Sunday, June 3, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Green-Eyed Monster

Well… half the year gone and I have no idea where it went. LOL I have some terrific news. My oldest kidlet, on his twenty-fifth birthday and fifth anniversary of dating his girlfriend, proposed and she said yes. I'll be welcoming a new daughter-in-law in the next year or so. She's already part of the family… the marriage will only make it official. Congratulations to both!

Good television viewing week. I started off with Endeavor and caught two episodes. Glad I was able to watch the opener for series three not long after the end of series two. That was kind of a cliffhanger.

Gotham went and changed all the rules again. I have so much love for this show. I truly think season four is its best yet. Everyone finally came into their roles and the cast and plotlines all meshed together in a brilliant fashion. I can't wait for season five. Seriously.

Caught two more episodes of Chicago Fire and Blindspot. I'm truly curious about where Roman is going with everything. I'm also hopeful he ends up not being a raging dickhole. Probably not much chance he won't be, but, yeah, here's hoping.

Also caught two episodes of Sense8 and Fearless. I'm getting into Sense8. It's not as hard to follow as I thought it would be. I'm excited to see where the rest of season one goes. Fearless is kind of relentless. I'm somewhat saddened the US person is such a raging bitch. Terrific actress though.

Krypton's first season is excellent. I have the finale to watch then it's wait, wait, wait for the next season. Argh!

I didn't get to finish Archangel on the app I was watching it on, so I'll have to find it on Netflix. I did finish up The Ghost Squad and, honestly, not a bad show. A little ambiguous, but quite enjoyable. I'm still working my way through the later seasons of Midsomer Murders and should be starting series twelve soon. On the rewatch front, I'm hitting The Sarah Conner Chronicles, Band of Brothers, and Strike Back's fourth season. I'm gearing up to watch the most recent season of Strike Back so I can be ready for season six when one of my favorite actors joins the cast.

Also caught another episode of Constantine and two more episodes of Classic Who. Mutant X has joined my lineup of shows I'm revisiting.

And that's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Green-Eyed Monster, a novella that started with the idea of a friendly fire incident.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Dani works undercover sting operations and inadvertently shoots the girlfriend of Neal, one her co-workers. When the green-eyed monster of jealousy rears its head, Dani isn't sure how to help Neal through the trauma, but she'll move whatever stands in the way to make sure he's happy.

And a snippety peek…

Neal Cassidy waited for his date to exit the car. Kyra Zarek took her time, straightening her coat and smoothing a crease from her jeans. She sent Neal a wide smile and linked her arm around his.
She stepped onto the crosswalk before speaking. "So, where are we going? Is this a new restaurant?" A gust of spring wind blew her hair across her face.
Neal ignored the twinge of guilt about her question. "Uh, no. It's been around for a while." Kind of an out of the way, off the beaten track place.
Perfect for what he needed tonight. Away from their usual haunts with little chance of running into people they knew. Neal wanted to sit down and talk about the hints Kyra started dropping two weeks ago.
About the future… specifically their future. Neal wanted to set the record straight and nip that idea in the bud. Being in a committed relationship didn't rank high on his radar right now… except maybe with Dani, the only person Neal ever wanted to plan a lifetime with. Kyra had too much going for her to get tangled up with his issues.
He pulled the door open, waiting for Kyra to finish reading the sign before following her in.
She loosened the belt of her jacket. "Hun's… I've never heard of this place."
Neal found a quiet table in the corner. "It's the best noodle house in the city." Not that she'd be able to tell by the half dozen customers in the restaurant—the place usually didn't start filling up until after ten.
Kyra settled onto her chair and grabbed a menu. "What do you recommend? Is there a specialty?"
Neal shook his head. "Not really, no. The garlic sesame is excellent." The adapted menu featured all kinds of Asian dishes but also offered a healthy amount of cuisine from other locales.
They got their order placed and their drinks arrived. Out of habit, Neal's gaze scanned the occupants and workers. A brief flash of a familiar shock of raven hair had him doing a double take, but he quickly discounted the eerie feeling. Dani took up a lot of space in his head, hence the reason for bringing Kyra out tonight. But how to approach the topic?
With Dani, he'd put everything out there and let things shake out as they would. The woman had boundary concerns. As in she didn't believe in them and blew past any she came across on a regular basis. Unless it came to her career. Then the boundaries she set could not be crossed.
Ever.
Kyra placed her palm over his hand. "What's going on, Neal? You obviously have something on your mind because you haven't answered any of the questions I've asked in the last five minutes."
He winced. "Sorry. You're right. It's been a long day and I've got a lot on my mind." The bell over the door jangled and four new customers walked in, momentarily distracting him.
He didn't like the bulky jackets they had on; not when the weather only called for something lightweight.
Kyra flashed a smile. "Well… you can look forward to having stress-free evenings once we find a place together. I was thinking we should look in the Hammond Heights area. You know halfway between where you work and my office." She got a dreamy look on her face.
Neal gently extracted his hand from under hers. "About that…" The four customers walked to the counter, fanning out in three directions while one stayed at the pickup area. "Kyra, I'm not sure—" Damn, why did the woman waiting on her order look so damn familiar?
Kyra crossed her arms over her chest. "Not sure about what, Neal? We've been talking about maybe moving in together for a while now—"
Distracted, he cut her off. "No, Kyra, you've been talking about it. I have a lease for another six months." His sixth-sense instincts kicked in when the woman at the counter asked about one of the employees.
The nervous glance the cashier sent over her shoulder ramped the edgy feeling into overdrive. Kyra spoke brightly about his lease not being a problem. She'd move in with him until it ended. No. That's not going to happen. But instead of speaking, he listened, focusing on the nervous energy building in the restaurant and the raised voice of the woman at the counter.
Kyra huffed out a breath. "Neal, are you paying attention here?"
He spared her a glance. "Hold on. Something's not right…"
The scene unfolded in slow motion. The four in heavy jackets withdrew weapons and the woman at the counter fired three rounds into the ceiling. Customers scattered to the floor, crouching beside chairs and scooting under tables. Kyra screeched out a startled breath and dropped off her seat to take cover between two tables.
Neal calmly stood and slowly walked toward the four armed people. "Look, whatever you want, I'm sure we can find an amicable solution."
Definitely not how he pictured the evening unfolding.

I'm not quite sure how this one is going to unfold, but I like how it's coming together.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment