Sunday, December 27, 2015

Sunday Snippet: Forever Young

December 27, 2015

Well, it's my last snippet post of the year and I'm happy to note I didn't miss a week. That's a goal achievement I'm proud of.

Going into 2016, I have quite a few projects on tap for release and I'm very excited about those, too. I may roll a new weekly blog feature or try a newsletter this year. If anyone is interested, please don't hesitate to contact me to be added to the list.

Not much on the television front this week. I watched the finales for The Librarians and Agent X. According to my google fu, Agent X isn't renewed for another season, which is kind of disappointing. Since there are only ten episodes, I may try my hand at recapping the one and only season. We'll see what time allows.

On a side note, I did enjoy the Doctor Who Christmas special. It's my fondest hope I can get into the new season when it premieres, but I don't hold out much hope. The heart of the show is missing for me and unless the Doctor gets a truly marvelous companion, I doubt I'll be interested or able to keep with the all the cleverness Moffat tries to weave.

Oh, well. Looking forward to my favorite shows returning and having more to chat about each week.

Tonight's post is from Forever Young, a novella where my couple meets under crazy circumstances.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Gabe McTavish meets the woman of his dreams. Too bad she's his brother's date.

And a snippety peek…

The throbbing beat of the bass line almost blew Gabe back out into the parking lot. Zak would pick the place that played the loudest music in the city. Gabe stepped inside and let his eyes adjust to the neon-lit glow of the interior and scanned the bar for Zak. Spotted him by the dart boards, no sign of his latest and greatest anywhere.
Maybe she got wise and stood Zak up.
Gabe meandered through the crowd and reached Zak's table. His brother waved to the waitress and ordered two cold beers and a shot of whiskey.
Gabe dropped onto the stool opposite his brother, frowning. "Who's the whiskey for?" Whiskey, beer and Zak did not make a good mix.
"That would be for me." The owner of the voice slid onto the remaining seat. She stuck out her hand. "Tara Lowes."
Gabe prayed his shock didn't show. Tara Lowes didn't fit his brother's criteria at all. Dark hair, pulled back in a sleek ponytail, barely a trace of make-up on an extremely pretty face… not that she needed any for her classic features. High cheek bones, a straight nose and pointed chin. She also appeared about two cup sizes too small for Zak's usual pick of the month. Didn't stop Gabe from admiring the way she filled out the fitted t-shirt she wore. He shot his brother a look, but Zak only shrugged.
A new leaf, maybe?
Gabe took Tara's proffered hand and… oh, shit. Zing! Flash! A jolt of electric current shot straight through him. Fuck. Uh, uh. No way. Not the reaction he should have when meeting his sibling's newest love interest.
His gaze narrowed and sure as shit, Tara felt it, too. Her eyes went wide and a breath hitched in her throat. She muttered a quiet expletive. "Ah, damn."
Zak angled in close. "Tara? You okay?"
She blinked, but kept her gaze focused on Gabe. "Um, yeah." Her hand slid free and she shook her head. "Yeah. I'm fine." Her head turned toward Zak. "But I gotta be honest, Zak. We won't be going out after tonight." She looked back toward Gabe.
Zak cracked a resigned smile and leaned back against the wall. "I sorta had a feeling." He slid his gaze to Gabe then back to Tara. "You're way more his type than mine." He waved a waitress over and ordered a round of drinks.
Gabe's mouth dropped open. "You set me up?" He didn't quite like the idea.
Zak lifted his hands. "No way, bro. Tara's hot and I took a shot." He drained the dregs of beer in his mug. "The lady prefers you." Lifting a brow, he asked. "Tell me you don't feel the same?"
Gabe opened his mouth to deny it, but couldn't. He wanted to pursue the spark. Way too long since he'd felt anything instant like that. He wisely shut his yap.
Zak smirked. "I thought so." He tilted his head toward Tara. "Seriously, my brother's not a mute. You've rendered him speechless, is all."
Gabe shot Zak a glare then focused on Tara. "Rule number one. Never listen to Zak." He clapped his brother on the back. "The guy has no clue."
Zak rolled his eyes and paid for the fresh drinks.
Tara chuckled. "I'll try to remember that." She eased up onto the barstool. "So… anything else I should know?"

Honestly, I love this one because it flashes back and forth between past and present.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment