Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Muse it Up

Another week of not losing any favorites on The Last Ship. Now I'm really concerned whoever is next will completely gut me. The Greens need to stay safe, at least long enough for a lovely family reunion. I actually fear something will happen to Mrs. Green because that's so not the obvious choice. I'll say this… if the president or Jacob the asshat reporter tries to harm her, I'll come after them. (In actuality, it'll probably be the blonde adviser—whose name I can't be bothered to remember—who does something awful to Kara, which, yeah, will add her to my list of 'deserves to die in a fire' candidates.)

Killjoys had a terrific episode this week. I'm excited to watch the next episode. Really interested in finding out more about Dutch's history, but I also want to see more about Johnny and D'Av, too. Sprinkling in small details about Pree, Pawter, and Alvis along the way is always welcome, too. I'm a little less into the whole nine thing, but I could become intrigued if they play that out a little over this season and really dive into it during the next season. (hint, hint).

Dark Matter jumped up on the interest chart again. I have a sneaky feeling there's been a switcheroo regarding One and I'm looking forward to finding out if my theory is correct. That said, I'm enjoying the dynamic with the remaining crew and the newcomers. We'll see if that continues. J

Babylon 5 and Strike Back rewatches are ongoing. I'm leaning toward a Banshee binge since I'll finish up Strike Back before B5 is complete. I'm also debating whether to start a few of the Netflix series I've wanted to dive into. Decisions, decisions.

Enough TV. Tonight's post is from Muse it Up, a novella prompted by the idea of a writer meets a new bartender at their favorite hangout.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Nate Shaunessey can't get in the groove to write his new supernatural series. When he meets the new bartender, Hunter Gant, at his local pub, a muse is born. The only problem? Nate's afraid to tell her she's his latest inspiration.

And a snippety peek…

Nate entered The Library, climbed up onto a stool, and slumped over the counter. Defeated by his lack of a muse, he wanted a shot of something strong to wash away the bitter aftertaste of no progress for the third day. He'd never had a novel give him flaming fits the way his current one wanted to.
A shot of tequila landed in front of him and he glanced up to find a new bartender behind the counter. A smokin' hot looker.
She smiled. "You look like a tequila kind of man." She wiped the surface beside him with a towel. "I'm two for three on guessing tonight. Did I peg you right?"
Nate grinned. "Consider yourself three for four. Tequila is never a bad choice." He downed the shot.
The woman lifted a brow. "No salt or lemon? Gotta say I'm impressed." She poured him another.  "The name's Hunter Gant. Nice to meet you."
Nate stuck out his hand. "Nate Shaunessey." She had a firm grip and gorgeous eyes. "You're new here, aren't you?"
She nodded. "Yep. Started last night." She propped her arms on the counter. "You look like you needed the double."
Nate's lips quirked. "Been a long and unproductive day." He lifted the glass. "A double is exactly what I needed."
Hunter cocked her head. "Author, agent, or editor?"
He blinked and she laughed.
"They don’t call this place The Library for nothing. I hadn't worked more than hour before I realized a very bookish group called this place their home away from home."
He chuckled. "You're good." And fascinating. "And it's author, although not much of one today."
Hunter sent him a quick grin. "Blocked or distracted?"
Nate sighed. "A little of both, to be honest. I've hit a wall and can't seem to scale it."
Another patron took a stool at the other end of the bar, drawing Hunter's attention. "Be right back." She leaned in. "I think this guy's a vodka man."
Nate's lips curved upward. What an interesting woman, and he didn't really know much about her. He loved her look, though. Shoulder length hair pulled back in a serviceable ponytail, leaving her flawless face on display. Moss green eyes that filled with humor or understanding and drew people in.
Ideas started rolling through his head and Nate fought an urge to leap off his seat and dash back to his house.
Not yet. Too many details warred for space in his mind and he'd have to let them settle before he could focus on building a story. But at least he had concrete picture and images floating around.
Because of Hunter Gant.
Nate had found his new muse and he barely knew anything about her.

I'm enjoying how the pieces are coming together for this story. Can't wait to finish up and get it out there.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment