Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Monumental Headache

Well, The Last Ship didn't kill any of my favorites last week. On one hand, this makes me very happy. On the other, I'm now wondering when, who, and how much it will destroy me when they take out a crewmember. LOL

Killjoys continues to rock my world. I love the show so much. I also love seeing so many familiar faces from other genre shows. Same goes for Dark Matter. After a "meh" opening episode, this week's turned out to be so much better with the possibility of a few cast shake-ups. I'm a little iffy on where things are going but I'm in for the ride.

The rewatch of Babylon 5 is up to the start of season two. I'm also in season two of Strike Back. Summer is great for sinking into and revisiting old favorites.

Tonight's post is from Monumental Headache, a novella that started with the two word prompt of "Screw you."

Here's the mini-blurb:

Cadee Walsh has a high stress job and needs to blow off steam. She spends the night with Worth Pettigrew, recharging from the incredible sex. Imagine her mortification when she finds out he's her new boss.

And a snippety peek…

Worth hated to drop truth bombs, but bad news sucked no matter the delivery. "He saw me coming out of your house the morning after." Of course, Worth had no idea he'd be running into Cadee two hours later.
But Matt didn't care about the actual facts, only what he perceived as encroachment on his territory.
Cadee cocked her head to one side. "What do you mean, he saw you leave my house? Matt doesn't live anywhere near me." Her head straightened and her eyes went wide. "Oh, hell, no." She got up and paced back and forth.
The truth and scope of Matt's obsession settled over her, slowly, one tick of the secondhand at a time. Her face went through a range of emotion, realization, disappointment, fear, disgust, and finally anger. She sank back down onto one of the chairs, her gaze stony and determined when she raised it to meet Worth's.
She nodded toward a vacant seat. "I need to hear the rest." Her tone brooked no argument.
But Worth didn't trust their conversation wouldn't be overheard. He jerked his head toward the door and Cadee frowned but got up and followed him out into the hallway. She didn't pry or prod him for details, but stopped by her office to get her purse and jacket then met him outside in the parking lot.
Worth handed her a card with an address on the back. "Meet me here in ten." He popped the door open and slid behind the wheel of his vehicle.
He waited until Cadee pulled out into traffic before checking to see if they had an observer. Sure enough. Matt stood at the main doors with his arms folded over his chest. Worth backed out of his space, exited the lot, and merged into traffic. Watching his rearview mirror, he made sure no one tailed him.

I'm having some fun with this one. Cadee and Matt's unconventional first meeting adds a layer of conflict and it's interesting to write around.




That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment