Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Mixed Signals

We're entering the next to last month of the year… how did ten months already fly by? I got some scary news earlier in the week. My younger sibling had a major heart attack while at work and ended up having surgery to put stents in. He's actually doing terrific, considering it's one of the worst types of cardiac infarctions. I'm so very grateful I still have him around.

Needless to say, television viewing ended up being limited this week. The Last Ship killed off one my favorite characters and I’m still mourning that loss. Thankfully, The Flash had a pretty terrific episode and I love the introduction of meta-tech. Arrow is doing a great job of keeping me interested. I didn't know how I'd end up liking the whole prison angle, but I'm very satisfied with how it's playing out. Legends of Tomorrow remains excellent. I'm always surprised by how fast the hour flies by when I'm watching.

I caught another episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles. I'm about halfway through the season and the end is being shaped. I truly forgot how much I loved this show. Also caught another episode of Birds of Prey. Stylistically, I love how this series plays out on the screen. Caught another episode of Lexx and completely forgot about Stan's trial. I actually enjoyed this one.

Doctor Who's episode with spiders ended up being pretty good. I'm never sure how I'll take to episodes with creepy-crawly things. Somewhat disappointed there won't be a Christmas special this year but having a New Year's show could be fun. We'll see.

Got another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold in. Enjoyed seeing how that one played out. I'm almost finished with the first season and I'm not sure if I'll continue on because it seems like the second series has an almost entirely new cast. I'll watch a few episodes and see what happens.

Caught another Hallmark movie, Hannah's Law. Ended up being pretty decent. I watched mainly for Greyston Holt, a favorite actor of mine.

Rounded out the week with some classic television marathons. The Saint throughout the week and Burke's Law this weekend.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Mixed Signals, a novella that got a start with a what-if scenario involving friendly fire and an old relationship.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Avery and Trigg, both undercover cops, can't keep their relationship going. Their work makes it hard to stay connected. When mixed signals results in Avery shooting Trigg in a friendly fire incident, she wants to set the record straight and maybe test the waters to pick up where they left off.

And a snippety peek…

A knock sounded on the door and Trigg opened his eyes. The TV droned in the background, but the pain meds kept him drifting in and out of wakefulness. The wood slab pushed open and Dinah entered the room. His lips curved in a smile.
But only for a moment. Dinah wore resignation on her face and had reluctance in her step. She pulled her hand from her pocket and dangled the apartment keys from her fingers.
Trigg didn't need verbal confirmation. They were finished. Truth told, he didn't have it in him to fight for her right now.
He winced when he sat up straighter and dug his shoulders into the pillows behind his back. "You're cutting out?" Did he care?
He couldn't honestly say he did.
Dinah put the keys on the patient tray at his bedside. "I have to, Trigg. I can't handle this. You getting shot… just… it's my wake-up call." Her hands went back inside her pockets and her shoulders hunched forward.
Trigg made a stab at salvaging the relationship. "Dinah, I've been a cop for over a decade. This is the first time I've been injured on the job." Didn't mean it wouldn't happen again but a bus could him tomorrow, too.
Dinah shuddered. "You say that like it's no big deal. Once in a decade is still one time too many." She turned for the exit. "I'm sorry, Trigg. I can't do the be-strong thing and hope for the best." Pulling the door open, she lifted a hand. "Good-bye."
Heaving a sigh, he didn't stop her. And he didn't respond. She didn't need a farewell from him. Not when she'd made a decision without even discussing it with him.
Finding the remote, he switched off the television. Getting dumped in the hospital while recovering from a bullet wound had to be a new low. And he'd had some pretty serious downs.
Like getting shot by your ex.

This one is coming together in little pieces at a time. The sages have a good idea of what they want but their delivery is out of order. Go figure.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment