Sunday, June 14, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Dodging Bullets

So far, June is shaping up to be a weird month. Work has slowed way down, which isn't an all bad thing. I've been very fortunate to have a steady flow when so many others have been furloughed or, worse, completely lost their job. That said, it's weird to have time on my hands so I'm hitting projects I've been putting off for ages. It's kind of wonderful and scary all at the same time.

Hit or miss week with television viewing. I haven't been watching as much as I normally do, mainly because I've been doing a good bit of writing. I did catch another episode of Danger Man. Almost finished with the second season.

I caught the penultimate episode of Arrow. Green Arrow and the Canaries ended up being more entertaining than I thought it would be. I'd watch the new version if it comes around.

Also started another episode of Riverdale. I'll be honest, I'm probably done after this season. Alice came such a long way and now she's back to being her obnoxiously overbearing self. I had so hoped she'd maintain her character growth. Bleh.

That's pretty much it for this week. Tonight's post is from Dodging Bullets, a novella that's coming along with main characters that have a long history.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Sable and Gage live on the same street and survive their childhood by having each other's backs. When they grow up, they're still looking out for each other, but instead of ducking verbal barbs and flying objects, they're dodging bullets instead.

And a snippety peek…

Sable couldn't believe Gage followed her. When Betty found out, she'd go batshit on Gage's ass. Then blame Sable.
Again.
She grabbed another box of T-shirts. "Your mom is gonna flip her shit when she finds out you followed me." She dumped the box and shoved half over toward Gage.
He shrugged. "She's been in full-on bitch mode for months now. This isn't going to make her any worse." He sorted through the shirts, lining them up in a pile. "I wish I knew why she spiraled all the time." Deftly, he folded the tee in front of him.
Sable had a solid idea why Betty Waterson hated her life. But … what would telling Gage accomplish? At fifteen, would he want to know intimate details about his mother's life before Prescott?
Knowing why his mom hated Sable could help him understand. Or … it could cost Sable the one person—aside from Bernie and Prescott—who helped keep her sane. Her gut said Gage wouldn't walk away … and she hoped he wouldn't.
Pausing mid-fold, she angled around, resting her butt on the workspace. "You might want to cut your mom a break." It almost pained her to say those words.
Gage stopped, his gaze flying to hers. "Why the hell would you want me to?" He grabbed a stool and sat upon it.
Sable shrugged. "My grandma filled me in on some things last night. You know my dad wrote most the The Bangers songs, right?" Ivan had a gift with words.
Gage folded his arms across his chest. "Yeah, so?" His eyes narrowed but he didn't say more.
Sable absently flicked specks of imaginary lint off the cotton fabric. "Their very first hit, the one that put them on the road to stardom, was 'Elizabeth is Calling'." She swallowed hard, kind of wishing she hadn't started the conversation. "Know who he wrote that one for?" Gradually, she raised her gaze to meet his.
His face showed confusion first, then a dawning realization, then disbelief.
He shook his head. "No effing way. You're saying my mom is the Elizabeth in the song?" He got up, pacing with agitated steps.
Sable nodded. "According to my grandma, my dad and your mom were a hot item back in the day. They broke up when Betty went to school because my dad put everything he had into the band and getting them a record deal and setting up live shows. He wrote the song as wish fulfillment or something like that." She paused, because her brain still struggled to imagine her dad with Gage's mom.
Gage stopped walking. "What does this have to do with anything?" He went back to striding back and forth.
Sable sighed. "Apparently, when the song hit big, your mom came home on break hoping to pick back up with my dad." She stopped again, hating the next part.
Gage huffed out a breath. "Sable, you can't not tell me the rest." He sat down again, bracing his hands on the edge of the stool.
She blew out a long breath. "She came home too late. Because the week before, my dad met Bianca and ended up marrying her and taking her on tour with the band." The one and only time Ivan got drunk, according to Grandma Zelma. "And that's why your mom hates—hated—my dad. And my mom."
Gage shook his head. "And, what? That gives her a pass to hate you too. Why should I cut her a break for that?"
Sable's eyes filled. "Because she's your mom and even though Bianca sucked at being a parent, she's never coming back and I wouldn't wish that on anyone." The tears overflowed and she dashed them away.
Gage came up off the stool and hauled her against him. "Dammit, Sable. I'm sorry for making you cry. But it's not fair. The way she treats you." He eased away, gently cupping her chin. "I'll try to be more understanding, though. Even when I want to smash things when she's yelling at my dad and us all the time."
Sable gave him a small smile. "Thanks. Trying is good." She held his gaze, tingles of awareness running through her.
A first for her. She hugged Gage and Garth all the time, but not like this … being held, comforted, and … cared for by Gage seemed so different.
The moment stretched out and the air in the room shifted. Gage's eyes turned darker and his grip tightened on her chin. His head drifted toward hers and Sable's breath hitched in her throat…
Garth burst into the room. "Gage, bro, you gotta get home. Mom's ready to call the entire precinct in to find you." He stopped short. "What's going on? Why're you all up close and personal with Sable?" He cocked his head to one side. "And why's she crying?"
Gage rolled his eyes. "Why do you think, dumbass?" His gaze met hers, a silent communication passing between them. "She's still a little sad about her parents." Pulling away, he squeezed her hands. "I'd better go, but I'll see you later." His tone held a wealth of promise.
Sable nodded again, unable to form words. She moved aside, letting Gage pass by her, and stood alone in the room when he left with Garth.
Her fingers brushed over her chin where Gage's had been. If Garth hadn't interrupted when he did, I would've had my first kiss. And she wouldn't have minded one little bit.

I love this story and how it's coming together. Gage and Sable are fun characters and the family drama is a treat to write.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment