Sunday, January 31, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Liar's Lament

With January coming to a close, the first month of the year is in the books. Oddly, I have a good feeling about 2021. I hope I'm right and the year is terrific for everyone.

Ended up with a full slate of work projects this week and I welcomed them with open arms. But they kept me pretty busy so I didn't get a lot of television watched.

I did finish up the second part of the racing episode of Silent Witness. Ended up being very twisty and turny.

I caught a full arc of Classic Who and I'm about halfway through the thirteenth series. I think I like the previous season better than this one so far.

Started a new Queens of Mystery episode and I'm still enjoying this series. I hope they end up doing another one. It's a lot of fun.

As always, I caught the usual mysteries on Ovation and some additional classic episodes of Perry Mason.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Liar's Lament, a novella that explores two characters who reunite after five years when one decides to face their demons.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Harper Scrytch kicks Rhett Barrison to the curb and runs like hell to avoid a romantic entanglement. Four years later she arrives back in town to make amends only to discover Rhett has moved on … unless he hasn't.

And a snippety peek…

Sarah Barrison picked up the plates and carried them to the sink. "Why don't you bring that nice girl you've been dating next time?" She kept her tone casual.

But Rhett saw right through his mother. She did this at least once a month during their one-on-one dinners when his dad had rotary club. She liked to fuss, especially since he remained the lone unattached sibling.

He snorted. "Nice try, Mom. I told you Dani and I work better as friends." He'd tried but the long-term idea didn't last long.

The sexual spark hadn't really dimmed though. They had a nice friends-with-benefits thing going, which suited them just fine. Not that he'd share that information with his mom.

Sarah came back to the table. "You've said that about everyone since"—she lowered her voice—"she who won't be named." Her delivery bordered on dramatic.

Rhett rolled his eyes. "Only by you. And it was four years ago. I think the statute of limitations has been met." Or should have been anyway.

Sarah frowned. "Not if you can't move on." She sat back and crossed her arms over her chest.

Rhett sighed. "Mom, I'm fine. I'm not in big hurry to settle down. Why are you in such a rush?" He had siblings who had perfectly wonderful relationships.

Sarah gave a motherly sniff. "I want my boy happy." She slid him a teasing glance. "And more grandkids wouldn't hurt." Her eyebrows waggled.

Ah, he should have known. "You mean seven isn't enough?"

His two sisters had three rugrats apiece. And his brother and his partner Mark had one. Why did Rhett have to contribute?

Sarah gave a small shrug. "Of course, it is. And your brother is thinking about another one. It depends on whether Mark gets the promotion at the hardware store." She put her hand on his forearm. "You deserve what your dad and I have. What your siblings have found. That's all." Giving his arm a squeeze, she got up and went to the sink to rinse the dishes.

Rhett thought he had found the forever kind of love—with Harper. She'd checked off every one of the traits he wanted in the person he'd spend his life with. But he didn't check hers. Obviously.

His mom meant well, but until he found someone that made him feel what Harper had, Rhett wouldn't settle. And he wouldn't rush anything. Not even to please Sarah Barrison.

He pushed away from the table and helped load the dishwasher. "I'll let you know as some as I discover the right one, Mom." Closing the washer, he gave Sarah a one-armed hug. "And I'll make sure to bring her by when it happens." He reached for his jacket hanging on the peg rack beside the back door.

Sarah wiped her hands. "Until then, I need to stop bugging you, right?" Her eyebrow quirked upward with humor.

Rhett gave her quick grin. "Yeah, something like that." He lifted his hand then opened the door. "Love you, Mom."

She repeated the sentiment and let him take his leave. One outside, Rhett fished out his phone and called Dani for a hookup.

This one went is directions I didn't expect and I love when that happens.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment