Sunday, December 8, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Voices Carry


I wish I could say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, but it's so not. LOL I'm hoping I can add some holiday cheer to the casa sometime this week. I think I'm going to make 2020 my year to finally purge a ton of stuff we no longer need or use.

Didn't have a great week of television, but did get a few things watched. We got a Disney + account through our wireless carrier so I did start a rewatch of the Gargoyles series. I have so many fond memories of this show when my oldest was little.

I finished the Gilmore Girls marathon and had some pretty intense feels. I watched sporadically when it originally aired, mainly because I had three youngish kiddos at the time. I really love the vibe of this show, even when I wanted to strangle the characters sometimes.

Caught another episode of Midsomer Murders and also realized series twenty isn't the last one. Yay!!

Caught a full story arc of Sapphire and Steel along with a full arc of Classic Who. I'd forgotten how much I truly disliked the Master way back when.

I finished out the week with The Trouble with Mistletoe, a Passionflix original. If you're not a member, consider signing up. I love the service!

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Voices Carry, a novella that started with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Summer Blaine is a struggling artist who always listens to Detective Fitch Falconer's tales of triumphs and woes when he drops by the diner she works in to make ends meet. When she gets a chance to display her art, she invites Fitch to the gallery to see her true passion. Unfortunately, a ghost from her past tries to get in the way and it's up to Fitch to find out who wants her dead.

And a snippety peek…

I feel like I've passed a test of some kind.
Fitch followed Summer down the long hallway and stopped outside her door. Her artistic flair showed in the bold color choice and decorative border surrounding the jambs.
Summer smiled and pushed the shiny red wood open to reveal her inner sanctum.
Fitch crossed the threshold and whistled. "Whew. This is like entering a different dimension." She had serious talent.
Summer ducked her head a little. "It's a lot, but I love it." Her gaze met his, almost shyly.
Fitch took a moment to appreciate the invitation into her personal space. His gut told him she didn't share this level of intimacy with many people—except with her artwork. Having a glimpse of this side to her meant something.
Fitch soaked up the atmosphere she'd created. "It's amazing." She'd taken color to new levels, creating a cohesive environment that had easily distinguishable spaces with touches of personality stamped in each one.
Summer entered the kitchen area. "I have dark roast and hazelnut. Which do you prefer?" She moved the single unit coffeemaker to the edge of the counter and sent him a quick glance over her shoulder.
Fitch stepped up to the island with barstools lining one end. "Hazelnut. Love the aroma." He loved her efficiency of movement, picturing her with a paintbrush in her hand and a canvas before her. "Laura's excited about the opening. I'll bet she loves the title you decided on." As an opener… playing it safe sounded like the best option.
Summer set the brewed coffee in front of him. "She does. She likes the fact it came from our conversations even more." She started another cup. "I think she's got her matchmaking cap on." A sly look came his way.
He sputtered on his first sip. "Uh… why do you think so?" He hoped like hell Laura didn't suggest Summer ask him to the opening.
Summer laughed. "Because, when we met, she said something along the lines of 'no wonder he turned down a date with my assistant.'" Her cup ready, she joined him at the bar.
Fitch groaned. "Ugh, she didn't." But, of course, she had.
Summer's lips twitched. "Yeah, she kinda did." She sobered. "But I'm glad in a way because I didn't know if inviting you to go with me would be stepping on anyone's toes." Her eyebrow quirked upward.
Fitch shook his head. "Um, no. Much to Laura's dismay." He put his cards on the table. "I haven't been ready to settle down, mainly because I'm a terrible bet for anything normal." With the exception of stopping in to the diner, he didn't have a regular schedule.
Summer took a long sip of coffee then set the mug down. "Normal's overrated. Routine can be good, but a lot can be said for changing things up on a frequent basis." She leaned her forearms on the bar. "Is that what I am to you?"

I'm excited about this story. Summer and Fitch are going to navigate a few twists and turns and it's fun to write their journey.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment