Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday Snippet: The Deep End

Hi!

Not much new in TV this week, so finishing up from last week's new episodes. The Walking Dead is my on the fence show. Some weeks I love it, some weeks I'm very 'meh'. Last week was definitely a 'meh' week, but the new episode tonight is pretty good, but the Governor just doesn't excite me all that much.

Sleepy Hollow continues to make me happy. It's so crazy insane I can't not like it. This week's Arrow and Sons of Anarchy have me ready to get through Monday so I can watch new stuff. J I also quite enjoyed Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D. I'm not nearly as disappointed as a lot of fans are, but I'm a long time believer in setting up story arcs for bigger payoffs later.

That's it for this week. Should have some great reactions for my next post.

Tonight's snippet is from The Deep End, a novella filled with sibling rivalry over the woman of the brothers' dreams.

Here's the tagline: (Which I'm honestly not thrilled with, it needs work)

Raelin is six months into a relationship with Eames, but isn't feeling the spark… until she meets Eric, Eames' brother. The sibling rivalry takes an ugly turn and Raelin takes a big step back so the men can mend fences.

And a snippety peek…

Eric entered the bar and quickly spotted his brother's group in the corner where the larger parties could have semi-privacy for their gatherings. Eames glanced up and waved Eric over.
Weaving through the regular seating area, Eric grinned and shook his head. Eames had a blow-up doll duct taped to the wall and with a bull's eye drawn over her belly button. Eric considered it short of miraculous she actually had clothes painted on. He reached his brother's side and clapped him on the shoulder.
Eames waggled his eyebrows. "Whatya think of my date?" He gestured towards the over-inflated rubber woman.
Eric snorted. "Bro, if I wasn't dating your ex-girlfriend, I'd question your taste in females."
Eames laughed. "You know, this one is a lot easier to control than Raelin. I think I got the better end of the deal." He glanced around. "Where is she?"
Eric frowned. "At home." He grabbed a cold one from the cooler on the table.
Eames cocked his head. "You could've brought her. The invite was you plus one."
Eric rolled his eyes. "You know how she is about guilt." He twisted the cap off and took a long swallow of the pale ale.
Eames nodded. "Uh huh, she doesn't deal well with it." He nudged Eric with an elbow. "As you and I both know."
Eric's lips quirked. "That we do." He shrugged. "I left the invitation open. If she wants to show up, she will."
Eames's lips turned up. "She just did." He jerked his head toward the entrance.
Eric turned and met Raelin's gaze. She lifted a hand and gave him a sheepish smile. Eames reached over, snagged another beer, and handed it to Eric. "Go on. Meet her halfway and remind her she's welcome here."
Eric uncapped the bottle. "Thanks, man." He headed towards Raelin, a slow grin spreading across his face.
She'd dressed casually but still turned heads when she made her way passed the patrons sitting at the bar. A sloppy drunk guy, about college age, did a double take and made a grab for Raelin's arm.
She paused and sweetly smiled. "I wouldn't go there, buddy." She gave his grasping fingers a pointed look.
He huffed out a breath. "Oh yeah? And why's that?"
She leaned in, keeping her tone low. "Because I bite." She raised her chin and met his gaze. "Hard." She snapped her teeth together.
He loosened his grip and raised the offending hand. "Okay, okay. Not touching you anymore."
Eric fought back a grin and reached her side, draping an arm around her shoulder.
The college guy narrowed his eyes. "Hey… why aren't you snapping your teeth at him?"
Raelin wrapped her arm around Eric's waist. "Because he likes it too much."
Laughter erupted on the other side of the man and Eric chuckled.
He drew her closer, pressing a kiss to her temple. "And that's why I love you so much." He leaned in to whisper. "Thanks for coming, Rae."
She shrugged but flashed a smile. "Figured it was time. Your brother's a great guy." She paused and faced Eric. "But he's not you."
Eric grinned. "His date for the night will be glad to hear it." He jerked his head toward the wall.
Raelin glanced over and her jaw dropped then her shoulders shook.
She grabbed Eric's hand. "Come on. I think you need to make the introductions."

Eames and Eric have been so much fun to write. I'm not quite getting this story in order (stupid sages), but the brothers definitely like to make their needs and wants known. J



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment