Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Hang Ten

My youngest kidlet is back from her trip to Disney and it's so nice to have her home. It's also terrific she had the opportunity to visit every theme park in Disney's repertoire. She had such a great time. On a proud parent note, she enjoyed Epcot the best and it makes my entire year because that was my favorite when I went to Disney many, many moons ago. I'm resisting the urge to plan a full-on Disney vacation… mainly because I don't have the time. But it would be so much fun!

Had something of an off week in television viewing. I'm battling a nasty cold / allergies / upper respiratory "ick" that's kicking my teeth in. But… I did get quite a bit watched.

I started a new-to-me Australian show called Canal Road and it's rather good. I'm two episodes in and I'm hooked. I also got to finish up Archangel and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In my classic rewatch, I caught Midsomer Murders and several episodes of Classic Who. I finished up the Dalek episodes and started the new arc. I'd forgotten what a shifty guy the first doctor can be. I also caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Endeavor continues to make me happy. I also got another episode of Constantine in and I'm quite excited for the character to make the move to Legends of Tomorrow. I started a show I only got to watch sporadically when it originally aired, Pensacola Wings of Gold. I actually hope I can catch other late 90s early 00s shows. I missed so much back then.

On DVD, I finished up The Batman's third season and started the fourth. I also caught a few episodes of current seasons of Chicago Fire and Blindspot. Gotta say the whole Hurst arc is turning out to be kind of exciting.

Band of Brothers and Strike Back gave me my military show fix. I continue to be blown away by the casting in Band of Brothers. So many good choices.

I'm five episodes into Sense8 and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to watch this show. That said, I can binge the entire thing and see the finale in one go so there's that bit of good news. Fearless's third episode kind of broke me a little. It's a dark, dark show.

Krypton's first season proved to be pretty awesome. I have no idea where they'll go for the second season, but the end was kind of chilling. Jana called the whole General Zod ruling over Krypton thing and I'm truly hoping Lyta is now regretting her choice. If she isn't that character is dead to me. Just saying.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hang Ten, a novella with sun, sand, and surfing.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Farren and Penn—professional surfers—have very different styles when competing. Farren goes for broke, taking chances with moves that others won't try. Penn is all about the physics of his craft, sometimes holding back because he can't predict everything. Two different methods, opposite ends of the spectrum, but an interesting mix when they're off their boards and out of the water.

And a snippety peek…

Penn Cobblepot accepted top honors with a brief nod to the judges and jaunty salute to the fans gather around the awards area. He rode to a smooth finish on a wave not quite as spectacular as Farren's. She'd had the perfect swell.
And epically crashed.
He could've predicted the wipe out when she flowed too far into the cusp of the wave. Not that Farren would care. She surfed for the sheer love of the sport.
He stopped to get his paperwork signed for winning the top prize.
Backing away, he bumped into Avery Jones, the runner-up. "Damn, sorry about that." Tucking his board under his arm, he moved out of her way.
She sent him a bright smile. "No problem. You were magnificent out there today." A splash of pink colored her cheeks.
Penn's lips quirked. "Yeah, thanks. Caught a good one." He nodded toward the officials table. "Heard your run was spot on. Go on then. Better collect that prize money."
She beamed and ducked into the small covered alcove. Penn shook his head. Avery had talent and didn't cop an attitude. She'd do well on the local circuit. And hopefully stay away from the dickheads who preyed on rookie competitors.
 Strolling along the beach, he cut up the path that led to the cabins the contestants used. After stowing his board, he grabbed a quick shower then went out to the hammock strung between two sturdy trees. With the ocean breeze and shady limbs, the swinging bed looked more than inviting.
Maneuvering onto the canvas surface, he stretched out. "Catching a few zzzs sounds pretty damn good right now." He'd be awake in plenty of time for the campfire later that night.
 After all, he'd earned bragging rights.

I'm having a good time with this one. Penn and Farren are fun characters.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment