Sunday, June 6, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Past All Limits

Well, hello, June. It's mind-boggling to think half the year is pretty much gone. I'm rather glad summer is just around the corner even though I'm not a huge fan of super-hot temperatures.

I've been in a weird place lately and pondering whether there's something else on my horizon. Lots of ideas are jostling in my brain. Stay tuned … I might have more to come on this topic.

Decent week of television this week. I started out with three episodes of The Muppet Show. Judy Collins, Nancy Walker, and Edger Bergen were the guest stars. Each episode ended up being pretty fun.

Caught another episode of The Hardy Boys. I'm enjoying the mystery and I really like the sibling interaction. It'll be interesting to see how deeply the grandmother is involved.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice. The show took turn I didn't expect, which I always enjoy.

Enjoyed another Master Class with David Carson. The fifth lesson focused on putting yourself into your work. I came away with some great ideas.

Caught another episode of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Once again, I ended up surprised by Zelda. Still not a huge fan, but I think I'll end up liking her character arc.

Watched the third installment of The Ready Room. Michelle Hurd is such a cool actor. I've enjoyed her in almost everything she's participated in.

Caught another Passionflix Quickie. Hooked ended up being a lot of fun. I loved having an older couple as the main characters.

Ended up watching a full two-parter of Silent Witness. Really liked the storylines and their outcomes even though both weren't optimal.

Started a new episode of Blue Heelers. This one features a biker club and, so far, it's pretty decent.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med and liked the storylines. The reunion theme fit most of the scenes. The one confusing bit with the super-great surgeon maybe planted some seeds for future episodes. Not sure about that one.

Watched another episode of No Offence. I'm thoroughly enjoying the third series. Dinah and Viv are formidable and I love how Spike kind of slides in wherever he's needed. Good stuff.

Started a new arc of Classic Who. The second part of the key search isn't quite as interesting as the first, but I love K-9's interactions with everyone.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Past All Limits, a novella where my main characters have some issues to work out.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Scarlett Jayne and Dare Humphries have issues. Scarlett can't commit and Dare won't wait around. After a nasty breakup, the former couple is thrown together for a ribbon-cutting at a new training facility. Six months isn't quite enough time for them to be sharing space.

And a snippety peek…

Lance entered Dare's office in the gym. "Dare, look, about last night…"

Dare held up a hand. "Don't. I know Scarlett. It's a typical stunt she'd pull, but from now on, the locker room is off limits for hooking up." He didn't want the jealousy rolling in his gut, but it bubbled and churned anyway.

Lance shook his head. "Not a problem. We're not a thing and we won't be. For the record, I had no idea she's your ex and she had no clue you were backing the venue." He paced back and forth. "But, in the interest of full disclosure, there's another potential snag because she signed a contract and paid in full up front."

Dare closed his eyes. "Dammit, Bart." He exhaled a long, slow breath then met Lance's gaze. "Thanks for letting me know."

Lance nodded. "I'm sorry, Dare. I don't want to pry or get in the middle of any bad blood between you and Scarlett. We literally met when she left Bart's office. We had coffee. Met for dinner last night and, well, you know the rest." He paused and stopped before the desk. "I didn't go in thinking we'd be starting a relationship because she basically told me she's not looking for long-term right now—"

Dare cut him off with a snort. "Yeah, Scarlett doesn't do commitment."

Lance frowned. "She doesn't do anyone. I mean, she said I'm the first guy since … aw, fuck. Since you two broke up. Geez. I didn't put that together until right now." He raked a hand through his hair. "Shit, man. I'm sorry."

Dare's brain spun, trying to process everything. "Yeah, let's move on. Not trying to be a dick when I say that either. Scarlett and I are over. It's awkward and that can be the end of the discussion." He shrugged. "Not my business who she sleeps with—unless it happens here and I'd rather not have to deal with that scenario again." Except with Scarlett … that could happen.

Shit.

His gut churned again.

Lance held up both hands. "Understood." He motioned between them. "You and I okay? Because this is my dream job and if I've fucked it up, tell me now so I can go weep over my lost opportunity."

Dare's lips twitched. "We're good, man." He rose and waved Lance off. "Go on. I've got a meeting with Bart in five minutes. I'll catch you later for a sparring session if you're available."

Lance's head bobbed up and down. "I will be. Come find me." He turned and exited the office.

Dare heaved a sigh. "Signing a contract with fucking Scarlett. What the hell is Bart thinking?"

And why the hell does it bother me so much?

I love writing couples that clearly belong together but have to get out of their own way to make that happen.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment