Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunday Snippet: Past All Limits

Brrrr. The past week ended up being a wild ride of crappy weather and really cold temperatures. Of course, we're warming up for a few days then back to the icy tundra again. I predict lots of colds and other nasty viral illnesses in the near future. Bleh.

It was a good week to stay in and watch television. I finished a 77 Sunset Strip marathon binge watch. I love the classic show, even the last season that only had Bailey as the detective. Completely different tone but good episodes.

Caught another episode of Pensacola Wings of Gold. Kind of fun to have them in a different location. Also watched an episode of Lexx. This is one I didn't remember seeing the first time around. Nice to have something unexpected.

Started the fifth season of Endeavor. I love this show. I'm kind of looking forward to maybe doing an entire start-to-finish watch of Inspector Frost once the Endeavor series concludes. I can follow it up with Lewis. Started episode two of season fourteen of Midsomer Murders. I'm quite enjoying the new Barnaby and somewhat different tone of the show.

Finally got to watch the fifth season premiere of Gotham. The app on my streaming device was being contrary and kept stopping before the opening credits even rolled. Played the stupid ads though. Loved the opening episode. Between this show and Riverdale, the batshit crazy can't be topped. Just saying.

I caught some more Classic Who, finishing up the space museum episodes and starting on the next Dalek arc. Also binge watched a day of Mod Squad.

That's it for television. A little lighter than I originally thought. Tonight's post is from Past All Limits, a novella that started as an exercise in how to bring a couple back together after a bad breakup.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Scarlett Jayne and Dare Humphries have issues. Scarlett can't commit and Dare won't wait around. After a nasty breakup, the former couple is thrown together for a groundbreaking at a new training facility. Six months isn't quite enough time for them to be sharing space.

And a snippety peek…

Scarlett exited the locker room, hoisting her bag over her shoulder. "Why the hell didn't you tell me you worked for Dare Humphries?" God, could she have picked a worse get-back-on-the-horse hookup?
Lance pinned her with a confused look. "You know him? I had no idea." He paced back and forth, no doubt worrying about his employment.
Scarlett set her bag on the floor. "He's my ex. So… yeah, I know him."
Geez, how did she miss Dare's involvement in the gym? Speaking of kissing jobs good-bye. Hers might as well be toast. No way would Dare let her train with her group of battered women. Not here.
Lance put a hand to his forehead. "This is fucked up." He stopped mid-stride. "Tell me you didn't do this on purpose." The accusation in his tone rang off the walls.
Scarlett sighed. "I didn't, Lance. Hell, I didn't know he was one of the backers. You've only mentioned Bart." Connolly. A guy Scarlett had a long history with… just not the couple kind.
She blew out a long breath. "Bart and I go way back and he won't have a problem with you giving me some time and space here." Not like she wanted it for free; her grant gave her enough to pay her way. "But Dare… ugh… he's gonna be a problem." So much for getting her group into a safe facility where they could learn self-defense.
Lance turned to face her. "Look, you signed a contract and paid in advance. Bart will support your project, which means Dare won't have much to say about whether you use this space or not." He paused a moment then huffed out a sigh. "But you and me? Yeah, that's one and done." He held her gaze with decisiveness.
Scarlett nodded. "Understandable." Not like she wanted a long-term relationship with him. "Think we knew that going in, didn't we?" When he lifted a shoulder, she added an apology. "I'm sorry I put you in such a shitty position." Not that she meant to, but still…
Her crazy need to finally get back out in the world hit at the worst possible time.
But Dare wouldn't go back on his word. As long as Lance kept his distance from her and didn't bang anyone else after hours, his job would be safe. She'd take full blame for talking him into having sex at the gym.
Lance smirked. "Yeah, well, not the first time my dick ruled my brain." His lips quirked. "First time I ever got caught with my pants down though." He shook his head.
She snorted. "Wish I could make that claim." Dare happened to be her partner in action when they got busted in a compromising position.
Lance's eyes went wide. "Damn… you're kinda wild, aren't you?"
She shrugged. "Sometimes my idea of fun is a little out there." With the things she witnessed and heard all day, would anyone blame her for creating her own brand of normal?
Lance went serious. "Look, I'll have to ask you—"
She cut him off. "You really don't have to. From this moment on, I'll behave around here. The startup of my project means too much to me to screw it up." She waited a beat. "And I'm hoping this…" Hesitating to label their tryst a mistake, she switched gears a little. "I'd like to be friends, if nothing else." Considering how often she'd be using No Limits, being at odds with Lance would suck.
Especially if Scarlett had to deal with Dare on any kind of regular basis.
Lance flashed a quick smile. "I'd like that a lot. But we'd better get you out of here if we want to make that happen." He grabbed her bag and started toward the main lobby.
Scarlett followed, oddly unnerved by the whole situation. Seriously, what were the odds she'd pick a facility co-owned by Dare Humphries and what did it mean in the big picture?
Better yet… what the hell would she do about it?

I like writing Scarlett's slow fall to the inevitable truth of who she belongs with. Dare, of course. Getting her there is so much fun to write.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!


Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment