Sunday, April 17, 2022

Sunday Snippet: Youth is Overrated

To everyone celebrating a holiday, I hope it's incredible and lovely. To everyone not celebrating a holiday, I hope your weekend is incredible and lovely.

Had a crazy-busy week with a lot of distractions. I got a lot of work done but felt like I kept spinning my wheels, mainly because I'd get interrupted and have to review a lot so I didn't miss anything.

Kind of a slow week of television viewing. I watched two episodes of The Snoopy Show and rather enjoyed both. I'll definitely finish the season that's available.

Caught the second episode of Loch Ness and I'm pretty hooked. There's a lot going on and sometimes doesn't feel like anything is related, but I'm pretty sure there's one single thread that will pull everything together.

Watched two more episodes of Silent Witness. I like getting a little more information on Jack's backstory. He's an interesting character but kind of mysterious.

Finished up an arc of Classic Who and started a new one. Seven kind of gets a raw deal and I'm still not quite sure about Mel. The weird way she got introduced kind of throws me off.

Enjoyed two episodes of The Laundry Guy and have to say this is such a cool show. I don't know if they'll do more episodes, but I'm totally in if they do.

Caught another episode of Hawkeye. I'm very interested in how they're exploring the Ronin angle. I haven't watched all the movies yet but I'm kind of current on what happened. Nice to see a little more detail about this aspect of Clint's character.

Watched the first episode of The Hardy Boys second season. A little disappointed they recast Fenton, but I love the actor who's taken on the role. I'm definitely interested in the new mystery and can't wait to watch more.

Started season eight of Peak Practice. A lot of changes with the move to the new building and a great case of the week. Feels like there might be a lot more drama with rescues and stuff this season.

Enjoyed another MasterClass lesson with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Asking questions is something I wish more people did on a regular basis, especially when mis or disinformation is now the standard.

Caught another episode of Young Wallander: Killer's Shadow. Kurt is kind of walking a fine line and I really do not like the new boss and how he's trying to get rid of Rusk. My one hope is Kurt's friendship with Rez better not go up in flames.

Watched another episode of the Ready Room and thoroughly enjoyed it. Getting to know the actress playing L'Rell was a lot of fun.

Enjoyed an episode of Chicago Med and I liked getting to see Daniel's ex-wife. I'm a little confused because it almost seemed like Robin is his only kid, but I'm certain he had another daughter in an earlier season. Maybe I missed something.

Caught another episode of Cuffs and, again, really enjoyed the character dynamics. I'm beginning to like Jo a lot and I'm still not quite certain what the hell the chief detective has going on in his life aside from the horrible relationship with his dad.

That's pretty much it for television this week. Tonight's post is from Youth is Overrated, a novella that features family dynamics with the main couple helping their oldest son through a rough patch.

Here's the mini-blurb:

Tatum Moore and Fisher Vogler have three grown children and their oldest is considering divorce. When he seeks advice from his parents, they try not to interfere but provide insight into a passionate opposites attract marriage and how to make it work.

And a snippety peek…

Tatum took a long sip of her coffee then set the mug aside. "Okay, Jame. What I'm about to tell you kind of falls under the too much information category, but you need context so deal with it." She drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "You already get the instant-attraction thing, since you and Reagan sparked that way when you met." Her gaze shifted to Fisher. "Your dad and I experienced the same thing."

Her mind drifted back to the first moment she spied Fisher in Shaunessey's bar. She'd knocked off from her job as a theater set designer and ducked into the pub. Fisher laughed at something a coworker said and an electric zing traveled down her spine.

Basically, she strolled in, took one look, and decided to stake her claim from the word go.

And she knew in her bones there'd be no one else for her. Not exactly a great thing, because they wouldn't have it easy. Not with her family's track record.

Didn't matter. Not when his gaze zeroed in on her and he left his friends and made a beeline straight toward her. Yep, definitely planned to go home with him that night.

He nodded toward the counter. "Buy you a beer?"

She shook her head. "I'll get mine. But find a table and I'll join you."

Two hours later, she had the pertinent details. Fisher worked for the big factory brewery—thankfully, she'd chosen one of the brands he made—and had the weekend off. No siblings, parents were an hour away, and he didn't have a significant other.

She shared her information. Her job as a set designer with a local theater company kept her busy, she had stepparents—second stepdad, third stepmom—and one brother who moved as far away as possible to never have to deal with the parental drama again. And she absolutely didn't have a boyfriend.

Fisher glanced toward the exit. "Live about five miles from here. Come home with me?"

She didn't have to think twice. "Love to. My car's at the theater. Can I get a ride back … later?"

He gave a nod and they dashed for the exit.

Tatum shrugged. "I'll spare you the details of that first sex-filled weekend, but it turned into an overwhelming desire to be with each other constantly. And trouble soon followed."

Jamie frowned. "What do you mean? You've been together over twenty years."

Tatum huffed out a laugh. "Sure. But I decided it's not healthy to be so wrapped up in each other. I really battled with wanting and needing your dad so much."  If everything went sideways, she wouldn't be able to deal.

Jamie cocked his head. "So, you freaked out."

Tatum's lips curved. "In a word, yes. And your dad didn't get it. His background didn't match mine when it came to being able to cope with life. His thought was why worry?"

Jamie snorted. "I'll be that went over well."

She laughed. "Yeah, not so much. I had a career I was just getting started in and I loved it. I had crap examples for how to be a grown-up because neither of my parents acted like one. And I met a guy that seemed to consume my every waking moment. Freaking out definitely occurred and I had to figure out what move to make."

And, boy, did she go way off the range when that happened.

I love writing this story. It's a little different for me and a bit of a challenge but it's coming together better than I'd hoped.


 

That's it for this week. Happy reading!

Skylin 

No comments:

Post a Comment