Sunday, May 2, 2021

Sunday Snippet: On the Bench

Hello, May! I'll be honest, I had a momentary freak out when I realized we're a month away from being halfway done with the year. It's so weird how time seems to fly by so fast but it also drags on for what seems like decades. Geez.

Had an okay week of television. I started a new to me show The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which I enjoyed. It's pretty creepy and I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

Watched the penultimate episode of Picard. It went in a direction I didn't expect and I'm not quite sure how I feel about where things are at the moment. I'm looking forward to the finale.

Caught another Passionflix holiday Quickie. Sexy Scrooge ended up being pretty good. I liked the couple's chemistry and the Uber driver was fun.

Started another new episode of Blue Heelers. I'm almost finished with this one and I'm interested to see where things go. They're starting something of a serialized continuation and I'm down with that.

Watched Chicago Med and enjoyed it. I'm four episodes in and I'm getting a better feel for who the cast is. It's helpful to have some experience with the Chicago crossovers.

Caught another episode of No Offence. Things are moving along at a good clip and I'm pretty interested in seeing where the new boss lands where Viv is concerned. I kind of love the feud between Nora and Viv.

Started the first part of Silent Witness. This one is very twisty and I can't wait to see if I'm right about who the killers are.

Watched another arc of Classic Who. I'm kind of amazed at how a show from thirty years ago manages to kind of hit on things that are happening right now.

Ended up getting in another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. This one featured segments on death-bed confessions from government officials and military people.

Also managed to finish the first season of The Muppet Show and I'm getting ready to start the second. First guest star is Don Knotts, which should make for a fun show.

That's it for the weekly update. Tonight's post is from On the Bench, a novella where some questionable choices come back to haunt one of the main characters.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Peyton Bice comes of age around the mixed maritial arts sporting events and her past comes calling in the form of her father's former star fighter, now a leading trainer. Rookie Cliff Westfordson offers a shoulder to lean on, but Peyton fears getting tangled up with the newest recruit on her dad's roster.

And a snippety peek…

Peyton tilted her head sideways, a myriad of emotions crossing her face. "Can you do something for me … right now." She held out her hand.

He grasped her palm. "Sure, what?" He sat up and she slid off his lap.

She met his gaze. "Hold me? Just for a few minutes." Her face crumpled and her eyes watered.

He hauled her close. "Absolutely. As long as you need." He wrapped his arm around her.

She buried her head in his chest, her shoulders shaking. Cliff figured she needed the outlet and whispered soothing words. Delayed reaction had her taking deep, shuddering sobs that gradually changed to soft sniffles, her breath hitching occasionally.

Being responsible for the hospitalization of an opponent took a toll even if he couldn't shake the idea Peyton hadn't been the one to do the most damage. They participated in a dangerous sport and no one but the trainers knew how many injuries the fighters carried into the ring. But if the trainers were the ones causing harm…

Yeah, better put that thought aside for now.

He grew quiet when Peyton finally relaxed in his arms. He had no idea how long he held her, but when her head lolled to the side, he shifted his position, lifting her up and carrying her out of the gym. He didn't give one damn if anyone saw them, but he stayed to the darker side of the corridor when he made his way to her dad's office. Using a quick twist, he got the door opened and nudged it shut then settled down on the couch, the leather creaking under their weight. Settling Peyton on his lap, she burrowed into him and heaved a quiet sigh. He grabbed the woven throw from the back and draped it over her.

She might have asked for a few minutes, but he intended to stay until she woke up. If that took the rest of the night, he'd be just fine with that.

Peyton definitely dodged a bullet when she walked away from a previous relationship so she's taking a big step by trusting Cliff here, but her heart knows what her mind doesn't.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment