Sunday, July 15, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Hot Water

Whew. Crazy-busy week. I spent much of the past seven days brainstorming a new business idea with one of my closest friends. We're close to making a decision about moving forward or not. I'll keep everyone posted.

Not a bad week for television. Got in more Batman: The Brave and the Bold. Decent episodes but I'm always thrown by Batman not being Kevin Conroy. Ah, well. That's how it goes.

Got a couple episodes of Constantine in. I'll have one more to watch to finish up the season. Also caught the first episode of Lexx. I remember the original run but didn't get to watch everything from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing the entire story.

Watched another episode of The Coroner. It fits in well with my other mystery shows. Got two episodes of Midsomer Murders and Endeavor in. I'm caught up as far as I can be with Endeavor. Have to wait for season five to become available for binge-watching.

Watched a Hallmark movie, The Art of Us. I had the pleasure of editing the wonderful book from Tule Publishing. The movie turned out really well.

Caught my military shows with one episode each. Band of Brothers and Strike Back. Also followed up with an episode of Chicago Fire.

Sense 8 had another terrific episode. I'm always blown away with the seamlessness of the cluster interactions. I can't wait to watch more of this show. Started The Dresden Files with the first episode. I enjoyed this show when it originally aired. I'm up to episode seven of Canal Road and the twisty turns keep on coming. I'm very invested in seeing how the show plays out with regards to Spencer's wife's death.

I started a classic series in black and white called Medic. There are only twelve episodes available on the app, but I'll see how the second one is before deciding to continue or not.

Finally started the second season of The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I so wish there had been more of this show. Things really jelled in season two.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Hot Water, a novella that started with a prompt and took a wild-hair turn into something completely different.

Here's the mini-blurb:

When Demi Strange and Nathan Jordan work together at a summer camp, things get heated. The campers use up the water ration, leaving Demi to borrow Nathan's shower and it lands her in more than hot water.

And a snippety peek…

Nate shook off the odd feeling of being brushed aside. Had he offended Demi?
He got up. "Nah. I've offered everyone a chance to use the cabin." Gathering up his paperwork, he filed it in the cabinet and went to meet the kitchen staff to discuss how they could help with the water situation.
He found Carol filling a huge stock pot with water.
She held up a hand. "Don't even bother. I'm filling the pots with cold water and I'll keep them on the stove on a low boil." She lifted the heavy pot with ease and carried it to the range. "Not like I haven't done this before." Her lips spread in a wide smile. "Glad Butch and Linda converted the stove to electric five years ago."
His first summer at the camp. "Such a big deal at the time." But a good decision.
Carol turned the burner on. "You were just a babe way back then." She laughed, obviously enjoying being able to rib him.
Nate shrugged. "Right out of high school with my first job away from home." Man, had he been green.
Carol flashed a smile. "And you loved every moment of being here." She started filling another pot.
Nate nodded. "I did. Still do." Except… he'd be graduating with his master's degree after the fall semester.
Which begged the question… what to do next?
Carol voiced the exact thought. "What're your plans? I'm assuming you won't be here next year." She handed him the pot when he held out a hand and started filling another one.
Nathan put the water on the stove and turned the burner on. "I'm interviewing for a few spots over the summer, the jobs contingent on graduation." He needed something full-time, otherwise, he'd love to return to the camp.
How much longer did Demi have for her degree?
Why the hell did he care?
Because she intrigued him. Her seeming lack of interest piqued his curiosity. In a very good way.
He still had the question in his mind when the counselors and campers gathered around the fire for spooky stories and gooey s'mores. A tailor-made opportunity presented itself when Mitzi got up to get more marshmallows, leaving the space beside Demi open. Nate took the spot, determined to find out more about the beautiful woman.
She quirked an eyebrow when he settled beside her. "Nate." She didn't say more and went back to watching the flames flicker and dance.
He nudged her with his shoulder. "How did the girls take the news?" Might as well open with a common thread.
Demi snorted. "As well as any preteen that loves to primp and pamper themselves would." She laughed. "So not completely well."
He chuckled. "Bart said the guys grumbled and complained, but decided to make a competition out of who gets done the fastest and still manages to get clean."
Demi wrinkled her nose. "And who determines the level of cleanliness?"
Nate shook his head. "I have no idea, but no doubt Bart will get stuck with the task." Nate definitely would not.
Demi only smiled and turned her attention back to the fire. Nathan frowned. What did he have to do to hold her attention?
He asked the question on his mind all day. "So, how much longer do you have to finish your degree?" Crappy transition, but maybe school would open her up.
Demi glanced in his direction, narrowing her gaze a little. "I'm starting my final year this fall. Why?" Her gaze clouded a little like she couldn't believe he'd want to know.
The idea didn't sit well with him. He never treated his counselors like they didn't matter. But she had wariness almost oozing from her pores. Because of him? The notion bothered him. A lot.
He folded his hands in his lap to avoid the urge to get closer to her. "Mainly curious. Your major is…" Aw, hell, why couldn't he remember? "Something with communications?" Geez, I'm an idiot.
Demi rolled her eyes. "Nate, really, you don't have to pretend to be interested. I'm an English major with a minor in communications." She turned her attention back to the fire.
Dammit. He actually wanted to know. And he'd remembered the communications part.
He tried again. "I'm not pretending. Why would you think I am?" He had a guess and could kick himself for it.
She sighed. "Look, I know how this usually goes. You pick someone or someones and lavish your attention on them, inviting them to your cabin for a hot fling that ends by the time our final paycheck clears for the season." Angling toward him a little, she met his gaze. "Let me be blunt. You're extremely attractive, but your role as the director—with your own private cabin—doesn't really interest me. Your previous liaisons kind of speak for themselves as to how this summer would play out." She got up and smoothed her shorts down. "I guess I should thank you for considering me but I'd rather not be in contention for the annual summer bed-partner spot." Turning away, she clapped her hands. "Girls, let's start getting things cleaned up."
Nate blew out a harsh breath. "Geez, she pretty much called it straight down the middle." Except he'd already decided to avoid the whole revolving bed status quo this year. "Figures I find someone that genuinely interests me and I screw up my chances before I even get out of the gate."
Which served him right. The irony kind of smacked him in the face and he laughed. Shot down in flames with scorched-earth precision, he had his work cut out for him.
And he planned to prove Demi wrong; show her his past didn't define his future.
Starting first thing tomorrow.

Heh. Nate got hoisted by his own petard. I love having him at a disadvantage.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment