Sunday, March 17, 2024

Sunday Snippet: Ring It In

Happy St. Patrick's Day! It's been a chaotic week with work projects and life stuff going on. And my distraction levels are making me frustrated. But … I'm still getting stuff done so I can't really complain.

I definitely didn't make a full round of shows this week. Just didn't have the bandwidth with my focus being all over the place.

I did catch an episode of The Batman and had vague memories of watching this the first time around. Joker episodes are hit and miss in the version of the dark knight.

Watched an episode of My Life Is Murder and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm almost finished with this show, and I'll miss it when I'm done. Such a fun cast of characters.

Caught another episode of Midsomer Murders and again enjoyed the mystery. I'd seen something of a similar nature of the plot based on a true story, so this episode ended up being a lot of fun.

Finished up the final episode of Silent Witness season twenty-five. I'll be starting season twenty-six this week. Ended up really enjoying the limited episode run.

That's pretty much it for the life update this week. Tonight's post is from Ring It In, a New Year's Eve sexy short.

Here's the miniblurb:

Recovering from post-holiday family drama, Paris Lightful wants to spend New Year's Eve in her uncle's cabin with nothing but her laptop and a ton of action movies. When near blizzard conditions strand Deputy Kelton Pine at her location, Paris doesn't welcome the intrusion, especially since Kelton has a major chip on his shoulder. But once the ice breaks between the couple, things heat up rather quickly.

And a snippety peek…

December 30, early evening…

 

A knock sounded on Paris's door again.

She grabbed the poker and called out. "Who's there?"

A voice answered. "Deputy Pine."

She huffed out a relieved sigh and opened the door.

Kel stood outside, large, fluffy snowflakes drifting down around him. This time, instead of his cruiser, he had a big SUV. His gaze lingered on the poker and a slight note of respect crossed his features.

Would wonders never cease?

Paris lifted her chin. "Deputy. Lovely weather we're having." Pleasantries would require effort she didn't feel like giving, but she moved aside so he could get out of the cold.

Kelton entered the cabin, but his furrowed brow showed he didn't appreciate her sarcasm. "You're not going anywhere, are you?" His gaze scanned from side to side.

Her brow arched. "Not that it's any of your business, but no. I came up here for solitude and quiet." She gave him a pointed look. "Someone keeps crashing my calm." And living rent free in her mind at the same time.

He shuffled a little and had the grace to flush. "Right, well, I stopped by to let you know I caught our guy … hiding in the Handermans' shed. He's now enjoying a nice warm cell at county lockup." He glanced over his shoulder. "I also wanted to let you know the roads are impassable right now. If you don't need to leave, don't." His gaze met hers again.

She nodded. "No problem. Like I said, no plans to go anywhere." She shrugged and pulled her shirt closer around her.

He focused behind her. "Don't suppose you're set up if the power goes out?"

Pissed off, she wanted to jab him with the poker. "Why would you assume I'm not? You know Uncle Mick has a generator. Do you think I'm too delicate to get it started?" What the hell crawled up his ass?

Kelton held his hands up. "I didn't say that." He wisely took a step backward.

Paris snorted. "You didn't have to. Your snide tone more than implies your meaning." She planted her hands on her hips. "What the hell is your problem with me?" Because he definitely had one.

Kelton stared at her for a moment. "I don't have issue with you directly. But my experience with your type pretty much sucks." He rolled a shoulder.

Paris blinked. "My type?" Her head tilted back. "Ah, now I get it." She met his gaze. "Which of my former high school classmates pissed on your parade?" And why would he lump her into his

Kelton didn't hesitate with his answer. "Bindi Buchman."

Paris stopped short of making a garbled choking sound. "Seriously?" She marched forward and opened the door. "You can leave. Now." She wouldn't be held responsible if he didn't exit quickly.

Kelton smirked. "Touch a nerve, did I?"

Paris rolled her eyes. "By lumping me in with Bindi's bitches?" Did he have any kind of clue? "That's not hitting a nerve. It's an outright insult." One she didn't deserve.

Kelton cocked his head. "Did you have a falling out? You were pretty tight with her in high school. Bffs and all that."

Paris shot back. "Where did you get that idea?"

Kelton's lips curved. "My keen observational skills."

Paris snorted. "They failed you, Kel. If you had bothered to look under the surface, you'd have realized I didn't have Bffs." Much to her mother's dismay.

Kel gave her a confused look. "But you used to—"

Paris cut him off. "I talked to everyone, Kel. The jocks, the nerds, the stoners, the music geeks, the suffering artists, and yeah, Bindi and her bunch. I existed on the fringes, never a full part of any one group." She'd liked nonconforming, because it drove her mother nuts.

Kel tilted his head. "I only remember seeing you with Bindi and her gang of glamor girls."

Paris stared him dead in the face. "Because you were a jock. You didn't look anywhere else." She turned away from him. "And you only had eyes for the HBIC, meaning Bindi Buchman." Much to Paris's tender-hearted dismay.

So excited about this story. Paris and Kelton are fun to write and I love guiding couples back into each other's orbits.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment