolling toward her apartment, she didn't fight the smile spreading across her face.
You're pretty damn close to being my type.
Those words made her see him in an entirely new light. The not-off-limits kind. No, she shouldn't go there. They often worked together and had a solid friendship vibe when they did. He'd been messing with her like she did with him earlier.
She skipped up the front steps to her townhouse. "Nice to know he thinks I'm attractive, though."

I'm going to have so much fun filling in the blanks on this story. Writing how the characters end up going on a date and how they approach it is enjoyable.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment