Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sunday Snippet: The Deep End

September 20, 2015

Hmmm. As much as I love Doctor Who, I have to admit to being underwhelmed by the season premiere. I'm not a huge fan of Missy in any way, shape, or form. I love the concept of a female Master, but eh, not thrilled with the storylines she's been featured in. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

I have been enjoying the new season of Longmire. I like to move to Netflix and, so far, all the episodes have been pretty solid. I think I have two left before I'm done.

I wish I had more excited for the new fall season but nothing is really sparking my interest with the new slate of shows. I am looking forward to my faves returning so at least I'll have something to rave about each week. LOL

Tonight's post is from The Deep End, a novella where my heroine realizes she fell for the wrong brother.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Raelin is six months into a relationship with Eames, but isn't feeling the spark… until she meets Eric, Eames' brother. The sibling rivalry takes an ugly turn and Raelin takes a big step back so the men can mend fences.

And a snippety peek…

Raelin Hicks paused her workout when the screen door slammed in the kitchen.
Her boyfriend of six months came strolling into the living room, a huge grin on his face. "Raelin, guess what? We've got dinner plans." He flopped down on her couch and put his feet up on the tufted, oversized ottoman she used as a coffee table.
Raelin shook her head. "Bannerman, what have I told you about roping me into your plans. You gotta check first." She scrapped the exercise routine and grabbed a towel from the wingback chair. "What if I have plans?" The towel hid her face and muffled her words.
Eames dropped his feet to the floor. "Do you? Can you cancel?" He got up and crossed over to stand beside her.
His bummed out and serious tone had her meeting his gaze. He wore an anxious expression on his face.
She blinked then narrowed her eyes. "What's going on, Eames?" Her heart kicked a little harder against her ribs…
She hoped he didn't plan to push for moving in together. He'd asked about sharing space at the two month mark and Raelin put him off. She wanted to go slow, not be in a big rush, try a different approach and not jump into the deep end from the word go.
The exact opposite of her usual modus operandi.
He smiled again. "My brother's in town and invited us to dinner." He walked back to the couch and settled down on the cushions again. "You'll love him, Rae. He's a great guy."
Her shoulders tensed. "I'm not sure I’m ready to meet family, Eames." And he knew how she felt.
They'd talked about holding off on getting to know the relatives. Neither had parents or siblings in the city so she hadn't worried too much about the possibility. Stupid. She should have considered family coming to them.
He shrugged. "Look, Eric's in town for an interview with a private security firm. He's on leave from the navy and scoping out job opportunities." Rising, Eames started toward her door. "I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I'll tell him we can't make it."
God. Could she be a bigger bitch?
Raelin called out. "Don't. We can meet him." She draped the towel around her neck. "What time?" Hopefully she could grab a shower, at least.
Eames cracked a wide grin. "Seven. We can meet him at Rooster Rue's." He backed away from the door, walked to her side, and dropped a kiss on her lips. "Thanks, Rae. I'll pick you at six-thirty?"
She nodded. "Sounds good. I'll grab a shower and be ready." She leaned in and brushed her lips over his cheek. "See you in an hour."
Eames made a quick dash to the door. "I'll do the same. Be back." He ducked out.
Raelin heaved a sigh. One dinner with one family member didn't mean anything.
Right?                                             
She hoped Eames wouldn't think it did.
My love of all things sibling related shows through here. So much fun to write.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment