Sunday, January 17, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Ghost of a Chance

Ugh. Got hit hard with a nasty cold / flu something. It's been a miserable week trying to hit editing deadlines and maintain my sanity at the same time. LOL

This week's Teen Wolf brought back an old, well… I can't really call the character a favorite, so let's say a familiar face instead. I like having some old school peeps back on my screen. Nothing wrong with the new crew, but eh, I think a lot can be said for taking care of the roots, too. Hopefully, I'm not being too spoilery.

My shows are back this week. The Flash, Arrow, the premiere of Legends of Tomorrow, and maybe even Agent Carter. Not sure about the premiere date for X-Files, but I'll be checking to make sure I don't miss it.

And that's it for this week on the TV front.

Tonight's post is from Ghost of a Chance, a novella where loss is hard to overcome but love might win out in the end.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Valerie Queen and Jay Pennyworth meet through Chad Adsworth, Jay's best friend. When Chad is killed in a plane crash, Valerie reunites with Jay after five years. When the chance meeting leads to a long discussion, they end up spending the night together… but the specter of Chad hovering between them may be more than they can overcome.

And a snippety peek…

Valerie Queen stood beside Chad Adsworth's grave, eyes dry but stinging in the wind. She couldn't cry, not right now. She'd shed plenty of tears when she got the news.
Muffled footfalls came from her left, the sound stopping when a man stood beside her. Jay Pennyworth, in full dress uniform, removed his hat, tucking it under his arm.
He stood, his head bowed for a moment. "I tried to make it in time, but my transport flight got in late."
She nodded, understanding and remembering what military flights were like. Chad had been out before she'd met him, but her dad had gone career like Jay appeared to be doing.
A light rain started and Jay put his hat back on then took the umbrella from her hand, opening and holding the muted grey shield over her head. "How are you doing?" He moved in closer when the wind picked up again, blocking out some of the cutting cold.
Valerie slid her gaze toward him. "How do you think I’m doing?" Anyone else would have received the standard "fine" answer.
But with Jay, Valerie didn't have to hold up any pretense.
He huffed out a breath. "I'd say you're doing shit awful."
Valerie cracked a wobbly smile. "That's about right." She finally remembered her manners. "How long do you have?"
Jay frowned. "Forty-eight hours. The CO gave me as long as he could. We've got a mission going hot in seventy-two." His words were terse, but directed at fate, not her.
Valerie nodded, glanced sideways and met his gaze. "Have you eaten yet?" The thought of food turned her stomach, but again, manners.
Jay shook his head. "No. Came straight from the base."
She'd figured as much. "Place to stay?"
Jay head jerked back and forth again. "Haven't made any arrangements, yet."
Again, typical, for a military man on a last minute furlough. "Don't bother." She slid her gaze toward the casket, finally being lowered into the ground. "I've got an entire kitchen full of food I'll never be able to eat…" She met his gaze again. "And I wouldn't mind the company." She hated the idea of being alone in the home she'd shared with Chad.
Jay quirked an eyebrow. "Are you certain?"
She studied him for a moment, trying to stay numb, but having him here meant the world to her. And it would've meant everything to Chad. And Valerie couldn't quite face going home alone and dealing with the onslaught of memories waiting for her.
Looking past Jay's shoulder to focus on the heavy drizzle coming down, she nodded. "Yeah, I'm sure." She met his gaze. "Maybe I'll finally sleep. It's too quiet without Chad." She gazed at the shiny buttons on his jacket. "Haven't slept more than a couple of hours since I got the call." She probably looked like a member of the walking dead.
Jay reached out, grasping her arm. "In that case, I'd be happy to have a place to stay." He turned, making sure to keep the umbrella over her head.
She started forward, but paused to fish her keys out of her purse then held them out to him.
Jay frowned. "You drove yourself?"
She shrugged. "I needed to feel in control and, I don't know, riding in a limousine would give me too much time to think." Her eyes welled up. "But now… I'm too close to losing it." Blinking away the tears, she met his gaze again. "Would you mind driving?"
He took the keys and hauled her close, holding the umbrella at an awkward angle. "Not at all, Val. I'm so sorry."
Instead of making her cry, his words eased the ache in her heart.
She hugged him. "Thank you." Pulling herself together, she stepped back. "Let's go put a dent in the abundance of food stashed in my kitchen."

This scene came together almost exactly the way I pictured it in my head. When that happens, I do a mini chair dance of joy. LOL



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment