Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sunday Snippet: The Cabin

I hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a wonderful one. Ours was low key, exactly the way I like it.

Somewhat of a short week for television. I did enjoy The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. Getting some insight into Mick's world made me happy. The big crossover is coming up on Monday and I'm kind of excited to see it.

Arrow's Thanksgiving episode turned out to be excellent. Love having Thea back and hopefully back in true Thea form.

As usual, I'm behind on a few of my binge watch shows but I'm addicted to the Hallmark Channels' holiday movies. I really love having something going pretty much 24 / 7.

Looking forward to the return of Riverdale next week.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from The Cabin, a novella that got a writing community start with a prompt of: Grandpa's cabin.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Whip meets the woman of his dreams when he tries to convince Kari to give his brother another shot at her art class. But when she can't accommodate the request, Whip still wants to pursue a relationship… until his brother tries to get in the way and Kari decides she won't come between them.

And a snippety peek…

Warner Harrington slammed the door and stomped into the kitchen. "Whip, you're not gonna believe what that bitch professor did to me." He waved an envelope with an open letter back and forth.
Whip leveled his gaze on his younger brother. "Why don't you calm down and fill me in." He put the lid on the pasta sauce and turned the burner down.
Warner had cooking duty on Wednesday nights. But Whip stepped in when his brother didn't show up until five minutes ago. Well after six p.m.
Warner paced back and forth. "She's not letting me into her class. And I need the elective or I can't take what I want to next semester." He paused a moment, sniffing the air. "What's on the stove, bro?" Reaching out, he removed the lid and inhaled deeply. "Ah, man. We just had pasta two days ago." He grumbled about needing variety in their diet.
Maybe if he'd been home when he should have been, they wouldn't be having spaghetti a second time this week. Whip resisted the urge to thwap his brother upside the head. One thing at a time and schooling came first.
Whip nudged his brother back on topic. "You said something about your class…"
Warner shoved the letter toward Whip. "Yeah, stupid bitch refused to let me in her class."
Whip grabbed his brother's wrist before taking the page. "What did I tell you about respect, Warn?" He tightened his grip. "Do we need to have the conversation again?" He hated having to play three roles sometimes.
Dad. Mom. Brother. So much easier before Mom died and Dad left.
Warner jerked his hand away. "No, we don't. I'm sorry." He pointed to the letter. "I'm pissed because it's too late to sign up for another elective and I needed this class."
Whip quickly read the rejection. "Okay, look, it says you can pick up your portfolio during her office hours. Maybe I stop by to get it and speak to Ms. Kells and see if she'll reconsider." Putting the letter aside, he went back to getting dinner ready. "Why didn't you have a backup in place like we talked about?" He set the table and indicated Warner should get some glasses for their drinks.
Warner pulled two tumblers down from the cupboard. "Eh, the art class looked like the easiest class for credit. The others had too many assignments and research projects." He filled the cups with tea because Warner didn't remember to stop and get soda yesterday.
Whip brought the food to the table. "Fine. Busting your chops obviously won't do any good since it's too late but, seriously, you've got to get your shit together, Warner."
His brother flashed a smile. "That's what I have you for, bro. You'll go talk to the lady and get it all straightened out." He pulled his chair out and dug into the spaghetti.
Whip shook his head but stayed silent. His brother's confidence in Whip's ability to smooth things over might end up being misplaced. But Whip would try. He couldn't not at least make the attempt. But Warner might end up being sorely disappointed.
Whip's negotiating skills only went so far.

I'm having fun writing the bratty Warner. Whip's going to have to decide what to do about his immature brother.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment