Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Elective Campaign

Happy New Year!!

I hope 2014 is filled with everyone my readers want and, of course, lots of reading!

I'm not a big fan of resolutions, but I do love setting goals. This year, my hope is to publish at least six manuscripts and learn more about the graphic end of the business. Luckily, my oldest kidlet is something of a whiz when it comes to creating great designs, so I have a built-in tutor.

I'm also feeling a strong pull to get back into crafting and being creative. My youngest is all for this and wants to help out. I'm looking forward to the bonding time we'll have.

And my middle child is my TV buddy. We watch a lot of the same shows and spend quality time chatting and dissecting the episodes. All in all, a good time.

The husband is an avid golfer and I'm hoping we'll get to spend some time on the course together. Even when I only go along for the ride, which is about half the time, it's a nice way to relax and catch up with each other.

On the television show front, Sherlock is back!! The convergence of acting, writing, and filming just makes me so happy. New episodes of my other favorite shows start soon. Banshee returns this Friday and I'm excited and on edge just thinking about it. I have no idea why that show sucks me in, but it completely does. J

Tonight's post is from Elective Campaign, a contemporary novella featuring something I don't write very often—a teenager as a secondary character. J So far, she's been fun to write and gives her former wild child mom a run for her money in acting like an adult.

Here's the tagline:

Mac is running for reelection and needs a logistical planner on his roster to win. Yancy has the training and background but she presents a problem… Mac is very attracted to her. They fight the pull but give in and once it's discovered, he might lose more than the election.

And a snippety peek…

Yancy flung herself on the couch and banged her head against the cushion.
"Mom, you're not going to solve anything by giving yourself a headache."
Yancy shot her daughter a sideways glance. "I already have a headache, Viv. It started about an hour after I applied for the job."
Vivian rolled her eyes. "You're such a drama queen." She got up and walked into the kitchen. "Isn't that supposed to be my territory? I'm the sixteen-year-old." Pulling the freezer door open, she grabbed some ice and filled a glass. "Let me guess. Mac asked you out for dinner again, right?"
Yancy heaved a sigh. "No, he wanted to see a movie this time."
Vivian made her way back to the couch and handed Yancy a glass of water. "Mom, I say this with the love of a daughter—you're an idiot." She plopped down on the sofa. "That guy's a keeper. I'm a teenager, but even I know he's good people."
Yancy snorted. "Are you sure you're not the mom in this relationship?"
Vivian had a gift for boiling shit down to the bone and getting to the marrow.
Yancy drained the glass, then held it to her forehead, letting the cool surface calm the pounding throb. "Viv, it's not about how good he is. There's already talk about us and we've gone out one time." She placed the glass on the table. "I want and need this job. He's up for reelection. Rumors can kill both."
Vivian reached out and grasped Yancy's hand. "Mom, if you'll excuse the language, that's bullshit." She squeezed Yancy's fingers. "You're thinking about the guy who donated his sperm to make me—"
Yancy interrupted. "You know I don't like it when you refer to your dad in those terms."
Vivian shrugged. "Too bad. That's how I think of him. And I'm old enough to have an opinion now, Mom."
Yancy wouldn't argue the point. Vivian had been old enough to have opinions from the age of four. And unafraid to voice those pearls of wisdom.

Vivian is turning out to be an awesome character. She's a good balance for her mom, Yancy. And Mac's lucky to have Viv in his corner. :D



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment