Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sunday Snippet: A Very Awkward Evening


Whew. This week flew right by. We're still waiting on our new furnace, which I should have by my next post. My workload is bananas right now and I didn't get a chance to watch much television due to deadlines. It's also been a busy week with my daughter's golf banquet and awards ceremony and state band competition.

I started a new episode of Blue Heelers but stopped midway through so I need to finish it up this week.

I started out with Midsomer Murders and watched the first episode of the final series. The new coroner is kind of fun and recognizable from a Doctor Who episode, at least that's where I remember her from.

I'm limping through the Riverdale musical episode "Big Fun". I keep stopping the action because I don't want to miss anything. I can honestly say I'm impressed with the way this episode is put together. I love how many of the group is involved in the musical. The only thing I'm not a fan of is how much screen time Eleanor is sucking up. I realize there's a reason for it but she's right up there with Hiram in the characters I love to hate department. I do think I'll have time to finish up later tonight or early tomorrow. Then it's off to the new season of Arrow, where I'll probably weep through every episode.

I caught a few holiday movies in the background during the workday and also ended up catching a bunch of Blue Bloods episodes.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from A Very Awkward Evening, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Vi Palona's rock star mom wants a sit down meeting with Garwin Noth's academic parents, which Vi keeps putting off because her mother, Mina, has no edit button. When Mina crashes a birthday dinner, Vi figures her mom can't do much damage… but five minutes into the evening she learns how wrong she is.

And a snippety peek…

Vi opened the door and almost groaned.
Her mother flung her arms wide and shimmied her hips. "Surprise! I told you I wanted to drop in. Here I am." She nudged past Vi and entered the foyer.
Shit. Shit. Shit. Of all the nights for her mom to call Vi's bluff… she picked this one. Why now?
Vi grabbed Mina's arm and pulled her aside. "Mom, this isn't a good time. Gar's parents are over to celebrate his birthday." And
Mina cocked her head and blinked in confusion. "I thought you said they were on some weekend retreat."
Vi lifted a shoulder, quickly covering her cover story. "They canceled to spend the evening with Gar." White lies never hurt anyone, right?
Mina waved her hand. "No matter. I've been wanting to meet the people who spawned the glorious hunk you're shacked up with." She leaned in and lowered her voice. "I'll bet they're gorgeous." She added an eyebrow waggle for effect.
Vi closed her eyes and sighed. "Seriously, Mina?" Did she always have to be so damned superficial?
Mina frowned. "You only call me Mina when you're angry. What did I do this time?" She crossed her arms over her chest.
Vi shook her head. "Never mind, Mom. We're getting ready to sit down for dinner. You might as well join us."
Mina strutted into the living room. "Happy birthday, Gar! Since I didn't know it was your birthday, I'm giving you the only gift I have right now… myself." She spun in a small circle then whipped out the rock and roll horns, bending her middle and ring fingers into the palms of her hands. "So… this is the couple who still has a little something-something going on post-divorce. Go you two." She thrust her hand forward. "I'm Mina, Vi's mom."
Lance colored up to a ruddy shade of red but clasped Mina's palm. "Lance Noth and Garwin's mother, Janice." He cocked his head to one side. "You're the lead singer for the Damn Banshees, aren't you?"
Mina flashed a grin. "In the flesh. I'm so glad I get to meet you two." She shot Vi an arched eyebrow look. "My daughter thought you'd be out of town this weekend. I'm happy you're not, even though you probably would've ditched the seminar and stayed in your room the whole time."
Janice blinked then recoiled a little. Why wouldn't she? Who the hell wanted a running commentary from someone who knew fuck-all about them? And vice versa. And, of course, it highlighted the fact Vi lied about Lance and Janice taking a weekend retreat.
Vi broke in quickly. "Dinner's on. We can all get seated." She started for the table in the corner, dragging a side chair to make room for Mina. "I hope you guys don't mind my mother joining us." And maybe ruining the entire evening.

I love this story and writing Mina brings me so much joy. It's a fun dynamic to create a character with no filter or edit button.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment