Sunday, January 6, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Once in a Lifetime

Welcome 2019! I can honestly say it's been a weird week. The whole having the new year start on the second day of the week throws me off. Even more so than if it started on Wednesday. I have no idea why, but there it is. LOL

I started some new shows this past week. Caught the first episode of Blade and I'm looking forward to actually watching this show in the correct order. If CW Seed doesn't pull it. I didn't get to finish Birds of Prey and it irritates me.

Also watched part of the second episode of Roswell but I'll be switching to Netflix for this one or maybe another streaming service. DustX only has it available as a marathon and, frankly, it's too much of a giant pain to fast forward until I get to the episode I need.

Also watched another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold and Lexx before the end of last year. I'd forgotten the prison ship episode and end up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Caught the next to last episode of Strike Back season five. So thrilled to see familiar faces and experience the passing of the torch, so to speak. Looks like those familiar faces are in the last episode, too. I'm also super excited for the new season with Jamie Bamber taking over the CO. I can't wait!

I watched the last episode of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and truly wish there had been another season. I fell in love with the characters. I'm rather glad it didn't end on a massive cliffhanger, only hinting at what the characters might face in a new season.

Caught another episode of Luke Cage and loved having Danny turn up. Nice to have another mention of Claire too. I'm actually thrilled with Missy's arc and I'm kind of disappointed we won't see more of her development after this season ends.

Chicago Fire disappointed the hell out of me by having the stupid deputy commissioner back again. Not sure why the conflict irritates me, but it's the same thing that happened with Chicago PD. I think it's because it feels forced and not something that happened organically even though both antagonists were introduced well before they became the actual pains in the ass they are. Eh… whatever.

I watched the Passionflix holiday Quickie Caught Up In You; obviously after the actual holiday. Such a sweet little tale! More of these please!

Murdoch Mysteries had a terrific episode but I'm honestly still trying to figure out what the hell happened in the last one. LOL

Watched several episodes of Classic Who. I'm still on the web planet arc and it's kind of a fun run. Also started Doctor Who's "Demons of the Punjab" but still need to finish that one. Also can't wait to see the New Year's special.

Started season two of Penny Dreadful and, wow, Vanessa is a true magnet for all things evil, no? I'm very interested in Ethan's story and not so much in Frankenstein's. I'm honestly kind of pissed off with his actions lately.

Caught most of Wynonna Earp's second to last episode of the season. I had a sneaking suspicion Charlie would end up being something other than a cool new dude. And this show loves taking crazy twisty turns and Charlie's real identity is definitely a solid effing twist. LOL

Started a rewatch of Painkiller Jane but didn't have time to finish the first episode. I rather like this show when it originally aired and I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

That's it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Once in a Lifetime, a novella that started with a writing community prompt of creating a scene where one of the main characters hears the other calling their name during sex.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Evan McCoy overhears Sasha Knepf shout his name when she's in the throes of passion with another man. He confronts her the next day in the hotel suite and demands an explanation, which she's not inclined to provide since he ditched her after their second dance at the annual ball.

And a snippety peek…

Evan fiddled with his bowtie. "A caged monkey would have more freedom." He scanned the room and sucked in a breath.
Holy… shit…
Sasha entered and immediately did a full overview of the space. Evan would give her credit for staying in professional mode… if he didn't struggle to his tongue off the roof of his mouth. Beautiful didn't begin to describe Sasha in whatever the hell fabric hugged her luscious body. Her bare shoulders glistened under the chandelier, a dusting of glittery powder sparkling under the lights. The deep finish of the lilac gown contrasted with Sasha's dark hair. A dark band of violet purple wound around her waist, up between her breasts, and crisscrossed at her neck to form a halter. The material swirled around her feet. The sight of strappy, silver heels made his eyes go wide. Sasha in anything but standard issue black footwear? Color me impressed.
Her hair piled up on her head then fell in wild waves down to her shoulders. She crossed over to the bar and signaled for a club soda.
Evan shook his head. "I kind of like the ponytail she usually sports." But damn… what a woman.
He made his way over to her at the bar. "Wow." Seriously, he couldn't think of anything else to say.
Sasha gave him a sultry vixen smile. "What? Didn't think I could pull off wearing a dress?" A subtle shrug and a hair flip.
If he didn't know better, he'd swear she flirted.
He blinked and shoved the thought aside. "Sash, there are dresses and then there are dresses." He did a slow once-over of her. "That's a dress." And she looked amazing in it.
Sasha smirked. "Yeah, well, don't get too excited. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity." She leaned in closer to him. "I feel like a Vegas showgirl and it's so not my thing."
Evan cracked a smile. "You look better than a showgirl. You look amazing."
Sasha sent him a sideways glance. "Is that a compliment?" Her eyebrow arched and the ice in the glass tumbled when she brought it up to her lips.
Evan nodded. "It is." He didn't say more because, well, his brain didn't quite know how to deal with this version of Sasha.
Her lips curved in another smirk. "Well, then. Thank you." She drained the glass and glanced out to the crowd on the dance floor.
Evan's manners kicked in. "Uh, since we're supposed to mingle and stay close to the commissioner… would you like to…" His voice trailed off and he nodded toward the swirling couples.
Could he have made that any more awkward? His arms itched to wrap around her and he didn't know what to do with the response. He almost took the safe route, suggesting they walk the perimeter instead.
Sasha tilted her head to one side and studied him a moment. "Are you asking me to dance?" She looked around. "No date for the night?"
He shook his head. "Um, no. Flying solo this evening." He held out his elbow.
Sasha's fingers gripped his bicep. "Then lead the way, Evan." She squeezed his arm. "Fair warning. I'm murder on the dance floor."
He didn't get a chance to ask what the hell that meant because she turned to face him and his arms went around her, hauling her close. Everything else, with the exception of keeping one eye on the commissioner, crashed and burned in his brain.
Didn't take long to figure out Sasha had some serious skill with dancing, even in killer heels.

I have to say I have so much fun writing Evan and Sasha. They're not exactly keen on sharing their feelings, which makes them finding their way to each other a treat.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment