Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sunday Snippet: How to Tell Off the Boss

I'm coming off another busy week. My youngest is finally doing her driver's training classwork and driving with the instructor. She also had her first week of summer band camp so the back and forth driving to and from kept me busy.

Not a bad week of television viewing. The return of Wynonna Earp and Killjoys topped the terrific stuff. I'm so excited to have both shows back on my screen.

Other than those, I got another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold in along with the second episode of Lexx. The latter is such a trippy kind of show. I'd forgotten how off the wall it could be.

I caught a Garage Sale Mysteries episode, "A Case for Murder". Not a bad little movie series. Enjoyed my first experience with the Hallmark show.

Also caught my military shows, Band of Brothers and Strike Back. I'm close to finishing up both seasons of each show.

Caught two DVD viewings of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, with season two's first part. I'm kind of looking forward to the second part of season two if only to figure out the whole star-shaped villain thing.

I'm two-thirds of the way through Chicago Fire's sixth season. I'm going to miss Gabby in a big way. I'm almost afraid of what Matt's storyline is going to become. I'm also close to the last episode of Sense 8's first season. Looking forward to the holiday-themed movie that's next up and launches the second season.

Watch some classic television on the Pluto app for Roku. Fun stuff there. I've also been hitting some nostalgia by watching old episodes of Murder, She Wrote and Heat of the Night. I used to watch both shows when I lived with my Gram. We lost her this past March and it's been kind of wonderful to stroll down memory lane by revisiting these two shows.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from How to Tell Off the Boss, a novella that started with a two-word prompt of "bug off". I had a scene pop into my head the moment I read the words.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Orin Murdoch's boss, the newly installed VP of Sales, is driving him insane with new promotions that just don't work. Edda Case, an upstart marketing whiz, takes Orin in hand and teaches him how to tell off the boss with style.

And a snippety peek…

Edda entered the office the next day with her brain on Orin Murdoch. Weird. But she chalked it up to the ass-chewing he received. She firmly believed the jump bag campaign would take off. Hell, it should have taken off. Her work had been on the mark for the target audience.
Sitting behind her desk, she pulled some numbers from her projections. She'd built in a cushion—she always did—for stragglers. There were always customers who came on board later than most—they still had serviceable cases, they always waited until the initial launch and paid full price, or they had to go through a budget process. Marketing might be her forte but she could crunch numbers with the pros.
Like Orin.
The guy might be a little buttoned-up, but he had too much intelligence to suffer a loss of epic proportions. Especially with her kick-ass marketing campaign. Something smelled rotten and she wanted to get to the bottom of what caused the stench.
Printing the report, she got up and grabbed her coffee then headed down the corridor to Orin's office. She wanted to chat with him about the big picture stuff he always had a solid handle on.
She found him sitting with one hand under his chin and the other tapping out a rapid staccato on his desk. "Skyscrapers are too quick of a way for Linna to go. Edda totally got that wrong." He muttered something else about three hours of sleep sucking ass.
Edda made a mock protest. "I'll have you know I rarely get anything completely wrong." She set her coffee on the credenza in front of the window and placed the printed pages next to the cup. "Can you think of anything better?"
He leaned back and she'd never guess he didn't get much sleep. His crisp blue shirt stretched over his chest just enough to show the definition under the fabric. His bold royal and gold paisley-designed tie brought out the warm amber flecks in his brown gaze. Only when his gaze met hers did she see the dull thread of weariness there.
Orin chewed his lip before answering. "A hot sun and about a million fire ants sounds about right."
Edda bit back a laugh. "Wow, that's kind of vicious." She lowered her voice. "And kind of brilliant. Count me in if you need an accomplice."
Orin rolled his eyes. "As if. But she's driving me insane." He leaned forward again. "She's called three times this morning and she's only been here for an hour." A sigh escaped him. "I put her off until tomorrow. I need to do a complete audit of the whole campaign and if she wants the projections for the new launch by lunch today, she has to cut me slack somewhere." He closed his eyes and dragged in a deep breath. "I'm beyond tired of being her whipping boy."

This one is so much fun. I'm thinking it might need to be renamed to 1001 Ways to Wish Death on the Boss. Then again… that might be too bloodthirsty even for me. LOL



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment