Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Going Native

Happy Valentine's Day and Singles Awareness Day to everyone! My husband and I don't do a big celebration, but we do try to make the day special in little ways. And it's been a truly rough week so we're appreciating the small moments of support.

What a terrific week for television! Monday is becoming one of my favorite nights with The Magicians and Lost Girl, and starting this week, Bitten. I watched the first episode and it rocked. So sad it's the final season of this show.

Tuesday is jammed up with The Flash and Agent Carter, both of which are terrific. Loved the journey to Earth 2 and seeing the counterparts. I'm very curious about who Zoom is, but I have a theory that probably won't shock anyone. LOL Agent Carter doesn't have long to finish up this storyline and I'm kind of excited to see where things go.

Wednesday is still my favorite and Arrow keeps dropping crazy twists into the storyline. I have so many potential theories of who's buried in the grave and who Oliver has to take out, it's not even funny. But I love it! Kudos to the showrunners for keeping me on my toes.

Legends of Tomorrow also makes me happy. I like how the group is coming together and starting to gel as a unit. And they're mixed up enough to keep things interesting. Almost every week a new grouping is featured and I'm totally down with that.

On Friday, I caught up with Teen Wolf and not a bad episode. Gotta say I'm rather thrilled the psycho doctor is no longer of this earth, meaning I won't be shocked if he makes another appearance somewhere down the road. I am going to be slightly disappointed if the beast turns out to be one of Theo's pack because there would have to be a huge bait and switch to make that plausible, in my opinion. I'm also caught up on Murdoch Mysteries, but still behind on X Company. *sigh* Seriously, the past week got completely crazy. LOL

And that's it for the random TV update. The Walking Dead premieres tonight and I'm hoping I fall right back into the show. J

Tonight's post is from Going Native, a novella that's kind of taking on a life of its own. The story started out as a sexy short, but has morphed into something more. A prompt about a workaholic meeting his match on an island is the inspiration behind the tale.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Workaholic Adam Beaubier is vacationing with his girlfriend. It's a last ditch effort to make their relationship work and it turns into an epic failure. Adam decides going native might be just the thing he needs and Zerrin Kord, a helicopter tour pilot, will make an excellent guide.

And a snippety peek…

"You never know, Zerri, my girl. This might be the day you meet your future husband."
Zerrin Kord rolled her eyes. Her dad and business partner in KordAir always said the same thing every time she left to pick up clients from the mainland, or fly deliveries to one of the smaller islands, or when she took a group up for one of the many tours they offered. Never let it be said Hank Kord didn't have a specific ritual to make his wishes known.
Zerri snorted. "I doubt that." She hefted her duffel bag over her shoulder and started for the hangar door.
Hank followed, hot on her heels, tossing off what he hoped would, no doubt, be a prophetic warning. "Just wait. You'll meet someone and know in an instant." Just like he had with her mom.
Zerri didn't blame her dad, but her track record spoke for itself. She'd broken up with every guy she'd ever gone out with after less than two months. Her dad wanted her to find someone and give them a chance.
Zerri turned, tired of the argument. "Dad, I'm not ready for wedded bliss just yet. Can you give it a rest?" Please, please give me a break.
Zerri knew exactly what she wanted and highly doubted she'd find it anytime soon.
Hank shrugged. "No one said you have to get married, but, geez, could you maybe let someone hang around long enough to get past the hot sex and have a first argument?" He folded his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow.
Zerri bit back a laugh. "You know way too much about my sex life, Dad." She really needed to make sure he stayed out of earshot when she talked to Marisol, their head mechanic, about the men Zerri dated.
Hank shook his head. "Maybe you should change your modus operandi up a little and surprise me. You've been working the same holding pattern for five years, Zerri."
Okay, he had her there. "Yeah, well, I don't like conflict."
He laughed, a loud guffaw. "Bullshit. You argue with me all the time."
Zerri smirked. "That's different. You're family. You're not gonna take off at the first sign of trouble." She waited a beat. "I want what you and mom had. And not one man I've met so far comes close to looking at me the way you looked at Mom."
Hank's face went soft and he nodded, stepping out of Zerri's way so she could leave. Invoking her mother's name never failed to turn her dad into mush. But he understood Zerri wouldn't settle for less than what her parents had, even if it meant she might spend her life alone.
Maybe she'd meet someone who got her on a molecular level, but she didn't plan to hold her breath waiting.

Gotta say, I'm having fun writing this one, even if the sages keep sending me conflicting story ideas. LOL Zerri and Adam have terrific chemistry.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment