Sunday, June 18, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Voices Carry

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. My dad is off on a grand adventure with my middle kid. They're in Alaska, which, oddly enough, is where my dad spent last Father's Day. From the pictures I've seen, they're having a great time.

It's been a crazy week. I need to rewatch Dark Matter. I had too many distractions going on and I feel like I missed important stuff. Wynonna Earp delivered another great episode. I like some of the twists and turns. I don't like losing Dawls and I'm a little iffy on the new evil overlord chick but I'll give this series a lot of leeway to provide a terrific viewing experience. I'm going to have a hard time wrapping my brain around Kevin Hanchard playing a possible bad guy when he's one of my favorite good guys on Orphan Black.

Speaking of Orphan Black, I have to catch up. We had busy Saturday and I missed the second episode. Thank whatever rules the universe for On Demand. LOL

I have the new ITV drama Fearless ready to go, but haven't had an opportunity to watch yet. I'm looking forward to seeing Jamie Bamber on television again.

I'm almost finished with my binge watch of City Homicide. I'll be seeking my next Australian drama in the very near future. Possibly a binge watch of Sea Patrol, another of my favorites.

Started a premiere viewing of Young Justice on Netflix. Four episodes in and I'm excited about the possibilities.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Voices Carry, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of "a cop and a waitress". This one screamed for some suspense and mystery.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Summer Blaine is a struggling artist who always listens to Detective Fitch Falconer's tales of triumphs and woes when he drops by the diner she works in to make ends meet. When she gets a chance to display her art, she invites Fitch to the gallery to see her true passion. Unfortunately, a ghost from her past tries to get in the way and it's up to Fitch to find out who wants her dead.

And a snippety peek…

Summer Blain kept one eye on the window when she served an elderly couple their dinner entrĂ©es. Spying Detective Falconer heading toward the entrance, she finished up with the Dammers then nodded toward the counter when Fitch walked into the restaurant. He gave her a wide smile—the kind that made her heart flip—then ambled to the empty spot two spaces down from the register.
Summer had quite the thing for the handsome detective and looked forward to seeing him pretty much every day. The closest thing she had to a relationship since, well, since she became very cautious about who she spent time with.
Moving behind the counter, she greeted Fitch. "Hello, Detective." Grabbing a glass and poured him some water and added a slice of lemon. "Which usual will it be today?  Meatloaf or baked ziti?"
Fitch put a hand over his heart. "Better make it meatloaf tonight." He took a long swallow of his beverage.
Summer waved to the short order cook, Stan, and held up two fingers, their version of shorthand for Fitch's preferences. "How was your day? Catch all the bad guys?" She loved hearing his tales of bringing in criminals.
Fitch shook his head. "Not today. But we're close to closing a case." He drained his glass.
Summer refilled and settled a hip on the counter. "The one?" She didn't get into details; he'd been pouring his frustration out for two weeks.
Fitch nodded. "Yeah. That's it." His fingers worked over the glass and his gaze focused on the lemon inside. "Graydon swears we'll catch a break, and he's right; we usually do when he gets that feeling." He lifted his chin, staring straight ahead. "But I fall asleep with the faces of those victims swimming in my brain. And the families they left behind." He lifted the glass and took another long swallow.
Stan dinged the pickup bell. "Order up, Summer." His head bobbed in greeting to Fitch.
Summer eased the plate in front of Fitch and changed the subject. "Speaking of Graydon… I'm very glad you introduced me to Laura. She's been a whirlwind and just the shot I needed to finish up the last piece." She leaned on the bar again, waving to the Dammers when they got up to leave.
Fitch cut into his meatloaf. "How's the latest project coming along?" Scooping up some potatoes, he shoveled the food into his mouth.
Summer smiled. "It's finished and it inspired a name for the whole show... Voices Carry." When the title came to her, she got a burst of creative energy and completed the abstract painting.
Fitch stopped chewing and swallowed. "I love it." He scooped up another forkful of his meal.
Summer grinned. "Good. Because you helped me come up with it."
Confusion marred his handsome features. "Really?"
She chuckled. "Well, yes. Remember telling me about that witness last week?" She waved to a regular customer and grabbed his takeout order from the pass through. "The one who heard the two men talking?" She rang the cabbie up and swiped his card.
Fitch lifted his chin. "Yeah, the Polo-Martin case."
Summer returned the spot in front of Fitch. "I got to thinking… she'd heard that conversation through the ductwork—plain as day—because their voices were amplified. My work is visual but it should speak to the viewer and cause a reaction."
Fitch flashed a smile. "Amplification of emotion."
Summer smiled wide. He got it. He always did when she talked about her work.
She refilled his glass. "That's it. Exactly." Carrying the pitcher out to the eating area, she waited on a young couple talking about the movie they were going to see.
Fitch finished up his dinner and switched to decaf coffee, a sure signal he planned to stay until her shift ended. He almost always did. Summer appreciated having the handsome detective for company—Stan's idea of witty conversation usually started with hello and ended with goodbye, but she dearly loved him.
Three hours later, the replacement cook and waitress arrived and Summer left through the back entrance with Stan. She walked to the sidewalk and stopped beside Fitch. The street light cast his face in shadows and her fingers itched to pick up a paintbrush and capture the visage.
He shoved away from the lamppost. "Walk you home?"
He asked every night and she usually refused because… well, she didn't do the taking men home thing. At least she hadn't for a long time.
But she'd built up a solid thread of trust with Fitch and wanted to explore whether they could find something deeper. A huge risk, considering her previous experience, but Summer needed to let someone into her life… and maybe her heart.
She tilted her head to one side. "Yes."
His widened eyes showed his surprise, but he fell into step beside her.

Summer's thread of trust is going to get a hard yank, but not by Fitch. He's the kind of guy who always has her back… even if she might not need him to.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment