Sunday, July 3, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Mixed Signals

Ahhh, The Last Ship makes me so very happy. And none of my favorites ended up dead in the last episode so there's that, too. I won't hold out too much hope for a death free episode tonight. Best to be prepared, right?

Killjoys came back with a bang. Gotta say I'm super happy to see it back on my screen. Here's hoping the whole season is as terrific as the premiere.

Dark Matter… eh, I was a little disappointed in the opener. That said, there are some interesting developments, especially given the ending. I'll reserve judgment before deciding if season two is a bust.

The finale for Wynonna Earp rocked. Fingers are still crossed for a second season. Some great seed were planted for future threads and I hope Syfy gives this show a chance.

Babylon 5 rewatch continues. I'm almost through the first season and so many little things I missed on the other viewings are popping up. I love when that happens.

Strike Back is also entertaining me with the same things happening. I catch small things I missed when I watched the first time.

That's it for TV this week. Hope everyone enjoys the fireworks shows if they like that kind of thing. Me? I'm happy watching them on what else… television. J

Tonight's post is from Mixed Signals, a novella where a friendly fire shooting has my couple revisiting their relationship.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Avery and Trigg, both undercover cops, can't keep their relationship going. Their work makes it hard to stay connected. When mixed signals results in Avery shooting Trigg in a friendly fire incident, she wants to set the record straight and maybe test the waters to pick up where they left off.

And a snippety peek…

Trigg closed his eyes and growled. "Probably not." His lids popped open and he met her gaze. "That's another reason you and me… a very bad idea." One his brain fought tooth and nail.
But his heart had armor-coated protection—especially against Avery. The one woman that had the power to raise him to the heights of ecstasy and send him to the depths of depravity, usually at the same time. Trigg didn't have the energy or the mental capacity to go a round with her right now.
He reached out, grasping her hand. "Look, I'm loaded down with pain meds and can't think straight at the moment." He squeezed her fingers. "Can we revisit this topic after I get sprung?" His thumb brushed over her palm.
Avery dragged her lower lip between her teeth, but nodded. "Sure. But I'd like to keep you company, if you don't mind. It's gotta be boring as hell in here." She slid her gaze to the side, almost shyly.
Trigg blinked, not quite certain the morphine drip hadn't caused a hallucination. Avery didn't do timid. Bold. Brash. Utterly daring. Yes. All of those. The change in temperament threw him and he kind of wanted to explore the new side she revealed.
Later. When he didn't feel like complete shit. But he could use the company.
He shifted his position and gave her a smile. "Having you stick around will definitely bust the boredom." A yawn escaped before he could prevent it. "But I gotta warn you. I drop off in the middle of conversations." He'd be happy when that didn't happen anymore.
Avery laughed. "Duly noted. I won't hold it against you." She dragged the chair close to his bed and settled onto the cushion.
Trigg leaned back and pressed the button to turn up the volume on the television. "I'm not fond of most of the crap that's on, but there's a terrific sci-fi show that starts in ten minutes." He glanced sideways. "You game?"
Avery gave him a slow grin. "As if you have to ask. And if it's the one I'm thinking of, I love it." She kicked her feet up on the lower edge of his mattress.
Trigg turned his attention back to the television. They'd always had a love for the same type of entertainment—action movies, science fiction fare, or creepy thrillers. The fact she continued to enjoy the same things comforted him.
And he could use the small measure of rightness the idea brought.

I love the whole idea of a couple who breaks up but can't let go because they're meant to be together.




That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment