Sunday, July 11, 2021

Sunday Snippet: Quit the Music

It's been a busy week with medical emergencies—not mine, thankfully—and vacationer pickups. Also had a few work projects to get worked in.

Had a great week for television. Started out by finishing up the sixteenth season of Classic Who and I got a start on season seventeen. Interesting choice to have Romana regenerate as the princess of the final arc. We'll see how that plays out.

Watched another episode of UFOs: The Lost Evidence. The focus was on the Royal Air Force and I enjoyed the episode. I also started the next one which feature sacred sites and UFOs.

Caught two more episodes of The Muppet Show. Lou Rawls and Cleo Laine were the guest stars. Had a great conversation with my brother about watching this show while we were growing up.

Enjoyed another episode of The Hardy Boys. The jury is still out on whether the grandma is a good force or a not-so-good one. I'm really excited to watch the next episode with the secret room.

Watched another episode of Peak Practice and, yep, a tragedy occurred. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing the last of Beth and Jack, which is actually what I expected. I'll look forward to their sendoff.

Caught another Master Class with David Carson. This one talked about working with clients and I got some solid information from the session. I might not work full-time with graphic design, but I do work with clients on a regular basis and the lesson had some good strategies for meeting expectations that can apply universally.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina had an interesting episode. I'm still not a Wardwell fan and even less so after this episode. I'm kind of excited to see what Cerebus is going to bring to the story and Zelda made a bold choice I didn't quite expect.

Watched the penultimate episode of Street Legal. I have to give Steven Lund kudos. I loved his journey in this episode. Olivia overstepped in a way I didn't quite believe. I hope there's a bit of an explanation in the final episode of season one.

Enjoyed another Ready Room recap. I'm having a lot of fun with guest stars who were previous cast members. I might not be able to say the same with season two. I'm not a Q fan in the slightest. Here's hoping the writing makes me change my mind.

Finished up another episode of Blue Heelers and enjoyed it. I also caught another episode and started a new one. I'm creeping up on the halfway point of season three.

Caught an episode of Chicago Med. Again, I really enjoyed the multiple threads. Will's arc impressed me. I loved the opening scene with Rhodes and Will working together and getting along, mainly because of the reactions of the rest of the team.

Watched another episode of Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries. Bertie cracks me up. I love Samuel and Violetta. I'm hurting for Peregrine and James but I can't wait to see more and how they work things out. I miss Fleur and I'm kind of hoping we'll see more characters of the Adventuress Club. So far, season two is making me very happy.

Enjoyed the first part of Silent Witness's two-parter. Nikki's dad is a piece of work. I'm kind of glad I can't remember how things play out with him. Looking forward to seeing the second part this week.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Quit the Music, a novella that has a family reunion one of the characters isn't sure they want.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Prosper Bates, bartender and music lover, hears Drew Langerford play and his songs haunt her. Drawn to the gorgeous musician, she falls hard for him, but when his mentor shows up, the new relationship may end before it even gets started.

And a snippety peek…

Prosper grabbed whatever she could fit inside a suitcase, an overnight bag, and a backpack.

It's your eighteenth birthday, meaning my obligation is done. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Prosper refused to cry or let the tears gathering in her eyes fall. "Thanks, Lanie. Kick me out three months before graduation." And after midnight.

She zipped up her bags, slipped her backpack over her shoulders and carried the other two into the living room. Prosper kind of hoped her dad would, by some miracle, show up and finally make everything right. Not much chance of that and her mom stood with her arms folded over her chest, tapping her foot on the floor. Prosper wouldn't bother asking if she could at least have twenty bucks to get some food.

Prosper turned before she left the house. "I hope you find your true happiness, Lanie. Have a great rest of your life." She dragged her stuff out the door and headed down the sidewalk.

Mixed feelings of being free and scared at the same time hit her. "What am I supposed to do?" She had nowhere to go.

She wanted to at least graduate. Overwhelmed, she entered the park and sat down on the bench ready to let the tears fail. She had a job, weekends at a small diner, and she could probably get ready for school there. But where could she sleep?

For tonight, right there. She didn't have anywhere else to go and no money to get a room somewhere. Her phone had a full charge but she didn't want to risk using it. The older model didn't stay juiced if she tried to do more than make a call.

A man entered through the gate and Prosper hunched down a little. When he got closer, he shined a flashlight her way. She stared straight ahead, hoping he'd leave.

He didn't. Instead, he made his way toward her. Thankfully, he wore a uniform and a badge.

Stopping beside the bench, he arched an eyebrow. "Miss, what are you doing out after curfew?"

Prosper started to make an explanation then paused. "I'm not out after curfew. I turned eighteen today." A fully functional adult in the eyes of the law. "I don't have one anymore."

The officer stooped down and asked her a gentle question. "Okay, then, what are you doing here?" He rested one arm on his knee.

She didn't know how to respond. The urge to protect her secrets and how much her mother hated her made words stick in her throat. But the officer's understanding gaze showed concern not judgment.

Tears welled in her eyes and Prosper gave a watery answer. "I guess I'm homeless and I didn't know where else to go." Could she sound any more pathetic?

The officer moved up to sit next to her on the beach. "Why don't we start over? I'm George Dearman, an auxiliary officer with the city. And you are?"

She looked up and held his gaze. "Prosper Bates, kicked out my home two hours ago." Her stomach twisted when she said the word aloud.

George gave a nod. "I retired after thirty years on the job. I'm auxiliary now and I patrol the park two nights a week. I'm glad I found you tonight." He pitched his voice a little lower. "Why don't you tell me what's going on…"

Her whole sad and sordid tale spilled out and, by the time the first blue tinge of dawn began, she'd released a lot of her pent-up emotions.

George slowly stood up. "Why don't I take you down to job and family services and we'll see if we can get you into some temporary housing."

Prosper grabbed hold of the lifeline but had to know the reason he gave one to her. "Why are you helping me?"

George didn't hesitate with his answer. "I had a wife and daughter. Both were killed in a head-on collision. My little girl would've been your age."

Prosper paused, hit with a weird notion. "I can't take her place." She wouldn't have a clue how to act like a loving daughter.

George gave her a sad smile. "No. No one can. But if Maddie were still alive, I'd want someone to help her if she ever found herself in a situation like yours."

Prosper didn't say it, but Maddie would never have found herself in a park at the ass crack of dawn.

Because she'd had two loving parents who had given a damn about her.

I'm very pleased with how this story is coming along. Prosper got a rough break but she'll turn things around.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin

No comments:

Post a Comment