Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunday Snippet: A Nice Gesture

The Last Ship might be the death of me. Last week's episode had my heart pounding. I forgot to breathe during the escape from the minefield, which happened toward the end of the episode. Then, I live tweeted that I'd be drinking like five shots of alcohol for fortitude because there was still time for something else crazy to happen—with only three minutes left in the show! And, of course, something else CRAZY did happen. LOL What a way to end.

Killjoys is seriously becoming one of my very favorite shows. I'm completely sucked into what's going on and in love with the subtle nuances and shifts in relationships. I have a sneaky suspicion there's going to be a big payoff for some of the dynamics being set into motion. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Dark Matter has a terrific cadre of women characters. I'm interested in the newest addition to the crew and hope she sticks around for a while. Not to take away anything from the men. They hold their own, too. Nice to see a familiar face acting alongside the android in this episode. Okay, maybe not alongside, but in the same vicinity. LOL

Still no Strike Back this week due to a crazy schedule again. But… with the sad news of Jerry Doyle's passing, I'm very happy to be in the middle of a Babylon 5 rewatch. Almost finished with season two and looking forward to starting the third.

Tonight's post is from A Nice Gesture, a sexy short that started with a two-word prompt. I'm hoping to release several closely themed shorts together in an anthology in the near future.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Marah Timm and Teague McCallister work at Humpberry Farms for their summer break. Marah is prickly and standoffish, but Teague recognizes the lonely soul in need of a nice gesture.

And a snippety peek…

Teague appreciated the invitation, but didn't expect the offer. He'd made more than enough for two and even had small cake tucked in the refrigerator. Now he'd be able to see Marah's face when she discovered the surprise.
He nodded toward the food. "If you'll allow me? I'd be happy to serve up the meal." Picking up a large spoon, he held it over the baked ziti until she lifted her chin in agreement. "You could get started on the salad. Love to know what you think of the dressing." Tucking into the pasta, he carefully transferred a heaping helping onto her plate.
Marah stabbed up a forkful of salad and slid the leafy greens between her lips then chewed slowly. Her eyes went wide and she groaned low in her throat.
After swallowing, she met his gaze. "Oh, my god. Did you make the dressing?" Her tongue swiped over her lips.
Teague gave a quick nod. "Yeah. Didn't have what I usually use so I threw some ingredients together." He held a breath, hoping she gave it a good rating.
Marah shoveled another forkful into her mouth. "It's orgasmic." She chewed and swallowed again.
Teague grinned and scooped out a helping of the ziti onto his plate. "A higher compliment doesn't exist." He added the steamed green beans to each setting and sliced the warmed bread into pieces.
Marah tilted her head to one side. "Not in my book." She straightened. "Again, thank you for this." She gave him a shy glance.
Teague lifted a shoulder. "I love to cook, and like I said…" He trailed off, unwilling to put a damper on her birthday celebration.
Marah finished for him. "Everyone deserves something special on their birthday." She reached across the table, placing her hand over his. "It's nice. And very rare for me."
Teague wanted to take the opening, ask questions, but he smiled instead. "Glad you like it." He poured wine into their glasses.
Marah finished her salad and started on the main dish. Teague quickly caught up and while they didn't talk much, the silence didn't seem awkward. Just two people enjoying a nice dinner together.
Teague used his bread to clean up the extra sauce on his plate at the same moment Marah started the same.
Marah chuckled. "Can't let any go to waste." She popped the last bite into her mouth.
Teague grinned. "Clean plate, happy stomach." He stacked his dishes and started to rise.
Marah waved him off. "I'll get the dishes." She let out a satisfied sigh. "When I can move again."
Teague laughed and stood up. "Hold that thought. Be right back." He ducked into the kitchen area and opened the fridge.
He didn't have an actual birthday candle, but there was a box of sparklers on the counter and he stuck one in the center of the cake and lit the end. Picking the desert up, he carefully walked into the dining nook.
Marah took one look at the surprise and her eyes filled with tears.
Teague stopped. "Uh, I'm sorry. You don't like cake?"
She shook her head. "No, it's not that. I love cake." Her voice wobbled. "It's been over five years since anyone's done anything for my birthday." She blinked the tears away. "And you don't even like me."
Teague put the cake on the table and drew her into his arms. "I don't know you, Marah. I'd like that to change."
She buried her face in his shoulder and let out a sob.

Kind of love how this one is coming together. My themed anthology might be something like nice guys finish first. I have a big soft spot for the nice guys out there. J



That's if for this week. Happy reading.

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment