Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday Snippet: Laundry Night

May 25, 2014

So… Orphan Black keeps blowing my mind. Seriously, I would have NEVER dreamed I'd be interested in seeing Vic the Dick again, but playing opposite Allison is such an interesting little twist. Angie, or whatever her name is, kinda continues to irritate me, but I'm totally along for the ride to see what she's trying to pull off.

The whole deal with Helena creeps me out, but keeps me riveted to the screen, too. LOL Then there's Sarah… I have so much love for her. The cold war between Rachel and Sarah and how it's dragging Helena and Cosima into the middle of it keeps me glued to the screen.

And let's talk about Paul. Without revealing too much, I sooooo want to know more about him, but I love the loosely defined loyalties he has and the way he's pulled from all directions.

Enough about television… tonight's post is from Laundry Night, a short story where a practical joke goes slightly awry.

Here's the tagline:

Dixie Stores has a thing for her hot neighbor Neece Bovary, but he's heard all the rumors about her series of bad—and sometimes loud—breakups. Determined to win him over, Dixie breaks a cardinal rule and folds his laundry, mismatching the socks to get his attention, but gains the wrong kind when the innocent prank goes awry.

And a snippety peek…

Neece entered the laundry area and went to check his dryer. He found it empty and a quick glance to his right showed his clothes neatly folded and stacked on the sorting rack. He tilted his head sideways, wondering who would go to the trouble of removing his stuff when at least nine other dryers sat empty.
He picked up the basket he'd left and started stacking the clothes inside. "Maybe the new place has a laundry fairy no one told me about." He topped his jeans with several T-shirts, then followed those with two pairs of shorts.
When he reached into the side basket, he pulled up two pairs of mismatched socks, the ends tucked under to keep them together. "Son of a bitch." He grabbed the rest and sure enough, every single sock had an incorrect mate. "Who the flaming hell messes with other people's socks?" He started unraveling the huge pile. "Not only that, they rolled the ends down. I fucking hate that." He dumped the socks onto the sorting area and started making matches. "Stretches one sock out and makes it slide down my damn leg." Frustrated he threw the remaining footwear into his basket and started to exit the room. "Might be time for a stakeout to see who's lame enough to pull a stupid stunt like this."
A muffled chuckle followed by a garbled choking sound drew his attention.
He whirled around. "Who's there?" He dropped the basket on the counter and started back toward the vending area. "Come out now or I'll call the building manager."

Dixie bit off a little more than she could chew and it backfired. J



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment