Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sunday Snippet: Zanzibar Blues

I'm so excited for The Last Ship season premiere tonight! I can't wait to see where my favorite sailors are and what they're doing.

I'm an episode behind on Teen Wolf, but should be caught up later tonight or tomorrow.

Got another episode or two in of Dark Matter and Killjoys. Still need to catch up on Wynonna Earp. I'm truly loving Killjoys this season. I'm totally wondering if any additional traitors will be revealed. New nerd is on my super watch list. Just saying.

Hoping to start The Defenders this week. So far, I'm reading positive reviews… not that I wouldn't watch if they all tanked the show. I like too many of the characters to not see what they're up to.

I might have to break down and watch Midnight Texas, but it'll be on Demand. I have such a negative hate on for NBC as a network… which truly sucks because they own one of my favorite channels. <sigh>

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Zanzibar Blues, a novella that got a writing community prompt to write a story with a bar setting making the female main a  singer. I really liked that prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Higg Astley is brought in for a clean-up job, maintaining order over a raucous and rowdy crowd, in a roadside tavern, his first goal is to keep the house singer, Liberty Vans, from partaking in the nightly brawl. No easy feat when Liberty is the surrogate daughter of the man who owns the bar.

And a snippety peek…

Marko Rivera observed the wild mess of his roadside bar. Once again, he'd spend the night cleaning up the broken chairs, shattered glass, and God only knew what the liquid spilled all over the place would turn out to be.
Heaving a sigh, he grabbed a broom. "I need to invest in hazardous material gear." He started a long sweep in front of the curved bar.
A bucket landed beside him, the mop swinging dangerously close to his head.
The lead singer of his house band, Liberty Vans, grabbed the handle, angling it toward her. "You know, you might want to consider keeping a skid of barstools in reserve, too." Her lips twitched before she soaked the floor with warm, soapy water.
Marko's heart kicked. She reminded him so much of her dad… the best friend Marko ever had, a brother in arms. When she showed up on Marko's doorstep two years ago, he'd welcomed her with open arms. He'd never had kids, watching Liberty grow up pretty much gave him bragging rights as her surrogate dad.
Her head lifted. "You gonna stand there all night or finish sweeping?"
He started pushing the broom again. "You know, Lib, I will make this better." A promise he'd been making for over a year now. "I've got some new muscle coming in tomorrow, er, well, later today now." In about six hours, which meant he'd only get a quick catnap before he opened again.
Liberty continued scrubbing the floor. "How's that gonna work?" She didn't look up, her motions quick and efficient, following the cleared path he made with the broom.
Marko paused, grabbing her shoulder. "Well, they'll offer some additional protection, help keep a barrier between the stage and the troublemakers."
Liberty shook her head. "Marko, that's not going to help much."
He nodded. "I know. But it'll buy me some time. I know Henry Caver is behind the constant problems. He's the one who hired Stanic Klemper—your ex—to start all the brawls and fights."
Liberty slapped the mop on the floor again. "Dammit, Marko. Stanic is not my ex."

I'm having so much fun plotting this one out. I love all the conflict the characters face.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment