Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Fuel for the Fire

Ugh. It's been decades since I've had snow in April and we got two days of it last week. LOL

Anyway, television this week had a great run. Legends of Tomorrow continues to make me happy. Actually titling an episode about a guest star is brilliant. Seriously.

I missed Black Lightning's new episode but plan to catch up with everything with a binge watch in the near future. Also need to get caught up on Riverdale, but I have watched two of my saved episodes. Gotta say I'm so interested in Alice's past and who Chic's dad is. Considering she drove me insane last season, I like this newfound curiosity. Also loving the whole Blossom family drama. Seriously, Riverdale is hitting on all cylinders with me right now.

Arrow's episode ended up being better than I hoped. It's probably not a bad thing to have Oliver's leadership tested and questioned. It's not often I get to see a character actually have to progress through a moment of growth. That said, I hover on the fence with Laurel. I know what I'd like to see happen but I won't hold my breath.

Got another episode of Gotham in and rather liked having Bruce call Alfred. With so much going on, I'm always surprised how well all the plot threads mesh together.

On the other hand, Jessica Jones feels so disjointed sometimes. Not saying it's a bad thing… the overall theme of season two sort of begs for the disconnect. All in all, I'm happy with how things are playing out, with maybe the exception of Trish. My hope is season three will serve as a redemption platform for the character. If not, well… yeah.

Watched an episode of the current season of Chicago Fire and Chicago PD. I'm working my way through to catching up on these. Also watched more of Blindspot. I'm up to the point of new episodes and literally cheered out loud when Jonah Fisher got his comeuppance. I loathed his character. I also wonder if anyone else kept hoping Kurt Weller would go Damien Scott on Fisher's ass? No? Just me? Okay. I can live with that. LOL

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Fuel for the Fire, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of writing a story set around an arson.

Here's the mini-blurb:

An arsonist wants arson investigator Sadie Kyle's attention and burns the home and business Greg DeSoto to get it. When Sadie shows up to investigate, she hits it off with Greg, which only adds fuel to the fire for her pyromaniac. When Greg gets hit a second time, Sadie digs in and calls the burner out.

And a snippety peek…

Greg Desoto struggled to breathe. He coughed, trying to drag in air. Rolling to his side, orange flickered behind his closed eyelids.
Orange? What the—
An acrid smell hit his nose and he shot up out of bed. "Fuck!" The door and part of the wall in his room were ablaze. "Shit. Fire. Gotta move." He dragged a pair of jeans on, threw a shirt over his head, and grabbed his phone.
He scrambled to find his shoes. Twenty-degree weather trumped the burning flames. Jamming his feet in the first pair he found, he dropped low and pulled the quilt from his bed. He crawled to the window, the floor warm under his hands. The lower level had to be burning too.
Putting the blanket over his head, he forced the window open and glanced outside. "Hope the damned fire escape holds." Didn't matter, he had to get out of the building.
Climbing out, he managed to get the metal steps lowered and called 911 on the way down. When he reached the pavement of the side street, he caught his first look at the fully involved blaze currently ravaging his business and his home.
Shivering in the light snow, he stared, watching it all burn. "Son of a bitch."
The wail of sirens sounded but Greg shook his head. Nothing would save the building. The quick response might keep others from succumbing to the inferno, but that would be the best he could hope for.
Numb, Greg barely heard the firefighters telling him to get back, asking him if anyone else needed to get out.
He shook his head. "No, no. I was the only one in the building." Stepping back, he got out of their way.
They dragged hoses out and entered the building, working to douse the flames.
One big thought struck Greg in the middle of his head. "Why the hell didn't the sprinklers kick on?"

I'm hoping the sages cooperate a little more on this one. I have all the broad strokes planned out but the small beats are still forming.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment