Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday Snippet: X Out the Date

Ugh, the rain continues and it's making the outdoors feel like a sauna. I'm not against saunas but, ugh, I'd rather not have one 24 / 7. Besides… you can't run around outside with only a towel on. Okay, I guess it's not impossible, but I won't be doing it anytime soon. LOL

I had a friend recommend Will for my viewing pleasure. I haven't started it yet, but I'll give it a go. She's in love with everything about the show.

Have to play catch up again on my Syfy Friday night shows. I hate being behind and it sucks that on Demand and the Syfy app won't show the latest episode immediately. I have a lot of growly, snarly words about that topic.

Great news! Wynonna Earp is renewed for season three. I'm soooo happy we'll have more demon-killing gun action in the town of Purgatory. Woo!

Lots of terrific trailer action coming from SDCC. I'm looking forward to The Defenders if only for the awesome snark potential.

The Last Ship's new trailer is making me very impatient for the season to start already. Less than a month away, but still feels way too long.

Also… the final episodes of Teen Wolf start next week and I'm excited to see how the series ends.

One final note… I'm actually excited for Doctor Who again! Nothing against Moffat, he's written a few of my very favorite episodes but, ugh, he almost ruined the series for me. The entire last season just rubbed me wrong. I wish him nothing but the best with whatever he's involved in from here on out.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from X Out the Date, a novella that got a start with the two-word prompt, "Don't stop".

Here's the mini-blurb:

Preston Ayl and Elliot Newman are on the verge of making a strong commitment. Attending conferences on opposite ends of the country, the week away from each other is proving more difficult than either expects and they're crossing out the date until they're back together.

And a snippety peek…

Elliot took his seat on the plane after stowing his carryon in the overhead bin. He settled in and leaned back, thinking to grab some extra sleep on the somewhat short flight. A smack on his shoulder had his eyes popping open.
Alex Ayl, Preston's cousin, wore a sly smirk. "Dude. Don't tell me you're going to Maine, too." He dropped down next to Elliot. "Man, that's awesome. I'll have someone to hang with."
Elliot grinned. "Are you hawking more sporting goods?" Alex had several endorsement contracts, including clothing and equipment.
Alex shook his head. "Not this time. I'm headed to a small start-up company that wants some input on a new design. If I like what I see, I have a chance to invest, too." He kicked back in his seat. "Sometimes it's good to be me." His head lolled sideways and he shot Elliot a glance. "You leave your better half behind?"
Elliot laughed. "No, actually. She's headed to the west coast for a weeklong conference." He frowned. "I wouldn't have minded going with her. Helluva lot warmer in California than Maine." Plus, they could take advantage of the beaches, which they currently couldn't do in midwinter.
Alex snorted. "Man, I'd be out of a job if we didn't have these glorious cold winters." He rubbed his hands together.
A fine point. Alex lived for any activity done in the cold. Boarding, skiing, sledding, skating. If it could be accomplished in frigid temperatures with powder or ice, Alex showed up.
Elliot's lips twisted in a smile. "I doubt you'd be out of work for long. Something tells me you'd make the transition from Mr. Freeze to Heatmeister in quick order."
Alex quirked a brow. "You mean like surfing and shit? No way, man. That's your gig. The only cold weather thing you do is play hockey." He gave Elliot a pointed look. "And that's only when my cousin lets you come out to play."
Elliot smashed Alex's theory. "Man, it's not like she's got me shackled to the bed." He sat back and waited for the response.
Alex made a gagging sound. "Aw, dude, not a visual I needed right now."
Elliot crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his head back again. "Then shut up and let me get a nap in."

I'm hoping it's going to be fun to write the absence makes the heart grow fonder scenario. So far, it's pretty great.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment