Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Just Dessert

A random observation to start things off. A new office chair totally makes a huge difference when it comes to comfort for writing or editing. Just saying. I got a new chair on Friday and I can already feel the difference. Nice!!

Busy week on the television front. Gotham had a great episode. I hope it gets renewed because I'm interested in where the characters will end up next.

The Flash moved the story forward and I'm looking forward to seeing the finale. Arrow did a repeat, but this week should be new. Legends of Tomorrow had a great new episode. I'm liking what they're doing with the character interaction.

Agents of SHIELD took another bizarre twist and I like it. My one quibble would be the somewhat constant pulling the rug out will get old if it happens all the time. I do get a little tired of turning good guys into bad guys and that's saying something because I love all the shades of gray between black and white.

Wynonna Earp continues to make me happy. And I got partially caught up on Banshee. Gotta say the first episode kind of blew my mind in a terrific way. Not at all what I expected. I'm about halfway through season two of X Company and I’m still enjoying everything about the show.

I didn't say anything about Orphan Black last week because my brain was still processing the premiere. But, wow, what a terrific episode! And the follow up kicked butt, too. Lovely to see Paul, if only briefly. I have so much love for this show and how they raise the stakes each season.

And that's it for television.

Tonight's post is from Just Dessert, book three of the Black Unicorn Comics Adventure series. Lucy and Brian are back and celebrating their anniversary.

Here's the mini-blurb:

On Brian and Lucy's anniversary, they receive a gift from his gran that has the couple reliving their first night together.

And a snippety peek…

Brain flashed back to the night he fell under Lucy's spell. Best night of his life, even if it didn't start out that way. He'd gone to dinner with Chelle, supposedly to make up for something he'd done to irritate her—a common occurrence, which should have been his first clue they weren't meant to be.
As usual, Chelle prattled on and on about Reg and Ana and how she and Brian should do more with the couple. Brian thought their weekly brunch on Sundays a nice routine, but Chelle never thought they spent enough time together with his best friend and his wife. Ana's busy schedule didn't leave a lot of room for get-togethers. The woman ran several charities and organized gala events, which raked in lots of donations.
Chelle rolled her eyes. "I don't see why they can't pick up the tab when we meet on Sundays. Ana's got more money than she'll spend in this lifetime." She nibbled on her shrimp cocktail.
Brian frowned. "Why should she foot the bill? We're the one who invited them, at your insistence. It's fair to split the check." Not like he and Chelle didn't make enough to cover the cost of their own meals.
Chelle snorted. "I'm just saying once we made it a weekly event, she could have offered. She's always going on about how she gets in to the best places. Why not treat us to some of her legendary sway and score us comped meals?" She drained her wine glass and gave Brian a pointed look.
He sighed and refilled the goblet. "Look, Chelle, you never complain when Ana brings in all the leftover swag they have from her numerous events. And you're always the first in line to score the best stuff." Often to the detriment of the other Black Unicorn employees.
Chelle laughed. "As if anyone else at that place knows what to do with most of the freebies Chelle drops off." She twirled her fork in the air. "I mean, seriously? Lucy doesn't know the first thing about fashion, not when she constantly shows up for work in cutoffs and a tank top. Does she even know how to dress professionally?" She scooped up some of her pasta and paused halfway to her mouth. "And don't even get me started on Soch. The yummy stuff Ana brings in is lost on anyone with that many tattoos." The fork disappeared between Chelle's lips.
Brian welcomed the reprieve. He'd had about enough of Chelle's constant barrage of insults toward their coworkers. Watching her watch everyone else in the restaurant with a calculated gleam in her eye turned his stomach. He finally saw Chelle for the social climber she intended to be.
How the hell did I get tangled up with her?

How, indeed, Brian. Gotta say I love revisiting this couple and their crazy group of friends.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment