Sunday, January 26, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Youth is Overrated


Wow, I can't believe January is almost over. Actually… yeah, I can. It's been a strange month. The weather is definitely not winter-like, which I'm not really complaining about. It might be nice to have snow… but maybe after we get our roof repaired.

Slow week for television as I had a few projects to get caught up on. I caught a new arc of Classic Who episodes. I'm in the tenth season and have one more to go with Three.

Also watched two more episodes of Gargoyles and finished out the first season. The second is super long with something like fifty-plus episodes. I'll gradually make my way through those.

I watched the first episode season eight's Arrow. Man… I'm going to miss this show so much. I'm excited there might be carry-on with Mia and the Dinah's and I actually hope some of the others in the 2040 version of Starling City find their way to the new show.

Caught an episode of Murdoch Mysteries and loved it. I always find it fun when they have historical figures mixed in with the regular cast. And I love the soft jabs the show takes at current events.

Watched another episode of Frankie Drake Mysteries and I have one left for the third season. I really love how they work Flo and Mary into the storylines and I'll be interested to see what season four has on the horizon. If there is a season four.

Started the Riverdale finale for season three. I'm so hoping Edgar is gone for season four and I know Hiram isn't but I at least I might get one wish to come true. Seriously, I hate Hiram with the passion of a thousand burning suns. Ugh.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Youth is Overrated, a novella that got a start with a writing community prompt.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tatum Moore and Fisher Vogler have three grown children and their oldest is considering divorce. When he seeks advice from his parents, they try not to interfere but provide insight into a passionate opposites attract marriage and how to make it work.

And a snippety peek…

Well, hell. A ton of bricks would've landed easier on her than her son's words. Tatum shifted her gaze sideways to gauge Fisher's reaction. His stunned countenance matched hers.
She strode forward and grabbed Jamie's arm, hauling him to the table and pushing him into a seat. Pulling another back, she sank down and sent a silent thank-you to Fisher when he set the coffee in front of her.
Pushing her shocked reaction aside, she laid a hand on Jamie's. "What's going on, Jamie? You're asking for a divorce?" What the hell had happened… what signs had she missed?
Tatum had a decent grip on her children's statuses—what they had going on in their lives, jobs, schooling, and relationships. Maybe not so much. The normally close bond stretched taut at the moment.
Fisher remained standing, his hips propped against the counter. No surprise there. He always thought better on his feet.
He gave Jamie a pointed look. "Plan to answer your mom anytime soon?" His voice softened. "I get needing to take a moment to collect your thoughts but you just dropped a bomb, Jame. Talk to us." He folded his arms over his chest but his words lacked any kind of heat.
Jamie shook his head. "Yeah, sorry. Not sure about the divorce thing. I think I needed to say it to see how it felt." His lips twisted. "Not good, by the way. Which is why I want to stay a few days if you don't mind."
Okay, that explained the three suitcases in the foyer. But maybe overkill for a few days.
Tatum shot Fisher another questioning glance. He shrugged and gave a quick nod.
She squeezed Jamie's hand. "You can stay, of course. What can we do to help here?" She didn't want to push hard but, damn, she needed some idea of what the hell happened with Jamie and Risa.
Jamie sighed. "Honestly, Mom, I don't know. Risa and I are taking a break to think about things, namely us, our marriage, and what we want from the future." He huffed out a breath. "Lately, it's been total chaos, or maybe I should say more chaotic than usual and I'm at a point where peace and calm are about the only two things I want in life." His shoulders slumped forward.
Tatum snorted. "Peace and calm are overrated. Not saying they aren't important and all but, Jamie, life tends to get a little boring when it's all quietness and tranquility." Neither Risa nor Jamie had jobs that fostered a serene vibe.
Jamie rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah. I know. There's more to it than both of us going Mach two with our hair on fire. Risa and I always come at our problems from different angles. We're never on the same page. I mean, I love her. Pretty much from the first moment we met." His gaze met Tatum's. "How do I know if that's enough? Because, right now, I'm too tired and angry to think about much else." Pain and defeat warred in his eyes.
Tatum's heart went out to her oldest. His words sent her mind back, way back, to the very beginning with Fisher. Jamie's predicament had deep roots and the tendrils sprouted with her and Fisher.
She glanced up at her husband. "Sounds familiar, doesn't it?" Especially the part about loving from the very first moment.
Fisher's lips kicked up in a wry smile. "It does, yes. Why don't you tell him about our first meeting."

I'm taking a different approach with this story and I'm having a good time writing it. I love taking a walk down memory lane and Tatum and Fisher have a long and winding road they've traveled.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment