Sunday, June 21, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Down the Middle


June 21, 2020

I can't believe there's only one more week and a few days of June left. This year seems to be flying by so fast—even with a pandemic and social distancing.

Slow week of television again but a good one for client phone calls. I have a couple if potentially interesting new projects to be excited about.

I did finish up Danger Man with the last few episodes of season two. I'll be starting the color episodes this week along with the new title of Secret Agent. Should be fun.

I also got through the Riverdale episode I started last week and, surprisingly, it got better. I kind of understand where Alice came from but it still annoys me to no end. Veronica's savage takedown of Hiram made my week. I also ended up really enjoying the Cheryl session with the guidance counselor—whoever tagged Gina Torres for that role deserves a raise. I'm very intrigued by the cutaway end scenes. If not for my absolute complete and utter loathing of Hiram, I would be so set to keep watching this show. As it is, I literally hate that character so much, I'll probably only skim through the season.

I caught another episode of Roswell, New Mexico and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Alex and Michael working as a team without the usual UST between them. Having them become actual friends is a great thing and I'm totally there to watch that happen. Loved having the former Max back as a Mains ancestor. Here's hoping he'll be available for more flashback scenes. I like where Isabel is headed and love what she did for Arturo and Liz. Also loved, loved, loved Kyle's scenes with his mom. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the dean's daughter storyline, but I'm down with whatever happens. I kind of have a tiny hope Kyle ends up hooking up with Cameron at some point … but that's only if Jessie doesn't have her abducted. I totally don't believe he's been shackled by anyone or anything. In fact, I'd lay odds he's the actual private security firm's leader. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Last but not least, I watched another episode of Peak Practice. I've been staying with the chronological order for now and I'm working my way through the second season. Should have it finished up within the month. I hope.

And that's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Down the Middle, a novella that's coming along with my bounty hunters finally figuring things out.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Bounty hunter Ursa Goode always gets her man … if Jake Weatherwax doesn't beat her to him. But when a target escapes and comes after her, Ursa has to take Jake up on his offer to work together and split the reward right down the middle. The need for a partner rubs her wrong, but Jake definitely doesn't.

And a snippety peek…

Ursa entered the illegal club and scanned the entry and exit points. "Two ways in and out." And probably a hidden egress or two in case the cops came calling.
She'd burned half a dozen favors getting intelligence on Llewellyn. Didn't matter. She'd call in whatever marks she had left then beg, borrow, or blackmail if those ran out.
The thumping bass line of the dance music fueled her adrenaline. Her instincts indicated her informants had done her a solid. This place represented a smorgasbord for someone like Cavil. He'd be frothing to get his hands on something young, comely, and eager for a little danger in their life. Male, female, nonbinary, gay, straight … Cavil didn't care what label the package wrapped itself in; he sought someone pliable and willing to walk a wild edge.
She made a vow. "Not tonight, asshole." She wanted to put him down this time.
Making her way through the throng of bodies crowding the makeshift club, she finally elbowed her way to the bar. The location afforded her a view of everything; the dance floor, the rafters, the DJ booth, and the exits. Only the facilities were out of her sight.
She pointed to a bottle of vodka and lifted her chin. The bartender pulled it down and poured her a shot, sliding the glass in front of her. She downed the liquid and relished the burn it made down her throat.
When she flashed a ten, the bartender shook his head. "First one's on the house. And when I get a looker like you, the tab's open." He waggled his eyebrows.
Ursa rolled her eyes, but stayed friendly. "Just the one. I'm waiting for someone." He didn't need to know she didn't want a hookup.
And who knew … if she took care of business, she might end up needing a hard, hot body to celebrate with. The bartender definitely fit the bill. Built but not jacked up, he'd be worth pursuing if she didn't have other plans.
He gave her a slow once-over. "Let me know if you change your mind." His graceful acceptance put him up another notch in her book.
She winked. "Will do." She turned and propped her elbows on the bar behind her and scanned the crowd.
So much movement between the bodies writhing on the floor to the spectators either watching or scoring their own brand of entertainment. Ursa glanced up to the rafters, clocking more than a few groups conducting shady deals. Probably a hefty payday up there if she were inclined to check. She only wanted one cash out tonight.
Cavil. Her gut said he hadn't arrived yet. She'd wait … not so patiently.
Two hours later, the hairs on the back of her neck rose and her waiting game ended. She caught sight of Llewellyn when he slid in from the back door. He hadn't changed all that much. A little heavier and with longer hair, he still had close-set, hooded eyes. Why would that change? His eyes were something she'd never forget. And the fact she'd have to look into them again kicked her rage up into the red zone.
She pushed away from the counter and followed Llewellyn but kept a good distance between them. If his tactics held true, the bastard would pick someone in the first ten minutes of his arrival then stalk his prey until close to closing. For an illegal place like this, dawn would be breaking before the DJ played the last song.
Ursa shook her head. "Gonna be a long night." But she'd watch and wait.

I'm pleased with how this story is finally coming together. After a long brainstorming session, I've got the flow nailed down and the action figured out.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment