Sunday, December 23, 2018

Sunday Snippet: Oceanfront Villa

Happy early holidays. I hope everyone has a wonderful season full of love, laughter, and fun. If not, I hope the trauma is limited and as painless as possible.

The past week flew by with a lot of crazy running around. I did manage to get a ton of work cleared and got in some television viewing while doing so. Caught another episode of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. Seriously, I love this show so much. I think I'm about halfway through the season. Also caught another episode of Strike Back and, damn, the CO pulled a twisty move I didn't anticipate. Gotta say, I'm kind of pissed and sincerely hope she gets what's coming to her. Can't wait to watch the next episode and see some familiar faces.

Caught an episode of Chicago Fire and thoroughly enjoyed. I like Christopher as the new lieutenant and it was so nice to have the weasel-like commissioner dude not around. I'm not down with that plot point at all. Caught episode nine of Luke Cage and loved the little twists. Glad to see Bushwhacker get his ass handed to him for once.

Watched Mr. 365, a Passionflix original holiday movie. I liked it a lot. Looking forward to the holiday quickie, which I might not get to until after the actual holiday. LOL

Murdoch Mysteries's sixth episode will need a rewatch. I'm not actually sure what the hell happened. LOL

I'm finished with the first season of Penny Dreadful. The last episode ended up having quite a few surprises. Good ones. I'm ready for season two. Also caught an episode of Wynonna Earp. This show never fails to throw in a crazy twist and get really messy. I like that.

Watched episode twelve of The Dresden Files and remembered this one from my original viewing. I liked having Murphy's dad in the mix. Also started episode two of Underbelly: Razor. I'll try to finish it up soon.

Watched another episode of Classic Who and finally finished the fifth episode of Doctor Who. It ended up being better than expected.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Between work and getting the final shopping stuff done, I ran out of steam.

Tonight's post is from Oceanfront Villa, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of "vacationing together". I decided to make it a reconnect-type of vacation.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Danielle Finch is a hardworking doctor who rarely takes time off and her relationship with Vince Darkholme, an in-demand attorney, suffers for the lack of face time. When Vince's client offers the use of his oceanfront villa, Danielle readily agrees to take two weeks to rekindle the passion she sorely misses with Vince.

And a snippety peek…

Danielle heaved a sigh and picked up her handset. "Gigi, do I have any more patients today?" Her tablet indicated she'd finished with the last one.
Since Monica Rense's visit, she'd had a full week of nonstop craziness. Missing Sunday brunch at Risa's sent her spiraling into stress mode. She'd wanted to spend the time with Vince.
Gigi only took a moment to respond. "No, Doctor Finch. We're done with visits. Just have the labs to send out and I can handle those after you sign off." She sent the orders to Danielle's tablet.
She clicked the first file to open it. "I've got them. Thanks." She paused a moment, making a quick decision. "Gigi, start going light on the schedule and be ready to juggle a few appointments. I'm going to see if Doctor Morales can cover for me for a few weeks." If nothing else, some downtime would let her recharge a little and maybe have dinner with her husband a few nights.
Gigi's used a concerned tone. "Is everything all right, Doctor Finch?"
Danielle's lips curved. "Honestly? I'm running close to burning out. I haven't taken a vacation in almost two years. I think it's time to disconnect and regroup. Maybe look at bringing a partner on now that the practice is established." Someone to share the ups and downs with.
Gigi got excited. "Yes! It's about time if you don't mind me saying so." Her fingers clicked on her keyboard. "I'll get to work on the schedule and you should remind Doctor Morales that not only did you cover for her when her daughter went into labor, you also took her patient load over the holidays last year."
Danielle had forgotten about that. "Huh, you're right. I'm pretty sure Dana won't mind then." If she did, well, Danielle could always find someone else.
A make a note to not cover for Doctor Morales anymore.
Danielle started on the lab orders. "I'll get through these files and then I'm logging out for the day and heading home." Early enough to stop by Vince's office to see if he wanted to get dinner.
Gigi hung up and Danielle quickly worked through the files. She logged out of the system and gathered her purse and attaché. Heading down to the parking garage, she sent a quick text to Vince. "Leaving work. Do you want to meet for dinner?"
Vince responded. "Hey, Dani. I'm just headed out to Leonard's Bistro with Dave Canneli. We've got a six o'clock reservation. Should be home before nine."
Dave Canneli. One of Vince's top clients. Meaning she couldn't invite herself along.
Danielle typed out a quick reply. "Okay, I'll stop and get some takeout. Love you." She bit back disappointment.
Vince shot a quick response. "Love you, too."
She vaguely remembered Vince mentioning he had a working dinner. She hadn't realized he meant tonight. Sliding behind the wheel of her vehicle, she started the engine and pulled out of the lot.
Looks like it's soup and salad from The Market Basket and a long, leisurely soak in the tub for me.
At least Vince wouldn't be late. She'd have a chance to talk about their day and let him know about the time off she planned.

I'm kind of excited about this story. I'm not completely sure where it's going and I love the process of discovery along the way.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment