Sunday, July 10, 2022

Sunday Snippet: The Cabin

Crazy week with projects finishing up and new ones starting. I love the variety of editing work I have right now.

Pretty decent week of television. I got caught up and back on my regular schedule for the most part. I have a few new recommendations and I have to decide if I'm going to work those shows into my weekly viewing calendar.

To start things off this week, I caught an episode of The Ready Room with a recap of season two, episode nine. This was such a great one. I always love when the interviewee is a huge fan of the franchise.

Watched two episodes of Chicago Med. I'm a little disgusted by Nat's storyline even if I'm thrilled to bits that she kicked Philip to the curb. I'm so glad Maggie finally told the others what's going on with her. Nice to see Noah kind of stepping up and growing in his role as a resident. I love this show.

Enjoyed an episode of The Snoopy Show. I kind of like it when they let Snoopy act like a dog and enjoy things like head scratches. So much fun.

Caught the bonus episode of Signora Volpe with behind the scenes cast interviews. I'm hoping there will be another season of this show because I really love the characters.

Watched a well-done first-parter of Silent Witness. This arc is very twisty and turny. I have a solid idea of who the killer is and why they're trying to set up Nicki. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

Enjoyed an episode of Classic Who. Ace is rather fun and I like how she handled the betrayal. This is another episode kind of set in the fifties and that always interests me because it was such a thing in the late seventies and early eighties.

Started season three (because there is no season two) of Most Terrifying Places in America. This one focused on haunted road trips and I liked the change in the format. I'll finish the series out before starting something new.

Finished the first season of The Mandalorian. I truly loved it! Now I have to decide if I'm going to dive right into the next season or start a new show and wait until it's closer to season three. Stay tuned.

Caught an episode of Harrow and, whoo boy, the walls are closing in. James is a big, fat liar—about everything. Nichols is completely in the know and it kind of breaks my heart because Harrow needs friends and he might have burned a bridge here. I still completely dislike the boss person even though they tried to soften her up by giving her a kid. Sorry, not buying it.

Watched an episode of Blue Heelers and loved it. A very young Sullivan Stapleton guest starred and the storyline rocked. Good stuff.

Enjoyed another MasterClass with Roxane Gay. She discussed the writing process in this lesson and I took away some good information.

Also caught two more episodes of Classic Rugrats and took another trip down memory lane. This show played such a huge role in my kids' childhoods. Makes me happy to reminisce.

That's pretty much it for this week's life update. Tonight's post is from The Cabin, a novella that features a bit of a sibling rivalry with a twist.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Whip meets the woman of his dreams when he tries to convince Kari to give his brother another shot at her art class. But when she can't accommodate the request, Whip still wants to pursue a relationship … until his brother tries to get in the way and Kari decides she won't come between them.

And a snippety peek…

Whip liked Kari Kells. She didn't mince words but she didn't go out of her way to be as blunt as she could have been. The shit show his brother turned in deserved the rejection letter.

Shaking his head, he shoved the work back into the portfolio. "I'm sorry. I've completely wasted your time here." He zipped the file and tucked it under his arm. "I'll be having a long conversation with my brother…" He paused when he glanced up to find her studying him. "But, er, not today. I need some time to cool down. Right now, I want to thump him."

Kari laughed and, holy crap, she lit up. He wouldn't call her cute and pretty didn't quite cut it. Gorgeous worked and not in an intimidating way. She had an open beauty that made her approachable.

Geez, listen to me. Get a grip, man.

Kari lifted her chin. "I'd suggest not being too hard on your brother, but he needs to know I can't make room." Her lips quirked. "Even if he sends in the big guns in an attempt to change my mind."

Whip blinked. "Is that a compliment?" He sounded stupid, but, shit … he'd been out of the dating game for a long time.

Then again, how long had it been since he'd been interested in going out with someone? He definitely had more than a passing curiosity here. Sparks all but flew between them.

Kari gave a nod. "Definitely a compliment. And I'm trained to recognize a work of art when I see one." Her lips curved in a sly grin.

Whip huffed out a breath. "Well, thank you. I'm a little out of practice with the whole flirting and banter thing. Between work and Warner, I don't have a lot of time." He met her gaze. "But I want to make time if you'll have dinner with me tonight." He winced. "What I mean is, I'd like to do something to make up for my brother's blunder and I'd really like to get to know you better."

Kari tilted her head to one side. "What about Warner? Will he be included?"

Whip snorted. "Hell, no. Warner can fend for himself." His brother needed to step up and act like an adult.

Kari reached for a notepad. "In that case, why don't you give me a call later today and we'll figure something out. I have class until six." She tore the page off and handed it to him.

Whip took the number and tucked it into his shirt pocket. "I'll do that." He grinned. "I'll look forward to it." With a quick wave, he headed for the door.

Once he got outside and into his vehicle, he quickly keyed her number into his phone.

Staring at the screen, he chuckled. "Hot damn. I have a date."

I love having a family dynamic and this one is going to be fun to explore. Whip wears a lot of figurative hats and he's going to add one more.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment