Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Snippet: Once in a Lifetime

The Last Ship continues to blow my mind. I love the words that come from Chandler's mouth. Is the man perfect? Hell, no. But I'd totally back whatever play he wanted to make, even if it blew up in our faces. Can't wait to see what Blond Ambition tries to pull this week. And I have to say, the whole building of a wall thing, making the regional borders permanent, haunts me a little. I'm very interested in how that whole thing plays out. And hey… I get to see a familiar face on this week's episode!! YAY!!

Killjoys stayed dark and twisty and I won't complain. I'm saddened by the loss of a character who became a favorite. I'm also really interested in finding out what the hell is up with the faux scarbacks Evil Delle has working with her. Because that's a snag I want to see play out.

Dark Matter dialed the tension back a little and I'm okay with it. I continue to be amused by the little callbacks to the Stargate 'verse—this week it was a personal shield—and hope the inside references don't get to be too much. We'll see how that goes.

No Strike Back this week, but I did finish up season two of Babylon 5. I'm taking a small break to start on some 80s movies with my daughter and I've also got season one of Killjoys on tap. I'm revisiting the first episodes to see if there are some seeds planted that I missed. :)

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Once in a Lifetime, a novella that started with the prompt of one character hearing the other calling their name in the throes of passion. I loved the challenge of coming up with something for that crazy idea.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Evan McCoy overhears Sasha Knepf shout his name when she's in the throes of passion with another man. He confronts her the next day in the hotel suite and demands an explanation, which she's not inclined to provide since he ditched her after their second dance at the annual ball.

And a snippety peek…

Sasha Knepf tugged her shirt over her head and looked up to find Evan McCoy staring in her direction.
She blinked. "What?" Fighting the urge to finger-comb her hair, she met his gaze.
Evan waved a piece of paper back and forth. "You get the security assignment? For the big deal shindig at the Hampshire?" He yanked his locker open and pulled out a shower kit.
Sasha bit back a groan. She'd give anything to be a fly on the wall when he showered. The man had a gorgeous physique.
Evan snapped his fingers. "Sash? Are you on the detail for the formal thing?" He cocked his head to one side.
Sasha shook her head. "Yeah, and I got the note it's civvie attire instead of full dress uniform." Her lips curved. "Which is terrific because it's too damned hot to wear long sleeves and wool in the middle of the summer."
Plus she wouldn't have to drag the heavy garment to the dry cleaner.
Evan closed his locker door and leaned toward hers, catching a whiff of the inside. "Probably a good thing." His nose wrinkled.
Sasha's face flamed. If nothing else, she needed to get rid of the socks piling up in the bottom of her bin. And maybe do a couple loads of laundry.
She quirked a brow. "Are you calling my personal hygiene into question?" Based on the smell of her locker she couldn't blame him.
Evan snorted. "You have hygiene? I seriously can't tell." One side of his mouth turned up in a smirk.
With a wink, he strolled into the shower area and pulled the curtain around the stall.
Sasha gave him a long hard look. "We'll see about that, Evan. Just you wait."

Having a truly wonderful time meandering through the writing on this one. Sasha and Evan are a joy to write.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment