Sunday, September 13, 2020

Sunday Snippet: Getting Schooled


So far, September is off to a decent start. I finished up a few projects this week and look forward to getting back to the great office reorganization.

Kind of a slow week for television. I watched two episodes of Silent Witness. I don't think I've ever seen the first few seasons with Amanda Burton as Sam Ryan. I started watching somewhere in the later seasons.

I also did the usual Ovation mystery marathons. Rather enjoyed Midsomer Murders because they went all the way back to the beginning. Also left wondering why anyone considers The Librarians a mystery show, but I guess it's because they always have to track down the treasures for the library. Not really mysterious in my book, but it doesn't have to be.

I'm hoping to get back on track with finishing up the previous seasons of Roswell, New Mexico and Riverdale. Also need to watch the season finale of The Witcher and the series finale of Strike Back. I've been putting off Strike Back because I really don't want the show to end.

I need to catch up on Wynonna Earp also. I'll probably end up binge watching the whole season.

That's pretty much it for television. Tonight's post is from Getting Schooled, a novella that features one of my favorite secret-fantasy dreams … a summer camp.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tamsin and Ike are resident leaders at neighboring summer camps. Tamsin works with upper crust girls and Ike has underprivileged boys. When a grant program director suggests bridging the gap, neither is very excited by the prospect, but once they meet, both get schooled in by how well the kids get along.

And a snippety peek…

Tamsin barely got inside the counselor's cabin before Olivia Winterson rushed through the door.
"Oh, Tamsin. I'm so glad you're here! We've got a huge emergency." Her face crumpled and tears welled in her eyes.
Tamsin dropped her bag and grasped Olivia's arm, ushering her onto the café chair. "What's going on? Is Pete okay?" Olivia's husband had a mild heart attack three years ago.
Olivia waved her hand. "Oh, yes. Pete's fine. The camp? Not so much." Her lower lip quivered.
Tamsin blinked and sat in the seat across from her boss. "What is it? What can I do to help?" This place meant a lot to Tamsin
The Wintersons meant even more.
Olivia exhaled slowly and pulled herself together. "I just got off the phone with the grant committee. They're experiencing a financial shortfall and have decided to only support one camp this year." She frowned. "And, honestly, if we lose grant funding, we'll have to close. We won't be able to have this year's session or stay in business for future years."
No more Camp Seneca? Tamsin couldn't imagine not coming here anymore. This place had been her home, her true home, for more than a decade.
Tamsin shook her head, her brain already working. "When will they decide?" There had to be a way to secure the grant.
Olivia gave Tamsin a sad smile. "They want to meet tomorrow to decide if it'll be us or Camp Carlson."
Tamsin's lip curled. "Let me guess … they're in the same position." The Wintersons and Ron Carlson, along with his son and daughter, were friendly rivals.
Olivia nodded. "I haven't talked to Ron or Lanie yet, but I'd have to guess they are."
Summer camps in this area tended to run on razor-thin margins. Even though both were surrounded by the second-home set.
Tamsin grasped Olivia's hand. "What can I do to help? You can't cancel this year's program. The girls are due to arrive the day after tomorrow." They could scale back some of the activities and get creative with the menus, maybe ask for donations if the grant committee decided on Carlson instead of Seneca.
Olivia's face brightened. "I had hoped you'd ask. Can you come up with a presentation for tomorrow's meeting? Something to really wow the group?"
Tamsin cringed a little. She'd planned to get started on her research before the girls arrived. But she couldn't refuse Olivia's request.
Squeezing the woman's fingers, Tamsin smiled. "Of course. Let me get the rest of my stuff unloaded and I'll get started." She stood up and started for the door.
Olivia followed, pulling Tamsin into a big bear hug. "Thank you! This means so much to Pete and me." She started toward the big lodge-style house. "I'll let him know what's going on."
Tamsin fought back a wave of uncertainty. She couldn't fail the Wintersons. No matter what, she'd make sure the grant committee chose Camp Seneca for their remaining funds.
An inspired idea hit her. "And I think I know just how to do it."

Tamsin is a fun character to write. She cares deeply and wants to help everyone.



That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment