Sunday, January 10, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Killing Time

Well, it's definitely been an interesting beginning to the new year. At this point, I'm coasting through and taking happy moments when I can. Blogging is a happy moment for me.

Had a couple of work projects I needed to finish up and started a new one. I didn't have a lot of time for television but I did get a few things watched.

I watched a little more of Gabriel's Inferno and hope to finish it up sometime this week.

Also watched the next two installments of Queens of Mystery. I finished the second part of the first episode and started the first part of the second installment. I rather like this show.

Other than that, I watched most of an episode of Blue Heelers and caught my usual mysteries on Ovation. I'm a little bummed they've changed their line-up, but that always happens. I get used to and love having my shows on at a certain time and the network has to change things up. Ah, well.

Tonight's post is from Killing Time, a sexy short where the characters have a fun time on a stakeout.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Landry comes up with a great idea to kill time while on a stakeout with her hot co-worker. Her biggest challenge? Getting Thryn to participate in a lively game of truth or strip.

And a snippety peek…

As soon as Thryn entered the van, Landry grabbed the stack of always available food menus. "Okay, first things first." She fanned the takeout pamphlets. "Ice-breaker."

Thryn quirked a brow. "Do we need one?" He set his go-bag on the deck.

Landry chuckled. "Probably not but I think you can tell a lot about a person by their choice of restaurant." She waved a hand over the display.

Thryn considered her words for a moment. "Okay, I'll play." He perused the brochures. "Do you have any favorites?" He glanced up to catch her response.

She nodded. "I do, yes. Better question would be do I not have any." She generally loved food.

He laughed. "Good point. What don't you like?" He held out the pamphlets.

She pulled the Taco Hut and La Bamba Grill from the stack. "Love the food, but not when I'm closed inside a confined space for twelve hours." Thanks, Brad.

He grimaced. "Understood. Anything else?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I'm easy to please." At least with food ... everything else, well, her taste tended to be more discerning.

And, so far, Thryn ranked in the upper echelon of decent partners to be paired with.

Thumbing through the others, he snagged a flyer for a noodle shop. "The Emporium?" His eyebrow arched with the question.

She flashed a smile. "Best in town." He set it aside and withdrew another. "Magoo's Diner." He didn't make this one a question.

He didn't need to. Pretty much everyone loved the retro vibe and excellent food.

She moaned. "Oh, yeah. Absolutely." Nudging things along, she asked. "Coffee?" She had two she liked.

Thryn didn't even look through the menus. "Jumping Joe. Best java anywhere. And they have terrific soup if you need lunch on the go."

She completely agreed. "And their scones are to die for." Especially the seasonal ones.

Thryn nodded. "Can't disagree." He slapped one last menu on the counter. "The best for a sit-down dinner." His finger tapped the name of the restaurant.

Landry took a glance and grinned. "Oh, yeah. Salvo's is incredible." She gave a nod. "You and I ... are gonna get along just fine." Hell, he had Brad and Dane beat on food alone.

Thryn's lips curved. "Glad I passed the test." He gathered up the scattered menus and stuffed them back in the drawer.

She chuckled. "Not really a test thing, more a wish I'd thought of it before being paired with Mason and Hamilton." She sobered. "I'm not picky—for the most part—but experience, well, I tend to learn from previous ones." She stopped there, unwilling to throw fellow operatives under the bus.

Thryn kept his features schooled. "I've had the dubious distinction of working surveillance with both. Enough said." He turned to adjust the monitor and check the recording devices.

Had they just bonded over shared less than stellar work assignments? Maybe. Maybe not. But she'd claim kinship with anyone who could convey without words the craptastically not fun time of what working with Mason and Hamilton could be.

A flash went off on the monitor and the recording device kicked on. Landry snagged a keyboard and started typing while Thryn worked the camera to follow any action.

Time to get to work.

This is a fun little dive into the romance with a coworker trope. I love the vibe this couple has.


 

That's if for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment