Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Healthy Appetite

Ugh. I love fireworks but my dog… not so much. Seriously, July is a rough month because various places around where I live have events and they're within hearing distance. The poor dog just shakes, trembles, and pants like it's the end of the world. Oddly enough, thunderstorms don't tend to bother her much. When they're really severe she gets a little antsy and won't settle down, but she doesn't tremble and shake. Here's to getting through the midway point of the month when the last show is scheduled. Whew.

Had a decent viewing week for television shows. Caught Endeavor and Midsomer Murders. The mystery shows are always a treat.

Caught the second part of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Started season five The Batman and it's terrific.

Watched my military shows, Band of Brothers and Strike Back. I'd forgotten how crazy Strike Back gets about midway through season four. I'm looking forward to seeing if season five keeps the frantic pace alive.

I'm almost finished with season one of Sense8. I love the interactions of the group and how the fallout from those is super awkward sometimes. I'd love to have a little more information about the whole conspiracy angle but I'm truly thrilled with how the first season unfolds.

Got another two episodes of The Sarah Conner Chronicles in and, seriously, that was some awesome television. I miss the show a lot.

I only got to episode four of Mutant X before the app pulled the show. Now I'll have to find it somewhere else. Pensacola Wings of Gold had a good episode but I'm not glued to it the way I thought I'd be. I'm almost finished with Constantine. It's a bit of a struggle to stay attached to the episodes but I want the backstory when John joins the Legends lineup.

Last but not least, Canal Road is such a great show. I'm totally invested in Spence's mystery and I want to smack Olivia for telling him to not watch the video on his wife's laptop. I'm certain he'd have the proof his wife and son's death was murder. GAH!

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Healthy Appetite, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of creating a story built around one character discovering the other's healthy appetite and wondering what else they crave.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Thad Nightingale meets Kailey Dent during a weeklong getaway and finds her approach to life refreshing. Not only does she eat with gusto, she has a thirst for adventure that leaves Thad hungry for more.

And a snippety peek…

Thad Nightingale. The man who works hard and plays life safe. That should be his motto. Thad kept his head down, nose to the grindstone, and didn't make a lot of waves. But he had built a considerable fortune. "According to my physician, my motto will end up being my epitaph if I don't learn balance." Between work and life. It's been so long since I had a life I'm not sure what one looks like.
 Hence the reason he'd come to the mountain. He had a meeting with a realtor to look at three investment properties and hoped to get a feel for the snowboarding opportunities. Yeah, yeah, work. But he planned to get some skiing in and spend some downtime enjoying the ambiance of the competition. "No one gets this whole balance thing down in one try."
At least he didn't. Pulling up under the canopy of the lodge, he checked his reservation time. Within fifteen minutes. He'd go in and see if they were ready for him yet.
An SUV pulled in behind him and two people got out. They familial resemblance clocked them as brother and sister or maybe cousins. The duo laughed and headed inside the building, giving Thad a good look at the woman. Average height with a knit hat covering dark hair streaked with a bold magenta. Her eyes were a dark shade, brown or maybe green. The joy on her face sucked him in. Here's a woman who enjoys life. Probably with a healthy appetite for fun.
Getting out of his vehicle, he lost sight of the two after they entered the building. A large group followed behind them and crowded through the main doors. Thad grabbed his suitcase and rolled it along behind him up to the line now formed in the lobby.
The seasoned staff moved through the groups in a quick fashion and Thad didn't have long to wait for his turn. He got his keycard and headed for the bank of elevators. The throng waiting for rides had him staying back a little. He didn't mind hanging around until the cars were less crowded.
Propped against the wall, he caught sight of the woman again. She had her suitcase and an overnight bag and laughed at something the guy said. He had a snowboard tucked under his arm and sent a smirk in her direction.
"I told you. I'm not going anywhere without this while we're here."
She responded with a tart reply. "You're gonna look pretty stupid with a snowboard for a constant companion." Her eye roll added effect.
The guy quirked an eyebrow. "You saying you're not gonna hang around with me?"
She snorted. "No way, dude. Family obligation only goes so far." The doors opened and she shouldered her way into the enclosure.
Her brother followed and wedged in behind her. When the doors slid shut, Thad made a moment of eye contact with the woman. She flashed a twisted half-grin.
Thad blew out a breath. "Damn. Nice." The spark of interest surprised him and he liked it.
"Watch out for that one."
Thad flicked his gaze to the side. "You know her?"
A short, balding guy shook his head. "Used to. She competed here about five years ago." He lowered his voice. "Couldn't cut it and walked away, leaving her trainer high and dry in the middle of the season." A snort of derision followed. "Kailey Dent, that's her name. Her brother is an up and comer now. She must be here to watch him compete."
Thad lifted his chin in a nod but didn't say anything. The next set of doors opened and the little man elbowed his way up through the crowd to get inside. He gave Thad a pointed look and shook his head, almost like a warning.
Instead of taking heed, Thad listened to his gut. Kailey Dent intrigued him. The little spark of interest flamed into something hot and bright.
"Maybe that whole work and life balance thing won't be as hard as I thought."
He definitely wanted to be on the lookout for Ms. Dent.

I've been watching some snowboarding to get a good vibe for writing this one. I'd love to check out some cross-country skiing, too.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment