Sunday, September 10, 2023

Sunday Snippet: Meet Me by the Mistletoe

Ohio had record high temperatures this past week, but the weekend has brought some fall-like weather. I'm looking forward to seeing the leaves change even if it seems like the colors are less vibrant than they used to be.

Juggled several work projects and I'm in the final stages of two and starting a couple of small new ones. I'm liking the mix of things I'm currently working on. It's fun to stretch my wings sometimes.

Had a solid week of viewing, which seems weird because I did have a lot of work stuff to get done.

I started a new to me series with Agatha Raisin and thoroughly enjoyed the first two episodes. I think I'm going to like this one!

I finished up season two of Suspects and, wow, the last episode kind of packed a punch. I'll have to wait to see if more episodes become available on the streamer I use. I'm not quite ready to sign up for yet another one to see the remaining seasons.

Caught the first episode of Peak Practice season ten. Also started the second episode but got a little distracted. I might end up skipping a few because I really don't care about Andrew and his affair.

Watched a Silent Witness two-parter that dived into the Troubles and thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns.

Forgot to include Battlestar Galactica in last week's recap. Watched "Captain's Hand," which is one of my favorite episodes. This week we watched "Downloaded," which is kind of the beginning of the end to a promising series. With twenty years of hindsight, I can honestly say I didn't need or want to know that much about the cylons.

Enjoyed two episodes of Death in Paradise. I loved the hurricane episode. Only Richard would think it's just a little wind. One more episode for season two and then it's time for a changing of the guard.

Caught two episodes of Fantasy Island. I'll admit, I'm on the fence with Roark and Javier. I'm kind of down with the building of the friendship and letting Javier all Elena out for trying to protect Ruby. The thing is … he's not wrong, but he should also know Elena might have been down this road before and she almost always has information she can't share, which is kind of hinted at when Ruby more or less forgets about Mel. What's next? She forgets her kids? So … I rather love that this thread looks like it will be spun out to a thin tether. Also makes me wonder what's in store with Ruby's tattoo.

Watched two more episodes of The Batman. ManBat and Victor Frieze were the bad guys for these two. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this show the first run through.

Enjoyed two episodes of Classic Rugrats. Finally had another one with Susie, which makes me happy. Also forgot how much fun it was to have Chuckie act like Angelica for a day.

Started a rewatch of VIP. Sometimes it's so much fun to go back to shows from the late nineties and early aughts and enjoy the creative license and sheer escapism they provide.

Also started another new to me series with My Life Is Murder. I'm not quite finished with the episode, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far!

And that's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Meet Me by the Mistletoe, a holiday-themed novella featuring the trio from Merry and Bright.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Presley Griffith wants to create one more new holiday tradition with her men, Gunnar Stewart and Frazier Boyle, and celebrate their one-year anniversary with style. With hectic schedules revolving around the hospital, fire station and police department, she's not sure she can pull it off. A cryptic message to meet her by the mistletoe at a secluded bed and breakfast brings both men calling with bells on.

And a snippety peek…

Frazier stood outside Presley's door and tilted his head. "What the hell?" He pulled the note from its spot between the jamb and the hard oak surface.

Gunnar peered over Fraz's shoulder. "Gunnar, text me when you get this." He unlocked his phone and shot off a quick message. "Fraz got done early. We're at your place."

Fraz's eyebrows furrowed. "Wonder why she's not here." She did ask them to meet her.

Gunnar's phone chimed. "She says, 'Check inside the door and bring the bags. Then meet me by the mistletoe at 1717 Wemberly Place.'" Gunnar shot Fraz a sideways glance. "Wemberly? That's a residential street like three blocks over." He narrowed his gaze.

Fraz nodded. "Yeah, brownstones and those big mansions turned into four and five-unit condos." He arched his brows. "Weird she wants to meet us there, right?" He slid his key to Presley's apartment in the lock and popped the door open.

Sure enough, two duffel bags sat just inside the door. Fraz grabbed Gunnar's and handed it over then picked the other one up. They could walk from here … but some instinct told Fraz they should take Gunnar's jeep.

Fraz lifted his chin. "Let's leave my car here and take yours." He started for the SUV.

Gunnar grunted. "You really have no idea what's going on?" He unlocked the vehicle and slid behind the wheel.

Fraz shook his head. "I don't. But the bags suggest we're either staying or going somewhere. Might as well have a car, just in case." He sent Presley a text. "On our way. Be there in five." Pocketing his phone, his brain spun with questions.

Gunnar stopped at a light. "Think she knows about our surprise?" He patted his jacket pocket.

Frazier rolled a shoulder. "If she does, it's because you talk in your sleep." His lips twitched.

Gunnar did not talk in his sleep.

Gunnar snorted. "Yeah, right. Dude, you're the one who can't keep your yap shut." He gave Frazier a pointed look.

Frazier's face flushed. "In my defense, I didn't say anything. I sent a text to our group chat instead of to you. And we still managed to surprise her because she didn't know what type of cake we were getting for her birthday." Geez, send one wrong text and never live it down.

Gunnar parked on the street and cut the engine. "1717. Two houses up. Looks like the porch light is on." He peered through the windshield.

Frazier narrowed his gaze. "And it looks like there's a light on inside. Guess we should find out what's going on." He opened the door and grinned when Presley waved through a downstairs window.

Gunnar fell into step beside Frazier, and they made their way to a three-story brownstone that had seen better days. Peeling paint on the stoop and door along with a mailbox tilted sideways and the house numbers going in three different directions greeted them when they walked up the steps. Gunnar angled his head, a question in his gaze.

Frazier shrugged. "Let's knock and see what happens…"

I have a lot of love for this trio. It's fun to write fluffy fiction for the holiday season.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment